Accurate LTD stainless exhaust tip review

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
Well, in my continuing effort to get my car done, I have started focusing on the exhaust. I decided to order the stainless tips from Accurate, LTD in the 2.5" size since I plan using headers, x-pipe, and decent flowing mufflers (haven't made my final decision on those yet). ANYWAYS, I thought I would share what I have found out about these tips. My idea was to improve the performance but keep the stock exhaust look.

After receiving the tips, I found many more differences from the originals other than inlet size. The shape is obviously different. The stainless is nice and thick and the hangers are butt welded to the top (instead of going through a cut hole like the factory tip used). My biggest disappointment however is that the hangers are welded back about an inch too far making the tip stick out further than it should when they are placed into the factory mounts on the frame.

tip_comparision.jpg

I will most likely have to move my rubber mount back on the frame and drill a new hole and use a self tapping screw to make them sit correctly, but really, I shouldn't have to do this.

I called and spoke with Tom(?) about the difference in the '68 Barracuda tips (specifically the hanger location). He agreed that I shouldn't have to move the hanger, but at the same time said that they had sold many of these tips and I was the first over many years of production to bring up the issue and they won't be making any changes to them. I even requested a set with the hangers welded where I wanted them, but he wouldn't agree to that.

I thought I would share this in case others thought about using these to get a "factory" look. I was considering ordering their 2.5" over the axle tail pipes (again, suppose to be bent to factory specs) but now I'm worried they will be straight out the back and won't have the correct up angle to them that make the tips angle with the lower quarters as the factory had them (again see my photos of my car before with the factory tips).
Robs68rear.JPG

I've requested information about the pipes with them and maybe a picture of them installed on another car. At this time I haven't received any.

Anyone have any experience with the 68-69 Accurate LTD exhaust parts here?

I did want to say that I'm satified enough and will be able to make them work... I just want to see any other installations (got pics?) to see how you solved the differences.

Any other Barracuda owners use the Accurate LTD exhaust?

I have those same tips on my car, that exact size. I have them mated to the TTI 2 1/2 inch exhaust and didn't have a stock tip to compare them to, so the difference was not obvious to me. I just cut the tail pipes off where they needed to be to work.

I thought I might revive this thread and see if anyone else has used these larger tips on their cars and has any photographs of installation. I have found an exhaust shop in Raleigh, NC http://www.rjscustompiping.com/ that has a mandrel bender and is willing to make the pipes exit like I want (more like the factory setup with the upward angle that follows the body lines). I had that with my old exhaust (see pictures below) but will now be copying it in the 2 1/2 inch pipe, and these tips that I am using. Please post pictures of your current set-up if you have done something similar. THANKS!!!
FormulaSexhaust.jpg

CragarFender.JPG

Robs68rear.JPG

tip_comparision.jpg

i have their tips on my dart. bought their stainless hangers too and all fit well. they have held up quite well too..

DSC06152.JPG

exhaust%20010.jpg

have since put 2 1/2 tail pipes on the car so they are actually too big. been wanting to get 2 1/2" tips but haven't yet..

picture009.jpg
[/IMG]

is there a possiblilty that on your '68 cuda the tips previously on the car were not the originals?

look at this one
68barracuda039.jpg

they seem to stick out farther than yours

In my opinion, the farther they stick out from under the body the better. Rising exhaust gasses will eat up trim like aluminum and chromed pot metal.

is there a possiblilty that on your '68 cuda the tips previously on the car were not the originals?

look at this one
68barracuda039.jpg

they seem to stick out farther than yours

As for original, no- my car was a single exhaust 318 car. As for accurate, yes, after months of research using original photos, those tips were installed correctly. As for other cars, 80 percent of those that put replacement tips on their Formula S cars do it wrong. Most errors are in the rear pipes- installiing the tips straight out the back or using dart tips instead of the barracuda tips. Many times this was due to availablity of accurate parts, lack of knowledge, or just preference. Either way, I'm looking at capturing the look of the original styling but increasing the performance. I'm looking for photos of those that have used the larger diameter tips on a Barracuda.
By the way, the yellow car does not have the right valance for duals, the blue car has the correct tips but wrong angle to the pipes which make them look like they stick out farther. Mine (at the correct angle) actually stuck past the valance about 1.5 inches.

The originals had just a slight up angle not as extreme as what I see in your picture.

I run TTI tail pipes and some custom tips from Stainless Exhaust Extensions. I had them make them with no hanger on the tip cause the TTI pipes already had the hanger and I had to get them made shorter because of the way TTI bent their tail pipes and I did not want them sticking out past stock. Mine don't angle up like originals but doesn't bother me. As far as using tail pipe hanger and having hanger removed from tip, I haven't seen anyone notice at the shows and its not a concourse car so...

The valance is original, not modified.

Attachments

• ExhaustTip1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 808
  • ExhaustTip2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 776
I think the up angle of your stock tips is too much. The originals had just a slight up angle not as extreme as what I see in your picture. I have never see originals that angle up that sharply. Does not look right.

I run TTI tail pipes and some custom tips from Stainless Exhaust Extensions. I had them make them with no hanger on the tip cause the TTI pipes already had the hanger and I had to get them made shorter because of the way TTI bent their tail pipes and I did not want them sticking out past stock. Mine don't angle up like originals but doesn't bother me.

The valance is original, not modified.

