Action Plus, 360, or...?

Which intake for my build (street / performance) 360

• Total voters
-

bighammer

Reaction score
I'm ready to bolt on my intake pretty soon. Looking for opinions here on which one to use. I've got two of them; a Weiand Action Plus, and an Offenhauser 360*

My car (1970 Dart) will be used on the street. The engine is a 1990 roller cam 360. I have HP manifolds with 2 1/2" dual exhaust. Also have a Demon carb to put on her

I don't even know if these are "dual plane" intakes or single plane. And I don't know if I should have held out for something different (LD 340?)

Can I get your feedback please? I'm thinking I'd be best off looking for more torque, something with peak power below 4,500-5000 RPM

THANKS

Weiand Action Plus is a dual plane......probably never tell the difference between it and a LD340

Guess I should add, the cam is a stock grind, from the '90 truck. The engine is a re-man with less than 25k miles on it.

What is an Offenhauser RPM? I have never heard of that.

At any rate, the Action Plus is a really good intake.

I'd prefer the Action Plus with that mild cam. The Offy 360* is too much like a "Torker II" for my liking on a mild engine.

Make sure you gasket match the intake. The one I have has much smaller ports that a 360/340.

Remember... I'm looking for the best intake for street use. The car will not see the track, nor will the engine see those high RPMs very often..

Thanks Chuck. When gasket matching, is the material to be removed only where it mates up to the head? Cuz it wouldn't take much with a die grinder to do it. I've never done it, but I have a die grinder. Just grind off the excess material and blend it smoothly into the rest of the runner?

The actual port opening. I think it's actually a 318 intake judging by the port opening

Attachments

• Picture 1229.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 896
  • Picture 1228.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 885
  • Picture 1226.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 871
Action plus, my vote. LD340 has that devider port that bleeds off some low end in favor of higher RPM's. 360 is a single plane style. Remember the Stealth? that was thee intake before the Performer RPM....

Thanks for catching that Rob. I fixed it. (Offenhauser 360*)

ok, then yes, the Weiand is by FAR the superior intake. That 360* intake is basically a single plane. The Weiand will have much better bottom end response, IMO.

If your engine is relatively mild, it could be argued that gasket matching the intake ports could reduce port velocity. If the intake ports are smaller than the intake ports on the heads, you will not have the turbulence cause by running the 340 port size intake on 318 size ports.

This was the whole premise with the Edelbrock SP2P intake. The runners and ports were reduced, which on a mild engine in a truck for towing, or a mild street car, the velocity went up to increase port flow. Sort of a venturi effect. It is very effective in stock or mild applications. Just food for thought.

I picked up a SP2P from a member here and those ports are restrictive and small. An old co-worker of mine said they were introduced with the idea to help save fuel during the 1st gas crunch. I believe.

I agree with everyone here. The Weiand is the choice to make here. The difference between the Weiand and the Edelbrock LD340 is moot. The dual plane is what your after.

IMO, skip the port matching. Just run it, your good to go.

Remember... I'm looking for the best intake for street use. The car will not see the track, nor will the engine see those high RPMs very often..

Action Plus. I run one on the street, good intake.

As mentioned gasket match the ports.

Weiand. Good intake. that's what this 420" has on it, it runs 11.00-10.85" depending on driver, skinny brother or chubby one LOL

Attachments

• Mock up4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_0822.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 798
Big Hammer, I have that exact same engine in my 64, all I've changed was the manifold and distributor, car runs awesome with a eddy 640 on a stock early 360 cast iron manifold

The action plus is the only one with the proper bolt configuration for a roller motor heads. LA style are perpendicular to the head while the later style are verticle. You would have to drill the intake for LA heads to fit.

The action plus is the only one with the proper bolt configuration for a roller motor heads. LA style are perpendicular to the head while the later style are verticle. You would have to drill the intake for LA heads to fit.

His is a 1990 model engine. That's an LA roller engine. Non Magnum. It has standard LA cylinder heads.

At least, that's what I have gathered.

X2 All LA's have the same pattern, except for the early 273 engines. The Magnum 318 and 360, have the vertical bolt pattern as well as independent mounted rocker arms.

His is a 1990 model engine. That's an LA roller engine. Non Magnum. It has standard LA cylinder heads.

At least, that's what I have gathered.

Yep, LA 360, so standard LA heads

Thanks all, for the poll, and your first hand experiences. Looks like I'm definitely going with the Weiand intake.

Run what you have.
Take you girl out to dinner on the money saved!!

My thoughts on it are, if you can get or have an LD340 run it, else take a the newly, made weiand. They have negligible differences, but there is the cool factor of having the vintage speed part sitting on top. Jmo

-
Back