A833 Can't Downshift / Poor Performance

-
Inspect everything when you get it apart. Replace all the bearings, bushing and seals. get a new countershaft. check thrust clearance on the cluster gear. get new synchro assys. check sychronizer teeth on gears, check interlock mechanism on side cover.

Double clutching would be needed without syncros iirx. I have a 5sp in my Mazda truck that can just shift up without a clutch. Just pull it toward the next gear and when you let off the gas the decelerating will allow it to drop right in without any clutch work and without any grinding but this won't happen downshifting. Old VW bugs have points on the speedo called out that my VW friend told me were points where you could up shift it without a clutch...? Ill vote for syncros worn out.

Quick update: Tried 3.5 qts. of RedLine MT-90. No dice, gonna pull it tomorrow evening and check out the insides to see what's wrong.

Took apart the transmission today, here are the "new" synchro's I pulled out of this "rebuilt" transmission lol. At least 2 of them like this... Was assured on the phone they would be new when I got the transmission.

I don't think I could have broken them. I maybe went 10 miles on this transmission just on cruises up and down the street, and its shifted like trash since mile 0.

The craziest part is I didn't just buy this from a random guy - this was a business with quite a few rebuilt things for sale. Lesson learned. Adding insult to injury - called this guy on Monday to get this shipped back. Listened to his 3 minute pity party for the millionth time. Not a peep since then. Sent this guy maybe 7-8 emails since the beginning of May - all unanswered. Just me venting at this point, but man what an odyssey to get to this point.

upload_2021-6-10_12-16-16.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm probably the second or third hardest shifting guy still alive on the face of the Earth,lol, since 1970; and
I have never broken a brass ring, ever.
I have no idea how that can even happen.
I've seen it in Saginaws, but never in a Mopar.
If I was a betting man, I'd bet a million dollars that didn't break of abuse by you.

lets see the other side, maybe they are new. But if they are I sure would never buy another brass ring from that supplier. One defective ring is hard enough to believe, but two in the same box? nun-un

I'm probably the second or third hardest shifting guy still alive on the face of the Earth,lol, since 1970; and
I have never broken a brass ring, ever.
I have no idea how that can even happen.
I've seen it in Saginaws, but never in a Mopar.
If I was a betting man, I'd bet a million dollars that didn't break of abuse by you.

lets see the other side, maybe they are new. But if they are I sure would never buy another brass ring from that supplier. One defective ring is hard enough to believe, but two in the same box? nun-un

Yep. I’ve broke a ton of parts but I’ve never done that to a syncro.

I think you've found your problem, but wanted to share a similar experience with shift issues.

Had a buddy who bought the whole 4spd conversion kit for his ebody as "new". Everything came in nice crates, and all the parts definitely looked like brand new OEM stuff.

We get the car together, and it won't shift. Did all the same dance with oil changes and trying to adjust every damn thing and replacing parts. Still shifts like trash.

Finally yank the trans and decide to see if we can spot anything obviously wrong. Got the side cover off and within a minute we had jammed one of the sliders. Couldn't get it back to neutral!

We go over to my used up, wore out core I hadn't yet rebuilt and immediately notice the gears are closer together at 3 and 4.

Turns out, his trans had a snap ring that was too thick. The one that holds the output shaft bearing in the tail housing. It didn't seat in the machined groove and the bearing moved when he tried to shift. The sliders were all fubar because the whole cluster had shifted back and so nothing would align except once in a random while. So we carefully sanded the ring down about .003" and it snapped in snug (took a few dozen tries, didn't want to go too thin! And had to keep it even).

Put it all back together and not a single problem since.

Probably unrelated, but I figure someone else will eventually have a similar experience and the info might help them when they go searching ;)

Took apart the transmission today, here are the "new" synchro's I pulled out of this "rebuilt" transmission lol. At least 2 of them like this... Was assured on the phone they would be new when I got the transmission.

I don't think I could have broken them. I maybe went 10 miles on this transmission just on cruises up and down the street, and its shifted like trash since mile 0.

The craziest part is I didn't just buy this from a random guy - this was a business with quite a few rebuilt things for sale. Lesson learned. Adding insult to injury - called this guy on Monday to get this shipped back. Listened to his 3 minute pity party for the millionth time. Not a peep since then. Sent this guy maybe 7-8 emails since the beginning of May - all unanswered. Just me venting at this point, but man what an odyssey to get to this point.

View attachment 1715749991

Not new. I doubt it was rebuilt. Look at everything. Synchro assys are very suspect now.

Yep. I’ve broke a ton of parts but I’ve never done that to a syncro.
Since it's the struts that do the pushing, and they are spring-loaded, there is only a small amount of force that can be transferred to the ring from the slider, before the slider pops over the struts; I just can't see it ever being abuse.

I'd like to assemble those parts in a press and see how much hydraulic power it actually takes to break a ring like that............I bet it takes a lot.
But, for all the talk, Chrysler did redesign those rings in 1971. Maybe this is why.......
I mean I know you know this, I'm just musing.

-
Back