AC Options (71 Duster)

-

AzDUSTER

Reaction score
Hi - Looking for advice on new AC options for a 71 Duster I am restoring. It will have a new 318 engine in it when finished.

This car did not have air installed originally. What have you guys used ?

Thanks

Probably the easiest option is a modern "knee knocker" which have become pretty slim line. Add a drier, a Sanden compressor, a modern crossflow condenserand the appropriate hoses/lines. I'm doing it the harder route: change the firewall from a non-AC firewall to a factory AC firewall and use all the factory underdash hardware and all the underhood pieces with the exception of the compressor, where I'll use a Sanden.

I fell into an aftermarket under dash AC/ heater for mine, although the car is not back together.

I tried to post this but the new site software sucks so bad I can't even do that Find post 7 I think. this is a Classic air unit you can buy ONLY the under dash unit if you want. It is VERY compact and does heat/ defrost and AC. Downside is there is no real provision for outside air. You'd have to do something with your right side cowl vent

AC in 67 barracuda

My 65 Dart small-block had after-market AC w/ knee-knocker. I won't put the massive Tecumseh cast-iron compressor back since about as heavy as Mopar's RV2. Since a York (aluminum) mounts the same I could do that. One was on my 1965 Newport and has worked fine the 30 yrs I've had it. But, I don't like the clunky bracket design (presses against the bypass hose) and it had cracked from the big compressor (weld fix). For my 64 slant, I bought a vintage knee-knocker off ebay, but you can buy new ones for ~$100. I welded up my own Sanden brackets, starting w/ universal slotted pieces. I might do the same on my small-block.

If you don't know, even by 1971 maybe only half the cars were sold w/ AC, and it was much rarer in the mid-1960's. Many places like Western Auto and Sears offered after-market AC as it became more affordable. They usually had an add-on crank pulley (often aluminum), giving a new groove on the outside. York compressors were common (factory on Fords). You might find some of that in junkyards or ebay, otherwise Vintage Air and such sell brackets for ~$200 or complete systems for ~$800. Just insure it works w/ your other accessories and well-though out like you can remove the valve cover with the compressor on.

Classic Air makes a really nice kit that's not too difficult to install. It's ICE cold too!!

Here's my Demon install thread. Your Duster should be nearly the same...

Demon "Classic Air" AC Install

Probably the easiest option is a modern "knee knocker" which have become pretty slim line. Add a drier, a Sanden compressor, a modern crossflow condenserand the appropriate hoses/lines. I'm doing it the harder route: change the firewall from a non-AC firewall to a factory AC firewall and use all the factory underdash hardware and all the underhood pieces with the exception of the compressor, where I'll use a Sanden.

Thanks !

I fell into an aftermarket under dash AC/ heater for mine, although the car is not back together.

I tried to post this but the new site software sucks so bad I can't even do that Find post 7 I think. this is a Classic air unit you can buy ONLY the under dash unit if you want. It is VERY compact and does heat/ defrost and AC. Downside is there is no real provision for outside air. You'd have to do something with your right side cowl vent

AC in 67 barracuda
The Classic kit looks nice ... I think I will try that.

I have a 1970 duster without ac. I have got a stock ac system that I planed to install.
will the non ac fire wall accept the stock ac system ?

I have a 1970 duster without ac. I have got a stock ac system that I planed to install.
will the non ac fire wall accept the stock ac system ?

I'm not up on post-66 A Bodies, but from what I've read, AC and non-AC firewalls for the 67-up are pretty different. There are ways around that - knee knocker or a new heat/defrost/AC unit from some place like Classic Auto Air for example.

Last edited:
You can also get Chineseoation knee knocker evaps off ebay fairly cheap. Couple that with whatever you can thrash up in the junkyard for a pump mount and condenser, get some hoses made and you are well on your way.

That is what I intended before finding the one on CL

I understand firewalls vary, all years. Search Google Images. I recall that Classic replaces your cabin blower w/ a feed-thru plate in that hole for the hoses and wires. They have an under-dash climate box w/ integral blower that is much less obtrusive than a knee-knocker, so a well-designed system. The total price may shock you (>$1000), but if your time is money it is probably worth it, and without AC you probably will find reasons to not drive your car in AZ summers. If retired and you enjoy designing solutions (like hot-rodders do) then you can rig a system much cheaper.

I plan on installing a modern knee knocker system in my 70 Dart soon and was wondering where would be the best location for firewall penetration.

-
Back