-
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinh

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
To the inexpereinced eye this trans looks fine, but the tip of the input shaft (about 1 1/2 inch) is cleanly cracked off. Trans shifted perfectly when in the car. $450. Trans only. No shifter, tabs or linkage. Part is located in Detroit, MI

To the inexpereinced eye this trans looks fine, but the tip of the input shaft (about 1 1/2 inch) is cleanly cracked off. Trans shifted perfectly when in the car. $450. Trans only. No shifter, tabs or linkage.

Someone put it behind a cast crank engine with no pilot hole.

Someone put it behind a cast crank engine with no pilot hole.

Yes - he's serious. Nothing wrong with the transmission - you just need to run the pilot bearing assembly from a Dakota rather than a pilot bushing. Done it several times myself.

Oh, I get it. I thought he meant the PO had tried to run it unsupported. Silly me. I run the Dak bearing too, but with an uncut input, into a 71 auto crank.

I'm ok now, "drive through". Sorry..

Oh, I get it. I thought he meant the PO had tried to run it unsupported. Silly me. I run the Dak bearing too, but with an uncut input, into a 71 auto crank.

I'm ok now, "drive through". Sorry..

I know this because I've had to repair cars that had this done, and they ran it unsupported. The clutch would eventually fail, but not before they could send it down the road and make a profit. It was typically flippers in the '80s and '90s that would stick a cheap low comp 400 or 440 and worn out 23 spline 4 speed into a plain-jane car and dress it up like a muscle car with bondo and a Maaco paint job and cheap mags. Non-car guys that always wanted a RR or Charger would piss themselves after dropping the clutch for the first time ever, shell out thousands more than it was worth.

The Dakota bearing eliminates the need for the older style pilot hole, so it's a good work-around for all the hacked input shafts.

It's not a modification. You go and order the clutch pilot bearing from a parts store. It's a needle bearing rather than a bushing, and it presses into the crank's convertor hub rather than the pilot bushing bore. Because the input is supported, but further up the input shaft, the input can be trimmed down a bit. With some measuring it means you can run a non-reamed, or non-drilled crankshaft with a 4sp. It's also a valid repair for a damaged input from a sized pilot bushing.

I don't want to go to $400, so I will just keep it and toss it into storage. Thanks for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back