A904 inspection cover fitment with mini-starter

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I finally got my A904 (for small block) and I seem to have the correct inspection cover, it fits perfectly, see pic. My mini-starter also fits the bell housing perfectly. But, the starter and inspection cover don't align properly. Question: do I trim the inspection cover a bit, or is there one that does fit this mini-starter (later mid-2000's model, fit my slant six perfectly with the inspection cover)? The starter is a Remy 16054, for 5.7L

Anyone done this already?

Brian

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
I have mini starters on 2 904s and never ran into this issue.

I have one - mini starter on my 66’ 904 and no troubles.
It is for a 96 Dakota with the V8 not the 5.7 hemi.

My 72’ Demon 340 and manual trans also has a shield. Same starter and no issues.
I wonder if it is just that starter and the HEMI is the same, but different if you get my drift. Either modify the shield or change the starter.

Did you check the fit with the big Chrys starter? If it fits the problem is with the starter, if it doesn't the problem is with the shield.

EDIT: Many people think the "Remy is a "Delco-Remy" quality starter. It is not. It is a Chinese knock-off. I cannot comment on the quality. It might have a flaw in the casting.

Last edited:
Any dust cover that would have been on a vehicle that had a 5.7 Hemi will not fit up to a 904. I would just trim the 904 dust cover a little at a time until the starter bolt holes line up, add just a teeny bit more clearance between the edge of the cover and the starter and send it.

Just curious what your combo is and why you chose that starter? I have read on here that a starter from a 2005 Dodge pickup with a 5.7 Hemi and a straight drive trans will bolt to our old 904/727/833 bellhousings and provide better clearance for headers. I've been keeping that in mind for my 65 Barracuda that will have a later 833 bellhousing along with Dougs D450 headers.

Hmmm, well the starter fit on my slant just fine, with the inspection cover, but the slant also had a separate little starter shield, it wasn't part of the inspection shield, per se. I chose this starter because I didn't want to buy a new one and it works great. I don't have a regular big chrysler starter to check with. Obviously the shield is correct, as all the bolt holes line up perfectly.

My combo is a 360 magnum/A904. So nobody uses this starter on this combo?

I'll probably just trim the shield a bit...

Last edited:
OK, so it took just a tiny bit of metal off, that little protrusion and it fits fine. See pics below.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I looked up the starter on Rock Auto, and the one in their pic has the top bolt hole in the starter with threads in that hole. Did you have to ream the threads out so you could get the top bolt to go in from the front instead of the back? Glad you got it to fit with just a little snipping.

:thumbsup:

I don't have the answer, but you can not go by online parts photos. They often swap photos around.

Definitely will be checking torque converter fitment, but I have no worries whatsoever that it won't fit. It was just a dust shield made for a specific starter issue, this mini starter snout is small, way smaller footprint all around than the big OEM boat anchor starters of the sixties.

They used a 3 speed auto (904, 998, etc) in 3.9 powered Dodge vans til at least Y2K if not all the way to the end of the B vans

-
Back