Adjustable roller rockers speedmaster vs prw

-

alex perini

Reaction score
Looking for stainless roller rockers was looking into prw but than saw speed master for alot cheaper but they look the same anyone use either of these ?

Most all the chinkesium imports are the same with different packaging.

If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet. If you have a $10 engine, buy $10 rocker arms.

I'll never use PRW again, last ones went back. Don't go cheap on valve train. It'll bite you in the *** -. Big-time.

Do you need an adjustable roller rocker? They (most and that depends on a lot) are not a drop in. You need to verify the geometry and push rod length. Tell us about your build or what you'd like to do.

Do you need an adjustable roller rocker? They (most and that depends on a lot) are not a drop in. You need to verify the geometry and push rod length. Tell us about your build or what you'd like to do.
440 with flat top kb pistons edelbrock 75cc heads ported polished luniti 513lift cam would like to do 1.6 rocker arm ratoo to up the lift a little bit and yes I need new pushrod as week but won't know what size untill I get rockers

440 with flat top kb pistons edelbrock 75cc heads ported polished luniti 513lift cam would like to do 1.6 rocker arm ratoo to up the lift a little bit and yes I need new pushrod as week but won't know what size untill I get rockers

Sounds like a real nice engine for crap rockers. Save your money up if you have to.

I'm with Rusty, save your money and get Hughes, Comp Pro Magnums, or Harland's. I used Hughes on my 340 and my dad used them on his 440. In both cases some shims that are supplies got everything lined up.

Looking for stainless roller rockers was looking into prw but than saw speed master for alot cheaper but they look the same anyone use either of these ?

I have PRW stainless 1.6's on my 340. Upon inspection, one had a messed up bushing. Other than that, they were a great value and are working flawlessly for me. Don't let others who have not used them talk you out of anything. Listen to those who have actually used the products you're asking about. To me, first hand experience trumps the internet experts. I have no experience with the speed master rockers. Either way you go, even if you opt for higher dollar rockers, inspect the hell out of them before bolting them on.

I have PRW stainless 1.6's on my 340. Upon inspection, one had a messed up bushing. Other than that, they were a great value and are working flawlessly for me. Don't let others who have not used them talk you out of anything. Listen to those who have actually used the products you're asking about. To me, first hand experience trumps the internet experts. I have no experience with the speed master rockers. Either way you go, even if you opt for higher dollar rockers, inspect the hell out of them before bolting them on.

I listen to those who have used them. Mike from MRL and Jim Laroy, the guy from B3, Brian from IMM and on and on. All of them have posted pictures of how crappy the geometry is and how bad the quality is. All of them build engines for a living. I trust their word. If I have five grand in an engine, I sure as heck ain't gonna run 200 dollar rockers. I am also not going to advise anyone else to.

Glad you've had good luck with them. Everyone is not as fortunate.

I think Mike @ B3RE uses the PRW with his geometry correction kit. I've use one set of PRW and had to do so much work to them to prepare them I won't use them anymore. I had to send 3 or 4 of them back to get replacements because the adjusting screws wouldn't set into the rocker body as they should have. And I had to do a bunch of clean up to the brass bushings to keep them from shedding brass into the engine.

There were many machining chips on the PRW that had to be cleaned before use, especially inside the rocker shafts. But in fairness, I have found that on any rocker system that comes from the factory, that includes T&D and Harland Sharp.

If I'm going inexpensive I'll use the Mancini brand rockers made by Harland Sharp or the Comp Cams Pro Magnum.

...actually, I bought mine a few years back after reading Brian used them on a build .
I agree with the majority, you get what you pay for, bottom line.
I was lucky I guess, maybe quality control was better then, the bushings were good, .0005/.001 clearance and a nice smooth feel/fit to the hardened shafts. I did hand scrape/deburr the bore edges though. The threaded holes for the adjusters were a good class 3B fit or so. I did have to clearance the back side of them to clear the valvesprings, had to use a carbide ball endmill though, material was tough, tested at 60 or 50 Rockwell C or so. (actually had to clearance a couple sets for some buddies)

figured they were better than stamped steel, on a budget,

I listen to those who have used them. Mike from MRL and Jim Laroy, the guy from B3, Brian from IMM and on and on. All of them have posted pictures of how crappy the geometry is and how bad the quality is. All of them build engines for a living. I trust their word. If I have five grand in an engine, I sure as heck ain't gonna run 200 dollar rockers. I am also not going to advise anyone else to.

Glad you've had good luck with them. Everyone is not as fortunate.

Funny you mention Brian at IMM because he's the one who actually recommended the stainless PRW rockers to me after building me a set of heads and knowing the rest of the build. As with any rocker you'd buy from anyone, you just have to inspect them really well before bolting them on.

I just hope the OP can read through the BS on this site.

Funny you mention Brian at IMM because he's the one who actually recommended the stainless PRW rockers to me after building me a set of heads and knowing the rest of the build. As with any rocker you'd buy from anyone, you just have to inspect them really well before bolting them on.

I just hope the OP can read through the BS on this site.

You may be right about Brian......I really cannot remember if it was him or not now that I think about it, but I am certain of the other names as I remember the thread where it was discussed.

Nobody called your opinion BS. Run what you want. To the OP, search the site yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult to find the thread I am speaking of. There were pictures showing the poor geometry. It's your money and your decision for sure. Good luck!

-
Back