A53 1969 Barracuda Formula S Convertible!

-

Rod Man

"Perfection is never reached." ~Ettore Bugatti
Reaction score
I've come across a couple that has a deteriorated A53 1969 Barracuda convertible with 340 4bbl. They plan to sell it and I'm curious of what the going rate is for one of these is?
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG

BH27:
Plymouth Barracuda
Deluxe
Convertible

P9B: 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

101067: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
Y2: Yellow Exterior Color
D6P: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Pale Yellow/Black
X9: Black Int. Door Frames
801: Build Date: August 01
964048: Order number

A01: Light Group
A53: Formula S Package
A86: 69 only Interior Decor Group
B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel

C55: Bucket Seats
G31: OS RH Manual Standard Mirror
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M25: Wide sill moldings

M31: Belt Moldings
N85: Tachometer
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V3X: Black Convertible Top
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black

END: End of Sales Codes

Really cool, but super rough. Not very much I would say. If it has matching numbers everything MAYBE 5 grand?

How are the floors and trunk? Gauging from the rest of the car probably not good!??

If it doesn't have matching anything I wouldn't want to pay more 1500-2000 for the salvageable parts..

Last edited:
wow, that looks pretty rough. I don't really know what they go for finished, but I'd congratulate anybody who could restore it, because it was a nicely optioned car. Is that an underdash 8-track, hahaha. That's kind of a time capsule.

That's the tough part. The thing is pretty freakin cool just for what it is, but it is pretty rough. I actually own a restoration shop, so I could do it, but I can't afford my own labor! Lol. Gotta love the 8 track. ;)
wow, that looks pretty rough. I don't really know what they go for finished, but I'd congratulate anybody who could restore it, because it was a nicely optioned car. Is that an underdash 8-track, hahaha. That's kind of a time capsule.

Well they are rare, we are still working on a 69 Formula S 340 4-speed with factory A/C convertible that is rougher than the one you are looking at. Luckily ours is all numbers matching but rusted so bad the whole front frame had to be replaced. So far is has taken another notchback and Dart convertible to get the body back in shape.

IM000863.JPG

IM000308.JPG

IM000309.JPG

That Plum Crazy paint is not original, so there might be more rust hiding underneath. Not a project we'd lightly attempt on the west coast...

1k or less.

Lots of work there for sure. We would all like to see it saved but I think from the pics every panel and more that can not be saved needs attention!

you can buy a very nice "driver" formula s 340 cuda convertable for around $25k. i have seen 318 "verts" sell for less than that. it would take AT LEAST $35k to have the above car restored by a shop (maybe more) and AT LEAST $20k if you did all the work yourself. i am not a convertible fan, but if i were, knowing the costs of parts and paint for these cars, i would not pay more than $2000 for this car.

Someone looking for 69 340 motor (if it still has it and it's not cracked) would likely pay $2500 for it as a parts car and probably get the motor for free by parting the car out so I can't see it going for much less than that in the open market.

If you're the dealing with the owner exclusively,start around $1500 and see what happens.

Hopefully someone will fall in love with it and have it restored,it would be a really cool and rare ride if it were restored to stock.

I could buy a nice one and be driving it today for less that it would cost to get that thing back on the road again.

I do this stuff for a living. I would charge a MINIMUM of $30,000 just to restore the body, based on that one pic.

The final price would likely be higher.

The rust I SEE is not a huge problem. Here is, as I am sure you are aware, the big problem. The rust I DON'T see. How are the front and rear frame rails, and the wheel wells, and the front inner fender skirts, and floors, and floor braces, and trunk floor, and trunk floor extensions..... Here is the deal. If you can do all the work yourself, go for it!!! If you can't, RUN!!! In my opinion, you will have at least $75,000 in it if you have to pay someone else to do the work. Rust repair is expensive and almost ALWAYS worse than first looks. Then there is paint, engine and tranny rebuild, rear end rebuild (you should assume they all need rebuilt), Interior (it all looks shot), wheels and tires (at least a grand), New bumpers (or chome the old ones), Chrome plate a LOT of other stuff, and several thousand for misc. If you do buy it, I'd start at $1500 and go NO higher than $2500.

Last edited:
Without seeing a lot more pictures. It looks rough. I know its a convertible but I just sold a 68 Barracuda 383 number matching 4 speed fastback all original parts still on the car (the interior was in super nice shape) with paper work needing full restoration I sold it for 7500.00. Looking at this car I would say 4000.00 to 8000.00. The restoration will cost 25,000.00 (thats if you do all the work)and up 50K?

A restoration of ANY car is a minimum of $30K and usually closer to $70K, even if it is a slant six car or worse, a Chivvy or Ferd! We did a slant six Dart GT convertible for an original owner 15 years ago and he had almost $75K in it when complete. No car is worth restoring for a profit, unless if course it is a Hemi car, then you will still not make much money. Those who think they can do it for less will have a car that will look like less, buy it an restore it if you like it, no if you are planning on making money.

A restoration of ANY car is a minimum of $30K and usually closer to $70K, even if it is a slant six car or worse, a Chivvy or Ferd! We did a slant six Dart GT convertible for an original owner 15 years ago and he had almost $75K in it when complete. No car is worth restoring for a profit, unless if course it is a Hemi car, then you will still not make much money. Those who think they can do it for less will have a car that will look like less, buy it an restore it if you like it, no if you are planning on making money.

This is very well out and I couldn't agree more. I have experienced it first hand. Usually the only person who wins is the one buying the high quality restored car as they seldom will sell for what has been put into them, with only a few exceptions perhaps.

As for the value of the car in question, again, I would treat it more of a 'what are the parts worth approach'

I have same car but 4spd. Needs a fair amount of work. I paid $2k twenty years ago. $20k wont buy it now.
Very very few of these anywhere.
Complete grills in average shape bring $500. Lemme know about the grills lol

You disagree with my post that the car is only worth as much a thousand?
To much?
Worth less?
No argument there!

Well, I didn't say anything regarding what I thought of your opinion, but because you are asking, yes I disagree with you. It's parts are worth more than that.
A complete a body sure grip diff is worth close to a grand ($1000) all by itself. A 340 motor x heads and manifolds.... Well, you can do the math. Then there is a lot more on that car after all that.

I sold a 69 dart hardtop, slant six in the same condition here in the midwest for 2,200 bucks last year. I could have sold five of them. That car is 3,500 easy. I wish it were here.

The best thing was the kid was barely 20, full of VIM and vinegar. He loved the car, and looked forward to restoring the car. I sold a 69' Barracuda just as rough the year before, no drivetrain(318 car) to another young kid, full of excitement. Not to labor the point, but I also sold a 340 duster body, no drivetrain for 2,400 bucks to another young kid. They were all rough like this Cuda. That 340 drivetrain alone is worth big bucks.That is the future of the Hobby!

I sold a 69 dart hardtop, slant six in the same condition here in the midwest for 2,200 bucks last year. I could have sold five of them. That car is 3,500 easy. I wish it were here.
Clay Center, Kansas is only a few hours drive from Omaha.....
It's even closer to where I live, but that car isn't for me. Now if it was a rough 64 Sport Fury Convertible, I'd be on it like stink on poo. next to my Cuda, That is my dream car.

-
Back