A833 rebuild, remove tailshaft bushing?

-

SuperStock

Reaction score
Im rebuilding A833, tailshaft busing need replace. I went to local auto part shop, cant find appropriate tool for it.

How did you do? what tools did you use and who carry them?

Any help would be very appreciated.

I ended up getting a chisel behind it and kinking the bushing in to take the pressure off of it. It's so thin it's hard to get good pressure on it to push it out. The one I took out was a flat one or whatever that has the tabs that get pressed together when it gets made into a circle if that makes any sense. It was easier to separate it along that line and fold the thing up to get it out.

I used a piece of roundstock, I dont remember the exact size, and pouned it in towards the vent baffle. I may have had to turn it on my lathe. A cheap socket may work too, just get the O.D. of the new bushing, and get a socket thats close.

If that bushing is as thin as many I have seen, (and removed), you will need the following..........

A a piece of round stock,(steel), about 6" long, or longer.

At least 1" of one end should be about .003-.004 under the I.D. of the bushing, then there is a step up to a size that is .003-.004 under the size of the O.D. of the bushing.

This O.D. should be long enough that it is a fair bit longer than the bushings overall length.

The smaller O.D. acts as a pilot and keeps things centered and the shoulder of the larger O.D. drives the bushing out.

Use a press or a mallet.

To acquire the tool, scurry up a piece of material, and ask a friend to turn it on a lathe, or show up at the back door of a machine shop with a drawing & cold six pack and ask for the foreman.

If you don't have either of those options, send me a drawing and I will do it for the price of a six pack.

Taking the size from the main shaft where it rides in the bushing is just fine for the pilot diameter.

I use a spare slipyoke with a piece of steel tubing welded to it as bushing driver, it works better when the trans is assembled, the output shaft acts as a guide. If all else fails you could just drop the tailshaft off at a tranny rebuilder and have them do it.

I ended up using steel saw cutting the bushing along the oil line in the case. Took me 30 min.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Now I have problem with countershaft removal. I using plastic hammer and thick bolt in front the case, trying to drive it out but no luck.

I saw the woodruff Key, I see it moving but I know know if I need to take it off in order to remove the countershaft? (and how to take the woodruff key out?)

Thanks in advance

img5629m.jpg

Just drive it towards the rear of the of the trans, the key is there just to prevent the shaft from moving forward.
When you go to reassemble the trans a piece of 1/2 condut cut long enough to hold the two counter shaft thust washers, works excellent to put the counter shaft in.
I just got finished rebuilding one and I took quite a few pictures.

If you look hard in the pic you can see how the key way is on the shaft.
All the key way does is keep the shaft from moving forwards in the trans.
Sorry about the poor pic.

photofdg.jpg

Just drive it towards the rear of the of the trans, the key is there just to prevent the shaft from moving forward.
When you go to reassemble the trans a piece of 1/2 condut cut long enough to hold the two counter shaft thust washers, works excellent to put the counter shaft in.
I just got finished rebuilding one and I took quite a few pictures.

So I just use hammer to tap the countershaft out? How hard is it?

I did use big plastic hammer, tapped very hard but it does not seem to work. Is something wrong with countershaft like it worn out and it stuck in the case, is it possible? (I never rebuild A833 before)

Im thinking of using bigger hammer, but Im afraid I will break the case, any suggestion would very appreciated.

-
Back