Adjustable PCV and oil catch devices?

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
I read the information via search but in the interest of getting the most from my little motor I pose the following questions. I am interested in installing an oil catch device between my PCV valve and my intake manifold. In researching that, I came across the Wagner dual flow adjustable PCV valve which I find intriguing and expensive.
The motor is a Commando built + 273 which had completed cam break-in but no road miles yet. Please chime in as the subject intrigues me and I am interested in what the brain trust has to say about the matter.
Peace-out-------------------------DR----------:)

I bought one. Gladly. I don't use it exactly like Wagner wants, but it works. I just need to put the separator in line.

We need pics of this unusual device!! Preferably "installed".

Treblig

Seems to be a ton of manufacturers on the internet, google it and it comes up

The Wagner unit appears to be the one. The oil catch deal can be anything from homemade to high dollar. Just wondering what everyone is doing.

The Wagner unit appears to be the one. The oil catch deal can be anything from homemade to high dollar. Just wondering what everyone is doing.

I've posted before how I do it.

I run the PCV and pan evacs. At idle I have the PCV pulling crank case vacuum, with a little help from the pan evacs. At cruise both pull. At WOT it's just the pan evacs.

I do not pull in fresh air. It's a sealed system. I could have run a vacuum pump but there is no room for it. And this is actually a much more simple deal.

I run the PCV and pan evacs. At idle I have the PCV pulling crank case vacuum, with a little help from the pan evacs. At cruise both pull. At WOT it's just the pan evacs.

I do not pull in fresh air. It's a sealed system. I could have run a vacuum pump but there is no room for it. And this is actually a much more simple deal.
Can you post a link?

Do you mean you don't pull in unfiltered air or do you mean the only thing passing through the PCV is crank case pressure, and there isn't any actual flow through the engine?

Do you mean you don't pull in unfiltered air or do you mean the only thing passing through the PCV is crank case pressure, and there isn't any actual flow through the engine?

I mean it's a sealed system, rather than the way a PCV was designed. For it to be an actual PCV system, it should pull in fresh, filtered air into the crankcase from one side and then into the intake system.

I want my deal to pull a crankcase vacuum. Almost like a vacuum pump.

I had a heck of time with my 340 fouling it's PCV when it was mounted in the valve cover. I run a set of Cal-Custom valve covers which weren't originally baffled. Even after I made baffles I was still pulling oil, the covers are pretty short so there's not much clearance to the rockers. I run a HV oil pump too so I have pretty strong oil pressure, which throws a lot of oil around up top. I swapped out few different PVC's to get one that had the right amount of vacuum for my engine, but I didn't go to the adjustable kind. I did spend some time looking at that Wagner adjustable, but I bought a handful of cheap PCV's and just did a little trial and error instead. On the expensive side, I run a Trick Flow oil separator on it now. The PCV sits in the top of the catch can so it doesn't foul out, with -8 AN braided hose running back to an adaptor that fits into in the valve cover grommet (I run the adaptor without a restrictor, it was too restrictive for the PCV vacuum). Most of the road race and autoX guys need a remote PCV and raised breather system to keep from sloshing oil into everything, so, I figured I'd go overkill for now. The separator does get some oil, and it collects some moisture as well. Especially in the winter if I make too many short trips. Not saying its the right way to do it or anything, but that's what I run. I toyed with the idea of making everything, but the Trick Flow piece did everything I wanted it to do and then some so I just spent the money instead of spending hours and hours making something up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400850/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400861/overview/

I mean it's a sealed system, rather than the way a PCV was designed. For it to be an actual PCV system, it should pull in fresh, filtered air into the crankcase from one side and then into the intake system.

I want my deal to pull a crankcase vacuum. Almost like a vacuum pump.

Understood.
I know how they work, but I didn't know if most using the collector evac system did it like you did or not.

i bought a cheapo pcv engine oil catch can off of ebay, and filled it with ball bearings, I am running vacuum hose from the valve cover to the can and then have the catch can running to the pcv to the carb.

