A500 or 727 trans?.... Need help to identify...

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I am starting on the process of swapping out my 318 for a 360, the donor truck is a 1989 3/4 ton. It does NOT have an overdrive tranny... At least as far as I can tell. It is no longer driveable, and I did not recall it shifting into an overdrive. And it does not have an overdrive indicator on the selector. So... I got up under there and took a picture of the pan (thanks dart-doctor for posting the diagrams) and to me it looks like a 727. I measured from the bellhousing to the tranny mount and came up with 23 inches, could have been 23 1/2. I only got one decent pic of the pan (see below) but could this be an A500? I don't know what an A500 pan looks like, that's where I need your help...:happy4:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 159
I'm hoping it is a 727, that way I can swap the engine and tranny at the same time which will take care of the externally balanced thing, and looks like I will only have to have my driveline shortened. Looks like it will just bolt right up.

The 727 will have a pretty thin tailshaft, the 500 will have a fat tail section that contains another overdrive planetary. Pans can be deceiving.

No that is not an overdrive , they have a much thicker pan as the valve body hangs down lower that a 727/904. Also will have a electric connection for the solenoid that controls the overdrive.

No that is not an overdrive , they have a much thicker pan as the valve body hangs down lower that a 727/904. Also will have a electric connection for the solenoid that controls the overdrive.

blown is right.. an OD trans runs a deep pan..

also a 500 is out of the question anyway.. with that pan it would have to be a 518 if it was an OD trans..

I am starting on the process of swapping out my 318 for a 360, the donor truck is a 1989 3/4 ton. It does NOT have an overdrive tranny... At least as far as I can tell. It is no longer driveable, and I did not recall it shifting into an overdrive. And it does not have an overdrive indicator on the selector. So... I got up under there and took a picture of the pan (thanks dart-doctor for posting the diagrams) and to me it looks like a 727. I measured from the bellhousing to the tranny mount and came up with 23 inches, could have been 23 1/2. I only got one decent pic of the pan (see below) but could this be an A500? I don't know what an A500 pan looks like, that's where I need your help...:happy4:

Definitely a 727. And btw, mopar overdrives don't have a different select lever. Looks just like a std 3 speed selector since the 50's. Their OD selector is a push button on the dash

BTW: you mentioned using it will take care of the balancing problem and I agree it will. But remember you will either have to buy a different driveshaft or pay to have yours cut down and re-balanced. Have you priced that? I absolutely guarantee it'll cost you more than the converter I showed you in the other thread. Don't take it I'm trying to be pushy but I think your making a huge mistake using a 727 cause like I said it's way overkill for your application and will only suck more life out of the already low hp 89 360. If you were running a blown 700 hp monster I'd say yeah the 727's good, but your not.

-
Back