Adjusting drag shocks...

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I liked the feel of the shocks on the 66 so I got a new pair of Comp Engineering drag shocks for the front end of the 73 but I'm having problems adjusting the little bastards. The ones on the 66 have the stock markings of XF F R and click each time I turn them past the letters..."click, click,click"
But the new shocks for the 73 only click 3 times total around the shock "click........click.......click" I have turned them with a wrench and pumped them up and down over 12 times to get all the air out. So what gives? If they only click 3 times around the whole shock what click is XF what click is F and what one is R? The closest click to the stamped letters is right between the XF and F.

Mine show XF to the right. You should only be turning them in the down position to the right or left only 2 clicks. I would line the mark up and push the shock open and closed a few times, then try going a click left or right to make sure they are in the setting mode. they can be tricky sometimes.

carlisle Scamp2.JPG

i have the same set and have the same problem....
i hate em haha, for some reason you just dont know were they are set....
I tried for hours but the problem is finding the setting by how hard it is to go up and down is a false reading since your getting more and more tired pumping the shocks up and down.. and the markings and clicks make no sense either, i had some old original blown out shocks that my car came which and my car pulled tire off the ground... these shocks on every setting made it worse... im going to drill a hole in them or find another worn out pair..

The last set of those I bought sucked, one shock was always stiff and the other loose. I bought the QA1 stocker star shocks after that. Good stuff there.

I ended up putting the crappy KYBs back in for now. I am going to call Summit and see if they will send me another pair that actually work like they are supposed to. Lets see if I can get someone on the phone that knows their *** from a hole in the ground this time, Summit has been going down hill for a while.

personally im not one that needs new shiney expensive parts on my car to like it...so for me im going back to some old worn out stock shocks...
reason why? Because for me I bought the 90/10's to get the weight transfer advantage and front end to lift. But theory is to get the weight to transfer which is what the 90/10's do...but apparently not like the 1969 originals once there broken in haha, but the 90/10's keep the front end up and dont let it down for a long time which technically lets alot of air under the front of the car dragging it down aerodynamic wise... not like my old shocks that threw the front end up and let it back down... the 90/10s would be better if you have serious traction problems but in my case i voted for stock....

good luck with summet... they and everyone else we buy from will say something like "line up the lines & clicks..." or "you put a screw driver on it and go up and down and find the hard/medium/easy settings"

as if they dont all get hard after 100 times up and down going in circles haha.

good luck

the reason it takes a while for the front end to come down with the 90/10's is so it gives good weight transfer AND it dosnt unload the back tires and suspension. if your front end gos up and comes down to quickly youll spin the tires/ uload the rear suspension/tires

I'm not drag racing the car. It is a 73 4 door slant six that is bone stock, it is my daily driver and I like a firm ride. I put the same shocks in my wifes 66 4 door slant six dart daily driver and it rides great. The only difference being that the pair in the 66 click where they are supposed to and these new ones don't.

Ya know, I can't figure out these Comp Eng fronts. But I do have a set of crap shocks, 72 monroes, used for 20 years; might be worth a try.

-
Back