Adjustable shocks?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I need to get a new set of rear shocks for my '73 satellite. currently it has adjustable ones on there. And They are needed so that my rear tires clear the rear fenders..

What are some good adjustable shocks that I could replace these with?

I believe they are KYB's on there right now too..

and whats the "best design" of adjustable shocks? thanks for any and all help, suggestions, and comments...

I need to get a new set of rear shocks for my '73 satellite. currently it has adjustable ones on there. And They are needed so that my rear tires clear the rear fenders..

What are some good adjustable shocks that I could replace these with?

I believe they are KYB's on there right now too..

and whats the "best design" of adjustable shocks? thanks for any and all help, suggestions, and comments...

KYB's aren't adjustable in that application. Are you talking about air shocks?

What's the problem with them? Do they not hold air?

Monroe makes a good air shock.

KYB's aren't adjustable in that application. Are you talking about air shocks?

What's the problem with them? Do they not hold air?

Monroe makes a good air shock.

yah. they are air shocks I guess. they have a valve that you can pump air into with a compressor. and they just feel SUPER stiff. maybe I'll just deal with them. but not sure if its normal or not to feel that stiff back there.

and they aren't pumped up all the way either. they say ther can go from 40-150 psi I believe, and I have them around 80

When you just use them to raise the back of a car they can be pretty stiff. When they're used to level a car that has a heavy load in the back they ride a bit softer.

You are using your shocks to hold up your car…. This is really a bad way to go… And the shocks can not be softer and still hold up the car.

You need new rear springs with a higher arch or better yet…. get some wheels that fit.

You are using your shocks to hold up your car…. This is really a bad way to go… And the shocks can not be softer and still hold up the car.

You need new rear springs with a higher arch or better yet…. get some wheels that fit.
alright.. The car was like this when I got it. As money allows i'll get springs. The springs on there look brand new though. how do I identify them to tell if they are new or the stock springs?

alright.. The car was like this when I got it. As money allows i'll get springs. The springs on there look brand new though. how do I identify them to tell if they are new or the stock springs?

73 Satelite have a lot of rear tire room. Maybe the rims push the tires out and don't have very much backspace.

What are the tire and rim specs?

73 Satelite have a lot of rear tire room. Maybe the rims push the tires out and don't have very much backspace.

What are the tire and rim specs?
\

i'll check them out and measure them. I know that these B bodies have alot of room though!

in the completely stock '74 charger we fit 295's wrapped around centerlines under there with absolutely no modification. they fit like a glove.

the tires on the satellite are 235's though IIRC. I'll double check when I get home..

The air shocks should not be pumped up stiff as a brick. This could be damageing to the upper support brace.

New 1 inch over or maybe 2 inch over springs is what youi want to do for tall tire clearance over pumping up the air shocks.

I have been told for the last 20 + years that air shocks will destroy your car.

Well, it's been 20+ years with air shocks in my Cuda and everything is fine. I was just under it a few weeks ago.

Adjustable shocks, eh? Are we talking jounce and rebound adjustable, like a Koni, or height adustable like a Gabriel Hi-Jacker? (Those are my recommendations, depending on need.)

how is this damaging to the upper support brace?
i'm on my way outside right now to take off my wheels and see what backspacing and stuff that I have on these wheels..

if mon ey is an issue go to o reilys they have them for 16.99 a piece i think there good
they have what for 16.99 a piece? and maybe when i used the word "adjustable", i was wrong. should have said air shocks I think.

so why do some people say air shocks are bad?
why is it bad to use the shocks to hold up the car?

Checked out the rims, they are 4 inch backspace. 15x8's. tires are 265 60 15's..

-
Back