A855 - 5 Speed

-
yea this thread sure would make most go that route. plus in 5 years you know you'll still be able to get tremec parts if ya need them.

This thread makes me super nervous! I got my A855 almost 2 years ago and I’m just getting ready to install it in my car, hopefully in the next few weeks.

61DCD16A-7AC6-48ED-8E2D-9AF4BFA51BEA.jpeg

yea this thread sure would make most go that route. plus in 5 years you know you'll still be able to get tremec parts if ya need them.

But he won't because they are a well built transmission.

It'd be fun to go through the failed trans to find out why it wouldn't stay in gear. "Fun" being defined as 'not the guy who suffered and paid for it'.....!

It'd be fun to go through the failed trans to find out why it wouldn't stay in gear. "Fun" being defined as 'not the guy who suffered and paid for it'.....!

Yep. I’d love to see inside one of those. I can’t imagine what they screwed up to make it not stay in gear.

Ok, damn...from what I can see I like. I like the rail guided sliders. I like the oversized sliders and shift mechanism on the side cover.

I like the the engineering like the Oring on the side cover. Nice big dowel pins.

It stuns me this thing won’t stay in gear. Just baffles me it won’t and boggles my mind that it can’t be fixed.

How sad it is that all this potential for a 5 speed that doesn’t require hacking up the car is being wasted.

Just damn.

Things tend to stay where you put them, unless something forces them to move. Isaac Hayes said that a long time ago, and it still is true. Damn right. So....once it goes into gear, there has to be a significant 'something' causing it to go back out. I don't recall reading if the trans would stay in gear IF the shifter was held in place? And if so, could the driver feel it trying to pop out?

Ok, damn...from what I can see I like. I like the rail guided sliders. I like the oversized sliders and shift mechanism on the side cover.

I like the the engineering like the Oring on the side cover. Nice big dowel pins.

It stuns me this thing won’t stay in gear. Just baffles me it won’t and boggles my mind that it can’t be fixed.

How sad it is that all this potential for a 5 speed that doesn’t require hacking up the car is being wasted.

Just damn.

It CAN be fixed. They simply "will not".

For sure. One fast way to fix it is replace it with completely different trans.

I see that Passon updated their website. He has the Worman gang advertising now and on the new transmissions and when you click on the A855-it says no stock.

So....once it goes into gear, there has to be a significant 'something' causing it to go back out.

It would sometimes go into gear and stay.
The vast majority of the time it would be in gear but you could tell it wasn't. Then just wait and pop, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but never related to speed, rpm, acceleration, etc.
I posted a video from under the car, putting it into gear with a wrench, and it would click twice. Turn the crank, and eventually find a spot that seemed to be in gear.

I don't recall reading if the trans would stay in gear IF the shifter was held in place? And if so, could the driver feel it trying to pop out?

Hold shifter in place, it would stay, let go and pop.
After a year, I started to believe I could tell, with some accuracy, when it wasn't going to stay, right when I shifted into 4th.
However, I was accurate because it just wouldn't stay.
Harder to tell when it was going to stay.

To clarify, again, it popped out for them as well, both times it went back, as well as the other trans in their test car, twice.

I posted another video without the boot and it made a horrible noise in forth, especially when holding it in gear.
Also a strange sound in neutral.

One of the last rides the kid and I tried to guess when it would stay or not, iirc it stayed once and the reality is we always guessed it wouldn't.
It became too frustrating and I skipped 4th on the way back.

It was at times a heck of a thing when it popped, so you didn't want that.

Thing is, I realized how dangerous it was driving around with the focus on the shifter and not on the road.

It seems many on here are constantly thinking, questioning, trying to figure it out, but those who continue to sell it aren't interested.

Why would machining the case be an option to attempt, make any difference? And why would it not be needed for any working trans?

Why would a 'heavier' side cover spring make a difference, why would they even think that?
Why would they want to send me a new side cover with the new fancy spring when it's easy peasy to just pull the cover and remove the spring?

These questions are as meaningless as the answers.

Look back at the emails I posted, consecutive emails with no logical flow whatsoever, ignoring their own data and testing results.

I talk too much.

To borrow a line, with a slight modification:

At least you know that "<insert anything on this topic>" means absolutely nothing.

My gut feel, from a thousand miles away, is they machined something out of proper alignment. If you have two shafts operating in parallel, good things happen. Move them a little out of parallel and bad things start happening fast.

My gut feel, from a thousand miles away, is they machined something out of proper alignment. If you have two shafts operating in parallel, good things happen. Move them a little out of parallel and bad things start happening fast.

That is a likely explanation since 4th is "straight through". Input shaft connected directly to output shaft...

Also, they have sold hundreds(?) of these transmissions and they don't "all do that". So something is different about Matt's unit! This is not difficult to understand - although I cannot understand their refusal to investigate, let alone make it right. Especially for almost six large.

So something is different about Matt's unit!

And the replacement, and other a-body and b-body trans.
And for some reason the options were fix my trans or fix the other replacement trans, no other trans available.

I think it is time to put this thread to bed and agree that Passon Performance is a Hose Job, Cheat Job low life organization. So BUYER BEWARE. If they go bankrupt, they deserve it. Let's focus on GOOD vendors. Silver Sport sells PROVEN Tremec 5 and 6 transmissions as a kit that will fit. I have never heard any complaints about them. Granted they might need a little massaging, but that is better than a perfect fit 855 that doesn't work. If you need 4 speed stuff, call Brewer's Performance. They are GOOD people who do good work and sell top quality parts. The horse is dead.

