Adjustable rockers

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok I need to get adjustable rockers for my Comp cam.A comp rep said I can use my stock push rods and just get there rockers.I would like some views on what you guys have used,did you reuse your old shafts,is there a brand to stay away from.Will I need taller valve couvers.FABO has help me so much during this build I favour your knowledge.318 stock heads no machine work on block or heads.Cam 280-h 280 480.This cam will go into my 360 next winter.

I'm running the Comp Magnum roller rockers on my Edelbrock heads,quality is very good no issues with them going on 3 seasons now..

I went cheapo.....good clean used 273 adjustables on my 340. I'm running an Isky 280 Mega (230/230 @ .050~.485 lift). I had to change push rods because it's hydraulic lifters.

When I put a larger cam in my old pickup with a 360 I just used the 273 rockers and pushrods siince I already had them. Worked well for 14 years.
Also picked up a set of used Comp Cam lifters for another car and they are working well too.

I would measure for the pushrods once you get tthe rockers. I'd be shopping for a set of 273s with the shafts. Low budget, and very servicable. The Cadillac would be the Comp steel rollers for a street car.

Get rid of the Comp camshaft!You are better off to install a purple shaft cam from Mopar Performance. I made the mistake of using a Comp cam xe274 in my big block. I spent nearly $900 CDN for a set of Hughes rockers,shafts and hardware. ($550 USD for parts) and the rest was shipping, taxes,broker fees,exchange on US dollars. Plus....the cost of ball&cup push rods.
All this expense because the Comp cams require you to set the lifter preload.
Worked on a Chevy engine lately?? Buy a cam that doesn't require adjustable rockers. How does my engine run with the xe274 cam with the
Hughes parts....awesome!! Don't use "offshore" rockers. I have 15 and 1/2 for sale. Good luck with the project.

Its hyd,I have a tick in the valve train I have been told there is not enough preload on the lifters. Comp says the Cam I got has to have adjustable rockers for it to work.I had no idea when i bought the cam that I would have to use adjustable rockers.There is a foot note #37 must use adjustable rockers.I thought get the cam slide it in and a way you go.Not

Oldkimmer thats what I have been told just get a good set of 273 rockers and there push rods.PM me with a price for yours.Thanks

I just bought a set of comp cams steel roller rockers. I was going to go with the 273 adj. rockers before I bought my solid roller cam.......just figured I'd stick with one brand and lose some friction.:dontknow:

comp.jpg

I hope you have purchased good quality push rods. I bought comp cam brand push rods and have had 3 fail. The balls came off 2 of them and when I took them out the cup came off another one.

I think you need to talk to someone at Comp Cams that knows what he is talking about. OK, I don't know about the magnums, but the "regular" "LA" motors, when using adjustable rockers, need new pushrods. The stock pushrods have a ball on both ends (except the factory solid lifter motors). The adj rockers require a pushrod with a ball on the lifter end, and a cup on the rocker end.

The comp rockers I have require cup and ball.

Yes but you can also get them with cupped adjusters for ball/ball push rods for A engines.

Terry

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/coca.html

Our Part #1322 shaft rocker arms even include a special adjuster which allows the use of conventional ball ended pushrods. You won't find a better rocker arm for your Chrysler…anywhere!

I dont use the factory pressed type pushrods unless it's a stock engine. I think they are pretty much junk all around now. I use the Comp Hi Tech ones and you will not have failures. I had that same issue with MP too.

My Elgin pushrods have withstood 7K and 600 lift, over 150K miles, and 130K of that is truck duty, 50K of it with a 268/276 voodoo, 5K with a solid copy from Isky.

I quit buying Comp crap years ago, they just charge for the name, and aren't that great of quality. (IMO)

The stock 273 rockers and pushrods are cheap, and reliable.

Ok got a email from a member who has a set of rockers and push rods great price to boot.but I do need to know something are there spacers inbetween each rocker.

I use the Comp Hi Tech ones and you will not have failures.

Those are the ones I run in my engine. Mine are the same length as a stock Ford 302 so I don't even have to worry about getting replacements.

Ok got a email from a member who has a set of rockers and push rods great price to boot.but I do need to know something are there spacers inbetween each rocker.

Depending on the manuf. they could be shimmed spacers or thin coil springs with the old ductile iron rockers (I think).

Terry

I am in the process of building a LA 360 so I am curious, why is an adjustable rocker setup required to achieve proper preload? Why not not order pushrods of the correct length to achieve the necessary preload?

You kind of hit the nail on the head with that question Nick. Most builders go with roller tip rockers because when compared to stamped steel rockers the ratio of lets say 1.5 will be dead nuts 1.5 with reputable roller rocker manufactorers. With stamped steel that 1.5 could actually be somewhere around 1.4-1.6 or whatever. Now comes the part that tends to get forgotten. Whenever converting over to roller rockers you will have to go to custom length pushrods. The reason for this is after assembling everything the roller rocker manuf. only wants between 1-2 threads showing on the bottom of the adjuster (valves closed TDC end of compression stroke). At this point the rocker roller must be slightly towards the intake side of center where it contacts the valve stem face so that as the valve is opened the roller will move across the face of the valve stem. Lets say that the roller was not positioned properly then when the valve goes to half open then full open the roller comes to close to the edge of the valve stem face which causes side loading and other nasties. This is where custom length pushrods comes in. Using an adjustable length pushrod you adjust it so that the valve is correctly positioned in contact with the face of the valve stem (adjuster showing 1-2 threads) then remove everything, measure the length of the adjustable push rod, add approx. .060" (lifter manuf. spec.) for hydraulic lifter preload then order or build yourself a set of new pushrods. I do this check on the front rocker arms on both heads and has to be done if the heads or block deck have been shaved.
I'm going to look for and attach a good writeup from Hughes on this subject.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/501rockerarmsgeometry.php

Terry

Yes, there are spacers between the 273 rockers.....I believe there are two sizes, depending on if the spacers are between each rocker or at the end of the shaft.

I am in the process of building a LA 360 so I am curious, why is an adjustable rocker setup required to achieve proper preload? Why not not order pushrods of the correct length to achieve the necessary preload?

I guess that IS possible, but it might be an oddball length of push rods. I think this is all because the aftermarket cams have a different base circle than the factory cams. IMO, adjustable rocker arms are just the right way to do valve adjustment anyway.

-
Back