Understood.
I know how they work, but I didn't know if most using the collector evac system did it like you did or not.

Most don't run a pan evac. It's hard to do with muffs but it can be done. I use Car Chemistry inserts so it's easier to use the pan evacs.

I had a heck of time with my 340 fouling it's PCV when it was mounted in the valve cover. I run a set of Cal-Custom valve covers which weren't originally baffled. Even after I made baffles I was still pulling oil, the covers are pretty short so there's not much clearance to the rockers. I run a HV oil pump too so I have pretty strong oil pressure, which throws a lot of oil around up top. I swapped out few different PVC's to get one that had the right amount of vacuum for my engine, but I didn't go to the adjustable kind. I did spend some time looking at that Wagner adjustable, but I bought a handful of cheap PCV's and just did a little trial and error instead. On the expensive side, I run a Trick Flow oil separator on it now. The PCV sits in the top of the catch can so it doesn't foul out, with -8 AN braided hose running back to an adaptor that fits into in the valve cover grommet (I run the adaptor without a restrictor, it was too restrictive for the PCV vacuum). Most of the road race and autoX guys need a remote PCV and raised breather system to keep from sloshing oil into everything, so, I figured I'd go overkill for now. The separator does get some oil, and it collects some moisture as well. Especially in the winter if I make too many short trips. Not saying its the right way to do it or anything, but that's what I run. I toyed with the idea of making everything, but the Trick Flow piece did everything I wanted it to do and then some so I just spent the money instead of spending hours and hours making something up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400850/overview/
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51400861/overview/

That Trick Flow piece is way nicer than my piece. I may have to buy that. Mine works but that TF looks like a nice piece.

i bought a cheapo pcv engine oil catch can off of ebay, and filled it with ball bearings, I am running vacuum hose from the valve cover to the can and then have the catch can running to the pcv to the carb.

Why did you fill it with ball bearings? never heard of that.

Why did you fill it with ball bearings? never heard of that.
???

I got the idea from a nissan catch can with bb's... it gives the oil vapor something to precipitate on and is completely reusable, cheap and breathes well... i made sure they are big enough to fit inside, but not enough to fit in a hose

My 318 long block is basically stock with a tiny bit of blowby, so i am just looking to prolong engine health and clean up intake and combustion.

I have a blown mustang that I run an Ebay catch can with a homedepot compressor air water seperator before it goes into the intake and it works great.Mustangs had a problem even with out a blower with pcv valve in back of intake drawing in oil.Set up is a lot cheaper than 150 bucks.If you only have a little blow by I would think the separator would be enough.on deceleration my mustang sees spikes of up 25" of vacuum.

I have recently installed the Wagner dual flow adjustable, and used a air/oil separator from Home depot ( air compressor small size.) Only ran it a bit before the weather got too cold to drive.

Seperator is catching a small amount of oil/fluid, and I no longer smell the blow by gases I used to smell. Will see how it works when winter is over. I know it's expensive, but I think it will be worth it.

Ken

I have a wagner pcv valve seems to work really well.Was having some issues building up crank case pressure on my 416.That all went away with the wagner unit.Call wagner i speak with there tech guy . He was very knowledgeable about pcv sysyems real nice guy to speak with

Well, dayum, I thought I was the only idiot to spend that kind of money on a PCV valve.

Glad to see not all of us a coupon clipping tire kickers.

YES!

I used a water/oil separator for an air compressor, a V8 PCV valve, some brass fittings and some hose to make mine. It keeps the oil and such out of the intake, which is dry on my '68(EFI'd).

It's simple, works very well and trouble free.

oil trap (Large).JPG

Thanks to all who have posted here. Now I have a plan thanks to all of you. Another week and another $300 added to the bottom line, what the hell, can't take it with me-----------Rat-------:)

Thanks to all who have posted here. Now I have a plan thanks to all of you. Another week and another $300 added to the bottom line, what the hell, can't take it with me-----------Rat-------:)

My wife told me that "I could take it all with me"....she promised to put a check in my casket in the amount of all the money in my savings account!!:(

Treblig

-
Back