@matthon
Glad the saga is over, and you got your refund. Thanks for sharing this with us.
My Roadrunner has been in the shop since June, getting multiple new systems, parts, and reinforcements done. Running, driving car, but multiple upgrades needed to be installed, some of those parts had been waiting to go in for 3 years.
I had an opportunity last October 2019 to buy a bunch of stuff for my Roadrunner and my wife's GTO that allowed us to check off almost all of the boxes of "things we want to do" to our cars. Wife gave the OK to put most on the credit card, and my bank account had a nice balance, so the ability to buy was there, the authorization was there, and the last day of the booths set up by the vendors at Cruisin the Coast meant the best prices I'd ever get, ever.
So to get to the point, and why I'm posting this in this thread:
I've had a Passon 5 speed for about 2½ years, and it works fine. I have (actually Passon has, my 833 since May of 2018, the third time I've sent it back to have a "popping out of 2nd gear" problem fixed that started after they did the initial work on it, which was over 4 years ago) an 18 spline a833 for backup, but only as a temporary way to be able to drive my car should the 855 require service, because I'm hooked on the 4.10 gears in my Dana 60 WITH an overdrive transmission. It's definitely a having my cake and eating it too situation. I have had a lot of work done to my car as part of this round of labor to get it ready for a 541 BMP aluminum stroker that I expect will be in the range of high 6XX to 700 horsepower and torque. That is supposed to be within the capabilities of the 855 to handle. Now that I've read through this and personally experienced having my 833 waiting for over 2 years for repair the 3rd time, needless to say I have no confidence that if I should need service on the 855, it would get fixed within any reasonable time frame and that would mean I'd be using the 833 standby transmission for a lot longer than I'd want to.
I've looked at Jericho and G-Force 5 speeds.
Can anyone recommend a 5 speed OD transmission that can handle high HP and torque (appx 700 HP/TQ)
and do you know how much cutting or modification of a 70 Roadrunner is required to make it fit?
Does anyone have any comments about G-Force or Jericho transmissions?
Thanks.

I can not even comprehend the tooling costs associated with making that Passon 5-speed.....

@matthon
Glad the saga is over, and you got your refund. Thanks for sharing this with us.
My Roadrunner has been in the shop since June, getting multiple new systems, parts, and reinforcements done. Running, driving car, but multiple upgrades needed to be installed, some of those parts had been waiting to go in for 3 years.
I had an opportunity last October 2019 to buy a bunch of stuff for my Roadrunner and my wife's GTO that allowed us to check off almost all of the boxes of "things we want to do" to our cars. Wife gave the OK to put most on the credit card, and my bank account had a nice balance, so the ability to buy was there, the authorization was there, and the last day of the booths set up by the vendors at Cruisin the Coast meant the best prices I'd ever get, ever.
So to get to the point, and why I'm posting this in this thread:
I've had a Passon 5 speed for about 2½ years, and it works fine. I have (actually Passon has, my 833 since May of 2018, the third time I've sent it back to have a "popping out of 2nd gear" problem fixed that started after they did the initial work on it, which was over 4 years ago) an 18 spline a833 for backup, but only as a temporary way to be able to drive my car should the 855 require service, because I'm hooked on the 4.10 gears in my Dana 60 WITH an overdrive transmission. It's definitely a having my cake and eating it too situation. I have had a lot of work done to my car as part of this round of labor to get it ready for a 541 BMP aluminum stroker that I expect will be in the range of high 6XX to 700 horsepower and torque. That is supposed to be within the capabilities of the 855 to handle. Now that I've read through this and personally experienced having my 833 waiting for over 2 years for repair the 3rd time, needless to say I have no confidence that if I should need service on the 855, it would get fixed within any reasonable time frame and that would mean I'd be using the 833 standby transmission for a lot longer than I'd want to.
I've looked at Jericho and G-Force 5 speeds.
Can anyone recommend a 5 speed OD transmission that can handle high HP and torque (appx 700 HP/TQ)
and do you know how much cutting or modification of a 70 Roadrunner is required to make it fit?
Does anyone have any comments about G-Force or Jericho transmissions?
Thanks.

The T56 magnum is also rated for 700 ft lbs. And you will have to cut your floor and cross-member. SST has a kit, I don't know what they do for the top of the crossmember but I'm sure its made by ToddRon Restorations which made the crossmember kit I used on my car. ToddRon Restorations

I would imagine a jerico or g-force would also fit in your tunnel with the T56 Magnum kit. For a street car I would think you would like the T56 magnum better, they shift like absolute butter. You can also get a faceplated or dogbox one IIRC

Passon 5-speed
Didn't design it, doesn't machine the parts, doesn't build it, doesn't test it, doesn't ship it, doesn't do the warranty work, doesn't get the money you pay for it, doesn't want to spend his precious time dealing with customers, doesn't take responsibility for it.

Screenshot_20200905-214907.jpg

And you will have to cut your floor and cross-member. SST has a kit, I don't know what they do for the top of the crossmember but I'm sure its made by ToddRon Restorations which made the crossmember kit I used on my car. ToddRon Restorations

Haha! Wrong!
I bought a complete TKO600 kit from SST for my A body in June and it does NOT include an upper crossmember piece. The lower bolt in trans mount is nice though.

That's right, I guess they are relying on the sheetmetal pieces they supply to restore the integrity. I talked to two SST reps at Caflisle in July and asked them about it. They feel it is not required. I asked if they did testing and the answer I got was not very assuring at all. Just something about driving around and then putting weight on the fabbed tunnel. Speaking of which, the instructions say to fasten the tunnel cover with sheet metal screws! You can see the instruction sheet on their web site.
Being retired from engineering, I'm going to make my own upper.

-
Back