adjusting my vac

-
Ok and do u suggest doing the timing before messing with the carb? and should i put the jets i have on right now with a block or should i up the jets?

Always set timing before the carb. Timing will affect carb. Carb will never affect timing. I would simply concentrate on the idle deal first. Main jets have no bearing on idle fuel curve. One thing at a time.

ok i was waiting for my friend to come help set timing. I set the idle in gear at 950 and put it in park and it went to almost 2k! and jerked forward when put in gear...is this converter? Because when i blocked the idle bleeds it seemed like it wanted to die aka run richer? and the idle mixture screws were already only 1/2 turn out not that rich and my plugs are brownish not black...so is this the converter?

ok i was waiting for my friend to come help set timing. I set the idle in gear at 950 and put it in park and it went to almost 2k! and jerked forward when put in gear...is this converter? Because when i blocked the idle bleeds it seemed like it wanted to die aka run richer? and the idle mixture screws were already only 1/2 turn out not that rich and my plugs are brownish not black...so is this the converter?

something is pulling on the throttle if it went form 950 to 2000 in gear........like a broken motor mount....

well i just went out and tested the converter...coasting at 1-1.5k rpm i floored it and it flashed too about 3-3.5k and chirped the tires...its idling at 1150 in Park and 650-700 in gear how does that sound?

Have you tried the things people have suggested?

Most importantly the timing. If not...

Have fun with it while your at it.

I need to put the timing in and will do it thuraday when i have the chance.. Ive tried the copper wire that dident do anything if it did it made it run richer than it was and i had to turn the screws all ths way in... So all thats left is the timing that i will do thursday and up date you guys and hopefully that fixes it

So all thats left is the timing that i will do thursday and up date you guys and hopefully that fixes it

You should have done that first.

IMHO, You can dick with the carb all you want, air bleeds, powervalve, jetting, mixture screws, whatever... if the timing is wrong, you're wasting time.

I dont have a timing light so even if i wanted too... I cant until the person who helps me is able 2

You did the wire thing? Did you also go to the 3.5PV because you have to do that at teh same time or yes, it will go way rich. Why did you up the idle so high? Your idle speed should be around 850-900 in park, and drop to around 750-800 in gear. I will be interested to see what your timing is. Because if it's what you said before, the timing's fine. Or at least close enough to not cause a problem like you're describing.

ok i did the wire thing with the 3.5 and it wanted to die aka running even richer with the screws 1/2 out in the front and 1 1/2 out in the back... I tightened the intake more and now it idles 950 in park and drops too 650-700 in gear but still wont stay on a steady vac.. I think its running rich but i still need raise the timming..the initial is the same in park as it is in gear also..

why? i haven't changed the timing yet its at 18 still..i needed to change the alternator because we will be turning it off and on..But i changed that already so on monday or tuesday we will do the initial timing and see if i can get more vacuum and less rpm drop

Why are the mixture screws so unbalanced? With 4 corner idle mix adjustment they should be very close to the same on all four. You still have carb problems. How much of the transfer slots are visible in the primary vs secondary throttle bores? I have seen several carbs (holleys and Demons) where the secondary throttle was open too far, or not enough, making it hard to adjust the idle mix well. You can adjust it easy on a Demon... Little more tricky on a holley but it can be done on the car with most intakes.
On the tightening of the intake... You are sure the intake fitment was good when it was assembled?

i have no clue why the screws are so far off...The intake fit fine...the thing is I guess i never tightened to the correct torque...so i did that today and now the drop is only 300...do you think i should re do the intake gaskets? or should they be fine now?

and I havnt touched the blades or butterflyies...only jets, screws and pv...hmmm do you think it could be the intake gaskets or the carb? im not worried as much by the drop anymore more about the un-steadyness of the needle when the car is in Gear

and on your note From what I remember I dont think they are open that wide

trainwreck.jpg

yes, i know its a mess...how about Ill wait till i ACTUALLY do the timing..to see if that leans it out any because the only time I even get close to a steady vacuum is when the needles are less than a full turn...maybe 7-4 psi but not steady...and my eyes are watering while i do this mean its RICH!

between the comments about re-tightening your intake, the low vac, and the white smoke, I would say you should pull that bugger and put some new gaskets in properly before something major gets damaged. also, have you checked your oil for water?

Love the train wreck...lol.
I think for peace of mind I would replace the intake gaskets and this time torque it properly to spec. I like the Mr Gasket Ultra Seal intake sets... You still have some tuning time. But I hope you dont think it will not smell rich at idle... The engine is not as efficient at idle and it will more than likely smell rich until you're above idle.

ah ok...hmmm guess im buying new intake gaskets =( i used the eddy intake ones because the ports are the same size as the heads

could too tight lash cause this 7-4 psi of vacuum movement in gear only? along with running rich...the Lash is .022 so i did it for .022 and did it too were a .023 wouldnt fit under it...but maybe I should lean it up a little...SO set timing...then carb then intake gaskets

so we nailed down the rpm drop too the converter...when the engine is cold it idles at 650 till it warms up and as soon as i start it and drop it in gear, only drops 100, but when warmed up and the TQ is filled with fluid it drops 300

-
Back