They look really good on yours... this is exactly what I'm looking for- examples....

As for the correct angle, here are two original images. One is from car craft from 1967 (the 68's just came out) and one from the 1969 review (harder to see). The other is a production photo.. I have others too. The angle looks different from.. ha... different angles. Basically, the way the rear quarter goes up at an angle, well, the pipe and tip follows that angle.
68tips.jpg

69tips.jpg

1969tips.jpg

I hear you Rob, I just got out an original road test of a 440 Barracuda to see the tips angle. Maybe its just my eyes but looks like angle is more so on the pics of your car. Either way your car looks great. I had a set of NOS tail pipes years ago, I remember the tips angling up like your original car pics show. The '69 Darts were like that too.

The TTI tail pipes are nice, they put the tips right at the valance openings, but they don't angle the tips up like they should. And they have those hangers welded to the tail pipes which could be easily cut off. But on the drivers side tail pipe there is a slight bend which made the stock length tip not be able to slide on all the way. The driver's side tail pipe kind of bends out toward the outside of car to get around gas tank then it comes back in and has a bend right before the tip. The pass side tail pipe comes straight back so if the hanger were cut off pipe a stock length tip could slide all the way on. The TTI tails pipes do clear the gas tank and frame nicely. Close, but they never hit.

Here are some more pictures of the TTI tail pipes:

Attachments

• shrunkfinishedrearxg6.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 803
  • shrunkfinishedunder1ex9.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 739
A little off topic but one thing I did was put a flange on the tail pipe so if I wanted to I could drop the whole system off the car in minutes. Just have to watch the axle brake hose on the driver's side mine is only 1/2" away I should have moved the flange down. Its real easy to do, put flanges on pipe, bolt them together with washers in between flanges, hold in place with magnets, weld, take out bolts/washers, cut pipe between flanges with saws all, clean up with angle grinder, done.

Attachments

• UltraFlo1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 837
  • UltraFlo3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 834
Yeah, they all look pretty good. Mine do look like that have a more extreme angle at different shots, but the original photos are all a little different too. I'm sure that production had them all a little different anyways, just by the way that they were assembled on the line. Mine- well, I'm starting fresh- I don't have any exhaust on it at the moment.

I considered the TTI exhaust, but at the same price, I can have a complete mandrel bent system done by hand with X-pipe and I get to provide my input (yay for him!)...lol.... Only problem is that I will have the trailer the car 2.5 hours away. I think if I get him to tuck them up with a slight angle (as the original), then the differences in tip styles won't be as noticable. The incredible sound will become the focus after that!!! :)

By the way, I would love to see any other 68-69 exhaust!

A little off topic but one thing I did was put a flange on the tail pipe so if I wanted to I could drop the whole system off the car in minutes. Just have to watch the axle brake hose on the driver's side mine is only 1/2" away I should have moved the flange down. Its real easy to do, put flanges on pipe, bolt them together with washers in between flanges, hold in place with magnets, weld, take out bolts/washers, cut pipe between flanges with saws all, clean up with angle grinder, done.

Great idea! I will most likely have that done. He had plenty of flanges on hand.

One option is to get the TTI front pipes and just have your guy do the tail pipes the way you like. I am sure TTI would sell you the front pipes. That way it won't be a long wait at the exhaust shop if you only have to get the tail pipes done. Plus those TTI pipes are top notch.

yeah i think the angle looks better anyways... the problem seems to be that the pipe before the tip has to be at the right angle / height before the tip goes on since the tips are just straight anyways. so it's all about the pipe bender's skills

back when i had my '68 dart i took it to a place, i had open headers and two big old cadillac mufflers in boxes lol. and there was a guy he was amazing. he cut/bent /welded all the pipes just they way they needed to go... no leaks, all hung up nice and it took him about 40 minutes. and charged me $130 bucks haha i was amazed

last week i was back in that area, i hadnt been up there for 20 years... that shop is still there

These are Accurate tailpipes with stock tips, I think your exhaust looks right with the amount of angle your tips are at. The factory tip actually had angle built into it it to make the tips shoot up more so then on any other Mopar tip.

Attachments

• 100_0319 (600 x 400).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 778
  • 100_0317 (600 x 400).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 757
yeah i think the angle looks better anyways... the problem seems to be that the pipe before the tip has to be at the right angle / height before the tip goes on since the tips are just straight anyways. so it's all about the pipe bender's skills

back when i had my '68 dart i took it to a place, i had open headers and two big old cadillac mufflers in boxes lol. and there was a guy he was amazing. he cut/bent /welded all the pipes just they way they needed to go... no leaks, all hung up nice and it took him about 40 minutes. and charged me $130 bucks haha i was amazed

last week i was back in that area, i hadnt been up there for 20 years... that shop is still there
68-69 Barracuda exhaust tips arn't straight. They actually have abent in them to make them shoot up at that angle more than just the tailpipe.

These are Accurate tailpipes with stock tips, I think your exhaust looks right with the amount of angle your tips are at. The factory tip actually had angle built into it it to make the tips shoot up more so then on any other Mopar tip.

Beautiful!!! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to take a series of photos with me when I have them done so we can get them right. I was really curious about the AccurateLTD pipes. They seem to have some of the angle to them. I just wish he had a mandrel bender (I guess they wouldn't be accurate then huh?).

-
Back