ACC carpet for my 67 cuda WTF

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I bought a carpet from ACC for my 67 cuda. It will be a 4 speed bucket seat car no console.

I get the carpet today. Its an A body 108" wheelbase 4 speed carpet allright, however i test fit it, and it fits like absolute dog ****. I have bought ACC carpets in the past. I had 2 different dodge chargers. Carpets in these cars fit great. One was a 4 speed car, and the carpet had the correct bump out in it. The bound edge layed nice and straight. The carpets just about fell into place out of the box.

This thing the back half of it fits ok, jute backing is crooked, but its hidden so ok, i can live with that, but the front, holy crap is the fitment bad. It doesnt fit well at all around the back of the 4 speed hump. Its like it tries to bridge there to the trans tunnel and to the floor. The bound edge when you try to fit it against the hump goes crooked, as if they bound the edge before press moulding it. To get it to sit close to the floor hump, and sit down on the side i have to bunch it up where the seat track sits on the drivers side close to the transmission tunnel. I am not even sure the heelpad is in the correct location either.

Total effing abortion if you ask me. Now i gotta pay to ship it back, get my money back, and start over with this purchase again. Anybody have issues with ACC lately on A body 4 speed carpets? Is there anybody out there that makes a better carpet,

Thanks
Matt

trim parts carpets seems a notch above. my last one was an acc and it was as you described. I sold it to a friend for 75.

yup same here........I bought one with the 4 speed hump for my 68 dart. It came and said ACC on the box and it fit absolutely horrible. I finally made it fit by trimming and wrestling with it and in the end the rubber foot pad under the pedals is a bit crooked and it kinda bothers me.

I should have sent it back but I figured it just needed trimming .....yea a lot of trimming and then some.

I put ACC dark green carpet in my 69 Barracuda 4 speed about 1.5 years ago, and it fit great. I'm sorry you had a problem. May I suggest explaining to them that you belong to and are a frequent poster to FABO, and you are in a position to tell SEVERAL thousand people that ACC either stepped up to the plate and took care of you, or hosed you over and forced you to pay return shipping to fix their mistake. They may pass on forcing you to pay for return shipping. It couldn't hurt!!

I put ACC dark green carpet in my 69 Barracuda 4 speed about 1.5 years ago, and it fit great. I'm sorry you had a problem. May I suggest explaining to them that you belong to and are a frequent poster to FABO, and you are in a position to tell SEVERAL thousand people that ACC either stepped up to the plate and took care of you, or hosed you over and forced you to pay return shipping to fix their mistake. They may pass on forcing you to pay for return shipping. It couldn't hurt!!

I will have to give that a try tomorrow. Heres the thing i bought this from a vendor that sells ACC products. Should I call ACC directly?? I am assuming this because a vender couldent care, they are not the manufacturer.

I agree with giving the vendor a chance. If he does take care of you, he will probably pass the cost on to ACC.

I have had good and bad from both ACC and trim parts.
I do feel the trim parts carpets do have less problems though.
The thing is these sets are pressed into shape by employee's
and some are very good at it and their workmanship will lay
right into place. Others are not as skilled and you have what you
describe.
Since I do a lot of carpet installs professionally I have a steamer that
I use to take out any errors I receive from the manufacturing.
Customers do not like bad fitting carpet when they are paying to have it installed
even if I didn't make the carpet set.
Depending on the carpets backing type rubber or plastic determines how much steam it
will require to train the carpet set to the floorpan.
I use a jiffy steamer that is generally meant to be used on drapes. Gets the carpet very hot.
I work about a foot square at a time and wear heavy gloves to prevent getting burned.
I also use the rounded over end of a 2x4 to push the heated area into the floorpan and
hold till cool enough to take a set.
Glad to see you making progress Matt, hope this helps you some.

The vendor said box it up and set it out for fedex. A manager will open up another one of these carpet sets, and inspect it before shipping. I told them the carpet set should look very pronounced that its been pressed to a floorpan mould. I told them to look specifically in the 4 speed area of the tunnel on the front carpet. The bump should be very pronounced.

