ACE hardware prices are ridiculously high .

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
I'm in a small town and I really try to support local businesses. We don't have enough the way it is but. my local ACE , the owner should wear a hold up mask.

If I drive 30 miles south to a mid-sized town, WAL MART - the item costs $18.95 , if I go to ACE to my north its $22.95 .. in town , $27.95 .. same exact item

THIS IS NOT NEWS!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

On a side note, I went into the local one years ago right after it had been sold, and there's the new owner, who, it turns out owns both area stores now. I was looking for 3/8" rod ends for some linkage. First, now one could understand what I wanted. I don't remember, I likely said something like "every lawn mower and snow blower" and he goes "YOU WON'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE IN TOWN!!"

I got a little bit miffed and told him, "you want to bet 20?"

Turns out NAPA had them--and extraordinarily HIGHER (likely) prices but I bought one anyway, took it back and waved it in his face. Of COURSE he would not pay the bet, but I told him this:

"Don't you EVER tell a customer "you won't find one" because WE DON'T LIKE IT

The sad sad news here, is, the half *** fastener's store we had in town, moved out clear north of the airport, and the so called highway between here/ there is a damn PARKING LOT. It's a 16 mile round trip and I have never been out there!!!!

So I'm stuck with mail order, a big trip to Spokane, or the high prices at Ace or North forty outfitters, or HD or Lowes and the AWEFUL selection offered by any of them

Last edited:
Ace Hardware is fine for some things. I regard them like I would a convenience store. Everything will be more expensive than at a bigger store.
Their house brand stuff S U C K S.
The masking tape, the spray paint, just about every ACE brand stuff is terrible.

Our Ace Hardware in Gray is the same. I like the store and do buy from them sometimes. It's the biggest Ace in like 8 southeast states, so it's a really nice one. But as mentioned they are HIGH and they will not deal at all. We have a brand new Tractor Supply that opened late last year and I believe that's going to make a difference.

Our Ace Hardware in Gray is the same. I like the store and do buy from them sometimes. It's the biggest Ace in like 8 southeast states, so it's a really nice one. But as mentioned they are HIGH and they will not deal at all. We have a brand new Tractor Supply that opened late last year and I believe that's going to make a difference.
Don'know. Rusty. We have both a North 40 and Tractor (small) Tractor supply here. When I was putting the front loader back together, and looking for a cylinder/ hoses, parts, some things were about the same, but the cylinder in stock at TS was DOUBLE THE PRICE of the one at North 40

North 40 itself is like any other "big box" store. They don't or can't reorder some things without ordering a big drop ship, so you find stupid situations like, a whole bunch of red clearance lamps in stock and OUT OF any matching amber ones. Or the hydraulic hoses I wanted, there were "big holes" on the shelf that were obviously there for a long time. And so on

I bought an impact and a drill most 20 volt cordless in a kit DeWalt and got a free four and a half inch cordless angle grinder with it! It also came with two batteries and a charger! Here's the deal, I already had a drill and impact, I bought the newer kit, just to get the grinder (man, I grab that Thang all the time) and have an extra drill, impact, two extra batteries, and chargers. Was a good deal..

Ace is the place........
For the Helping Hardware Man! In all honesty there's a lot of stuff there I won't buy because it's too damn expensive most the time I don't buy the same items at Lowe's or Home Depot because I get them from Supply Warehouses, Plumbing supplies Electrical supplies, metal, sheet rock, Fasteners, I can go on! But they have saved my ***, more than once! Odd brass plumbing fittings? Weird fasteners for cars? Hex head bolts When I was redoing the bike, I went up there and got a bunch of different stainless, and chrome bolts, which I could buy one at a time (in the length I needed) instead of having to buy some stupid expensive kit that I didn't need... if you're on a job, and you blow a plumbing fitting, or have an electrical repair, and they're right around the corner? Ace is the Place brother

The old Ace hardware store here was awesome, best fastener selection. They also carried anything from lawnmowers, to guns, plumbing stuff.
The old couple who owned it retired, and auctioned off everything in the store, and sold the building.

The old Ace hardware store here was awesome, best fastener selection. They also carried anything from lawnmowers, to guns, plumbing stuff.
The old couple who owned it retired, and auctioned off everything in the store, and sold the building.
That sucks man, I've been in today's hardware stores that just seem like they were right old school straight out of the past but they always had what I needed they were always in the middle of nowhere! Now, I've been in a few modern ones that were built brand new and stocked with new stuff and the people there are kind of funny and just I don't even see how they stay open the prices are sadistic on everything

The Ace Hardware closest to me has the best price on refilling propane tanks. They beat Tractor Supply and they beat the propane dealer down the street by a couple bucks a tank. I'm talking 20 lb tanks.

