AC compressor cycling problems

-

snailpower

Reaction score
I am having an AC related problem I am hoping someone can help with.

Stock unit basically exploded (back came off) within the dash with pieces going everywhere so I purchased a NOS unit off of ebay. After an intense contortion session of removal through glove box, the old unit was out and new one in with a new fuse on fuse panel.

With new control unit in the AC compressor seems to cycle randomly even with unit switched to off and temp slid over to heat. It notably does this immediately on start up for 3-4 seconds (causing idle to dip). It will also cycle randomly while driving. The compressor is a sanden unit.

Other than the compressor cycling the AC is ice cold.

Knowing that these units are rebuildable I pulled it apart to find one of the clips on the back of the AC button a bit loose, but snapped back into place all else seeming ok just looking old. I put it back together with some screws that may not have been correct but seem to hold it together. I am not sure how the vacuum actuation works in this setup or what it does if anyone wants to clear it up for me. But... even after pulling apart it still has the cycling problem.

Does anyone have any ideas why this unit would not shut the ac off or is it possible the problem lies elsewhere not within the control box? I was careful to plug in correctly according to the attached diagram.

Any help much appreciated.

Necessary car stats:
72 Scamp
318 4bbl factory AC
newer sanden compressor

[ame="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/willkeegan/media/unnamed_zpsuue4q0vl.png.html"]unnamed_zpsuue4q0vl.png Photo by willkeegan | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/willkeegan/unnamed_zpsuue4q0vl.p@@AMEPARAM@@70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/willkeegan/unnamed_zpsuue4q0vl.p[/ame]

Man I don't know. Sounds like problems right there in the switch

Man I don't know. Sounds like problems right there in the switch

Thats what I am thinking but wanted some more opinions before I source another one. Wondering if there is something I am overlooking. Thanks for input!

When I converted my 68 to a Denso compressor I immediately noticed the switches were getting hot so I shut it down and rewired the clutch coil to run off of a relay. This solved the problem. May or may not be related to your problem.....

That's a pretty complicated switch inside, really a piece of engineering, IMO. I'm sure you saw the guts. If it was working OK before I would suspect a bad switch. Sorry to say.

-
Back