A999 vs A727 mounting points

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
!967 Barracuda 340 LA currently mated to column shifted 727 trans, 3000 stall, 3:55 8 3/4
Contemplating swapping in a lockup A999 for lower highway rpm.
Are the mounting points even close, what am I going to run into? Shift linkage?

Mounting points (engine/trans. crossmember) are identical. Output splines & overall length differ, so you'll need a different slip yoke and driveshaft length. Speedo cable/drive will bolt up, linkage may need tweeking, but should work. Shift selector arm on trans may need to be changed depending on the effective arm length (shaft opening to linkage hole distance) to get your column indicator to register correctly. Torque convertor, naturally, is different.

piece of cake as far as swaps go.
But be forwarned, the LU feature is only good for a couple of hundred at the best. Well with a 3000stall, maybe a lil more.
In LU the rpm is predicted to be 70=2980 with 28s.
What are you turning now?

piece of cake as far as swaps go.
But be forwarned, the LU feature is only good for a couple of hundred at the best. Well with a 3000stall, maybe a lil more.
In LU the rpm is predicted to be 70=2980 with 28s.
What are you turning now?
@ 60 MPH the engine rpm is around 2950 rpm.
Tire is BFG TA 275/60-15

@ 60 MPH the engine rpm is around 2950 rpm.
Tire is BFG TA 275/60-15

I calculate those tires to be 28" tall, and so your rpm should be
60 = 2560@ zero-slip, If your 2950tach reading is accurate, then your TC is slipping at 15.2%; there may or may not be, something wrong with it: Ima guessing it may be operating correctly for a 3000TC.
in any case, the LU with same 28" tall tires should be
60=2560, and your 3000TC will not work with a LU trans anyway........ So the swap would kill two birds with one stone.
However, note the rpm difference, in your case, is 390rpm
Is it worth it?
I think so, but only you can decide. It sorta depends on if you can get a similar stall LU TC, so you don't lose the off-the-line punch. Well actually, with the plus 11.8% gearing,(2.74/2.45) you could give up that much engine torque with a lower stall, if you were so inclined.

Last edited:
I calculate those tires to be 28" tall, and so your rpm should be
60 = 2560@ zero-slip, If your 2950tach reading is accurate, then your TC is slipping at 15.2%; there may or may not be, something wrong with it: Ima guessing it may be operating correctly for a 3000TC.
in any case, the LU with same 28" tall tires should be
60=2560, and your 3000TC will not work with a LU trans anyway........ So the swap would kill two birds with one stone.
However, note the rpm difference, in your case, is 390rpm
Is it worth it?
I think so, but only you can decide. It sorta depends on if you can get a similar stall LU TC, so you don't lose the off-the-line punch. Well actually, with the plus 11.8% gearing,(2.74/2.45) you could give up that much engine torque with a lower stall, if you were so inclined.
Great info
Well the old 727 is not going to last forever so I thought as long as I am spending the $ I would upgrade to a trans that would work better for the highway and perhaps pick up some MPG's.
The TC will be the key for making this work I understand there are companies out there that produce a TC for the A999 with a performance stall speed.
Do know which donor vehicles used the A999?

What I really want is a TRX

Great info
Well the old 727 is not going to last forever so I thought as long as I am spending the $ I would upgrade to a trans that would work better for the highway and perhaps pick up some MPG's.
The TC will be the key for making this work I understand there are companies out there that produce a TC for the A999 with a performance stall speed.
Do know which donor vehicles used the A999?

What I really want is a TRX
According to Wiki...
  • 1984-1989 Chrysler M platform vehicles with AHB 318 4bbl police option (Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury)
  • 1994-2003 Dodge Ram Van B150 with Magnum 3.9L V6 engine
  • 1994-2003 Dodge Dakota with Magnum 3.9L V6 engine
  • 1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ with 6-cylinder engine.
  • 1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ with 6-cylinder engine.
  • Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer with the 258ci (4.2L) straight-6

I thought I saw an extensive thread some time back on this exact subject of f I remember correctly the was high frig factors

-
Back