That sucks man, I've been in today's hardware stores that just seem like they were right old school straight out of the past but they always had what I needed they were always in the middle of nowhere! Now, I've been in a few modern ones that were built brand new and stocked with new stuff and the people there are kind of funny and just I don't even see how they stay open the prices are sadistic on everything
We do have a True-Value hardware store, that is old school, kinda have a little of everything.
Family owned, but the store is much smaller that the old Ace.
If you need a bastard pluming fitting to adapt PVC to cast iron, they either have it, or can get it for you.
The best thing is they know what you are talking about.

We do have a True-Value hardware store, that is old school, kinda have a little of everything.
Family owned, but the store is much smaller that the old Ace.
If you need a bastard pluming fitting to adapt PVC to cast iron, they either have it, or can get it for you.
The best thing is they know what you are talking about.
Oh heck brother we got one true value out here but it's called Inner City Lumber they just carry the True Value brand inside! Bro I was getting 5 and 1/4 crown molding for 85 cents a linear foot before covid I could go on and on and on about the price of pressure treated lumber different Bill work I mean I love the place and they've got some cool Hardware that you don't normally see anywhere else it's a nice selection the prices are great it's just way out there by the damn Port of Tampa.. but I've been there many times I'm sure I'll go back again! And yeah they're old school family owned

There's a grocery store a couple miles from my house like that. Everything in the store is stupid expensive. $100 wont get you enough to cover the bottom of a cart. I boycott them and do my shopping at Aldies and BJ's.
There is a family owned hardware store a few miles from my house. I have been going there for 30 years. Their prices are right in line with the big stores like Lowes and their lumber is way better quality.

There's a grocery store a couple miles from my house like that. Everything in the store is stupid expensive. $100 wont get you enough to cover the bottom of a cart. I boycott them and do my shopping at Aldies and BJ's.
There is a family owned hardware store a few miles from my house. I have been going there for 30 years. Their prices are right in line with the big stores like Lowes and their lumber is way better quality.
Heck yeah brother I tell you I don't mind Publix the prices are high but the stores are always clean and the people always friendly, Winn-Dixie ( Bi Lo Holdings) iirc, bought out Sweet Bay, and announced their main goal, was to compete with Publix solidly! They were cool back in the '80s in the '70s man but these people really slipped and fell in it this time! Aldi's ? We go there a lot! The prices ain't as stupid as anyone else are actually cheaper than freaking Walmart and you're supporting American farmers when you do it even though it's a German owned store! Back even if they're German farmers and they live here they're still an American Farm in business I'm seeing these things get killed ... my state Florida, for example, we used to supply 90% to 85% of fruits and vegetables in the entire United States of America!!!!!!! I'm proud of my Southern Heritage! Now,? After hedge funds, and private investors came here and bought everything up? That are basically trying to re-list stuff with no improvements to it just triple or quadruple the price? this has been going on for a long time now. .... that's part of the Farmland has been brought out by developers that are putting up **** box homes built by Foreign immigrant cheap labor they've turned this Great State into the next California, or NY

I'm in a small town and I really try to support local businesses. We don't have enough the way it is but. my local ACE , the owner should wear a hold up mask.

If I drive 30 miles south to a mid-sized town, WAL MART - the item costs $18.95 , if I go to ACE to my north its $22.95 .. in town , $27.95 .. same exact item
You are complaining now, just wait till the local store closes and you are forced to drive 30 miles to Wal Mart for a nut or bolt.

Don'know. Rusty. We have both a North 40 and Tractor (small) Tractor supply here. When I was putting the front loader back together, and looking for a cylinder/ hoses, parts, some things were about the same, but the cylinder in stock at TS was DOUBLE THE PRICE of the one at North 40

North 40 itself is like any other "big box" store. They don't or can't reorder some things without ordering a big drop ship, so you find stupid situations like, a whole bunch of red clearance lamps in stock and OUT OF any matching amber ones. Or the hydraulic hoses I wanted, there were "big holes" on the shelf that were obviously there for a long time. And so on
Not sure exactly where you are but Tri-Con in Wesrmond is my go to for hard to find and specialty hardware.

You are complaining now, just wait till the local store closes and you are forced to drive 30 miles to Wal Mart for a nut or bolt.
The problem is Walmart don't have any nuts, or bolts worth a ****, they don't have any selection, your damn sure not going to get anything grade 8, anything specialty, or any kind of selection close to Ace Hardware!

Too bad the town can't boycott but either way you're paying more

Ace does have good quality grade 8 1/2" fine thread bolts suitable for front end/suspension work.

Those are not easy to find elsewhere.

They also have some brass and steel pipe fittings the other places don't stock.

-
Back