Ad density on FABO

-
I mean no disrespect when saying this, as I consider myself a mid grade hot rodder. I went gold maybe two hours of looking at site. I am surprised at the number of veteran members on here that aren't gold. I understand if you are a member of multiple sites, but if you are an Abody owner and I see you on here all the f'n time......why wouldn't you be gold? I have sponsored a few just because I believe they really add to the sites vibe and their membership expired or i was feeling the christmas love or whatever. Like I said, no harm meant....just not sure why anyone would put up with the ads and not just support their own habit.

Agree.

That's why I stated I'm not complaining, and the only reason I even mentioned my own experience is because it sounded like what I see isn't what's expected by Joey.

I'm using Chrome on desktop and mobile. Mobile is by far the worst.

I hate Firefox. I used them for a long time but gave up when they tried to stall implementing new web standards and I had more issues with sites being specifically not compatible with it than any other browser.

Edge is a nightmare. Chrome is a deal with the devil, but is the standard and so I use it to avoid all the same garbage I had with Firefox.

If a change of browser changes the site, it's not the browser making the difference but the ad blocker that comes with it or is part of a particular install. Those blockers also often mistake legit content as ads, which is why I gave up on them too. I'd rather the revenue make it to the site than have to toggle the blocker on and off every time I'm expecting a popup window that's part of some normal function, of having to deal with strange layout issues because certain frames are being blocked, or blocking photos because it thinks they're ads.

Overall, I think the site works well. I dislike the ads between posts the most, but they're not THAT bad that it would change my use of the site.

Go cruise some other sites that use keyword ads, have full ad bars on both the left and right margin, and have ads within EVERY signature line, and between every post, and windowed ones that pop up every 1-2 mins and also floating ads that you cannot close (closing one opens another). FABO is probably one of the least intrusive that isn't selling merchandise as their primary reason for existing.

Here is just another diagnostic test:

On the laptop in Florida > remote access to my Base Windows 7 desktop computer in Minnesota that is on high speed fiber fiber optics.

First test on MN Windows 7 running Chrome bringing up the sign in page for FABO.

Ads populating center of screen and keeps rolling through different advertisers.

20230211_135555.jpg

2nd test on MN remote access computer Windows 7 running Firefox browser.

No ads populating center body of screen.

20230211_140136.jpg

Multiple different formats, in different states and different service providers.

All coming up with the exact same results.

(screen shot with phone camera, because Chrome on remote access will not allow a screen shot, but firefox will.)

See what you can figure out, it's all a Process of Elimination.

Good Luck.

Things are working well, on my different platforms.

☆☆☆☆☆

You are Welcome

@Joeychgo no easy task keeping all this working for everyone.

It appears that the advertising cookies are piling up at everybodies browsers waiting to come in.

Most people don't have any idea on how to lock down their browsers, and tighten up their privacy settings to keep the 2nd and 3rd party advertising cookies at bay.

So the ads jump right onto their pages with no obstacles in the way > unobstructed.

I must say I have all my browser and privacy settings tightened up as much as possible.

I learned how to do it to begin with to stay away from those annoying Pop Ups, and now we have the ads plying for our attention.

Some of the web browsers make it hard to even find how to tighten up security. They want to keep the advertisers happy to make money so they don't go out of their way to help people to close it down.

Wish there was a better solution to this, as I am sure a lot of newcomers get frustrated and then don't get involved with the site.

Thanks Joey

Sorry for the late reply, but yes, I see ads between every 2 posts (like what others said) + the top, right side, and bottom....over 30 on this page. I tried clearing cookies like others said, and it helped for a few seconds after reloading the page, but then the ads came flowing back in like water.

I tried blocking each cookie individually, reloaded, worked for a few seconds...but then the ads came flowing back in.

I'm on Chrome on my work PC....I'll try another browser.

Thank you for looking into this Joey Chicago :)

Now sometimes, there's a full page translucent "click to close" ad randomly when a new page is opened.

Doesn't happen at work. Possibly because I'm behind a 3rd party firewall.

-
Back