I will send them a floor pan pic tonight so they can see better what i am talking about.

I also told em if it was a console or bench seat car i wouldent care because it would all be hidden. But since its buckets with no console most of it is seen.

Matt

If you e-mail him a link to this thread it will open his eyes and his wallet when it comes to you paying shipping (or you paying anything!!!).
POWER OF THE PEN (or in this case, "keyboard").

PS - Just mention the number of members this site has.......
treblig

I know this doesn't help you much but I bought an ACC carpet some four years ago and it fit good but there where places where I used a blow drier to heat it up to get it to fit perfect. It's a shame but so many things that we buy for are cars has to be massaged one way or another to get them to fit just right. And then there some things that do not work at all no matter what you do.

Jeff

If you e-mail him a link to this thread it will open his eyes and his wallet when it comes to you paying shipping (or you paying anything!!!).
POWER OF THE PEN (or in this case, "keyboard").

PS - Just mention the number of members this site has.......
treblig

Its all good, they payed the shipping to return the carpet. There wasnt even a question. After my inital email to them, the response was within the hour , which was ,set it out for fedex tomorrow, and a manager will open up another carpet and look it over make sure its not like this one.

Well i got the replacement carpet in the mail today. When i pull it out of the box and lay it out, i will let everybody know how it goes.

Keeping my fingers crossed on this one being good to go.

Well it fits better, sorta. I will let it relax a bit in the floorpan for a few days. See where it goes from there. I may try the heat n shape method like SSBA mentioned. If all else fails i will prob just sell it, and then figure out what i'm gonna do.:banghead:

Matt

Yes WTF I have an ACC Carpet kit for a 4 speed 68 Barracuda.And it does not fit around the 4 speed hump and is 2-3 inches short where it should go up th the wheel tub.I will never buy ACC carpet again!ACC has been selling carpet for how many years now you think they would have it fitting right by now!

Yes WTF I have an ACC Carpet kit for a 4 speed 68 Barracuda.And it does not fit around the 4 speed hump and is 2-3 inches short where it should go up th the wheel tub.I will never buy ACC carpet again!ACC has been selling carpet for how many years now you think they would have it fitting right by now!

most carpets I have put in required a lot of massaging, high dollar or not!

Surprised!

The ACC mass backed carpet I got from PRO-FIT worked out great in my console Auto 69 FB.

I got the complete kit including rear wheel housings and the fit was great. Had to trim a bunch on the sides of the floor pieces and tad on the firewall side only. The console and other pieces were dead on. Did you get the mass backed stuff?

I installed one in my Scamp a couple years ago. Console - auto. It was a great fit and required very little trimming. Just the other day I installed one in a 1980 Firebird Formula. Again console - auto. Fit.......not bad, Ok I guess. It isn't quite formed as well as the Scamp's was. It's slightly loose, I imagine it will sink in. However no trimming was required at all. Overall, I was kinda disappointed after seeing how nice the Scamp was. But it's starting to seem more common to hear complaints about their product.

Glad I ran across this thread. I have to order carpet by Tuesday, for my 4 speed Demon. I was thinking Year One, or Legendary, but someone please advise.....I don't care where it comes from, but I want a good fit. Any info would help. Anyone try the Ebay stuff?

Thanks guys!

Oh, who is Trim Parts?

Legendary gets their carpets from trim parts.
Its not a matter of where you get your carpet. Both companies ACC and Trim Parts use good quality materials that can be made into good fitting carpet sets. It's the skill of the employee who builds the set you get that determines how well it will fit your car. They are steamed then worked into shape by hand to a floorpan.
Just like in any manufacturing plant some employees don't do as good of work as others.
It is a crap shoot at best. I have been installing carpet sets since the late 70s when ACC
was the only decent option. The workers skills and the QC has diminished since then and
I have had the best luck with Trim Parts these days.
Not that they are that much better but some.
Trim Parts 513-934-0815 Lebanon, Ohio. Been in business over 40 years.

-
Back