A833 side cover swap question

-

IdahoCarson

Reaction score
I have a 1975 iron case 833od for my Valiant. I’m going to open it up for inspection and would like to put it back together with a ball and detent side cover. From what I grasp from Jamie Passon’s book if I cut the pin extensions off the shift forks it will work. Is there anything I’m missing here?

Why?
Either system works just fine in a streeter.

Before you do it; Install the cover with no forks and the two correct long-shoulder bolts; then make sure you can shift into/out of reverse with no trouble.

Why?
Either system works just fine in a streeter.

Before you do it; Install the cover with no forks and the two correct long-shoulder bolts; then make sure you can shift into/out of reverse with no trouble.
I have the ball and detent cover from a spare case and everything I have read leads me believe they’re smoother shifting. I’ll be sure to check that, thanks.

Easier maybe but Not smoother. But I'm a 200 pounder so when I put some muscle on my Shifter, it does what I tell it too. The cover is the smallest resistor to shifting.

I guarantee you that on the street there is as good as no difference, I've been driving various Mopar 4 speeds since 1970, almost continuously. If you put me in identical cars with the only difference being the covers, I seriously doubt I would be able to tell the difference. Well maybe I could, but would I care? no. But if you already have the parts, well then .....
Btw having been a Mopar shifter for 50 years, I can tell you that the rooster comb is better at keeping the trans in gear on deceleration, after it begins jumping out, because of abuse to the coast side of the clutching teeth. Second gear is always the one to go first. This gives you a couple of weeks to make the fix.

Easier maybe but Not smoother. But I'm a 200 pounder so when I put some muscle on my Shifter, it does what I tell it too. The cover is the smallest resistor to shifting.

I guarantee you that on the street there is as good as no difference, I've been driving various Mopar 4 speeds since 1970, almost continuously. If you put me in identical cars with the only difference being the covers, I seriously doubt I would be able to tell the difference. Well maybe I could, but would I care? no. But if you already have the parts, well then .....
Btw having been a Mopar shifter for 50 years, I can tell you that the rooster comb is better at keeping the trans in gear on deceleration, after it begins jumping out, because of abuse to the coast side of the clutching teeth. Second gear is always the one to go first. This gives you a couple of weeks to make the fix.
Thank you for all your insight. I’m tearing the car down pretty far down anyway. This is my first A833 my A100 is three speed and my Trailduster is np435.

The earlier side cover was considered more "robust" for use with the "slick-shift" trans, where every shift was a power shift .

-
Back