adjusting valves on a 440

-

440outlawdart

Reaction score
im having problems with breaking push tubes in half,i might have coil bind or in correct push tubes,or im adjusting vales wrong,whats the correct way to adjust valves on a 440

first off i'd recommend seeing if you really have coil bind. second stick a degreed timing tape on the balancer if you don't have an after market one. grab a mopar valve adjusting decal and use that procedure to adjust them.

What lifter type do you have?
If it's Hydraulic, there is no lash adjustment, and if it's a solid non-roller type, I think its .018" intake and .020" exh lash standard, but your camshaft manufacture should call out the specs. I'm not familiar with the lash settings on a roller type solid lifter... Might be the same?
Use a feeler guage to check for coil bind at max lift when done setting lash. If you dont have spring left then you'll have to change them out or the cam... Once again, the camshaft manufacture would probably be able to give you an installed height for your springs and the open and closed spring pressure needed.

EOIC

When the EXHAUST starts to OPEN, adjust the intake on that cylinder

When the INTAKE goes over center and is starting to CLOSE, adjust the exhaust for that cylinder

The first thing I would do, is buy a "pushrod length checker", they are cheap enough on eBay. Your heads and/or block may have been milled in it's previous life. Until you know the "correct" length pushrods, it will never be right. We had the same problem on an RB motor and after buying the length checker and comparing our heads to a virgin set of heads we found out our heads had been cut over .080. We also know that the block had been decked for zero deck. We ordered pushrods from Mancini after we had the correct length, and "viola" no more broken pushrods. I hope this helps you.

i checked for coil bind thats ok,plenty of room and for retainer hitting valve and thats ok,only other thing i see is rocker side clearness and thats .040,which might be walking and causing the push tubes to break,how much should i have using indy rockers,talking to indy there a little bad mouth with me on the phone so much rather see if someone here can help

yes, the best thing about talking with indy on the phone is hanging up on the bastards.

you should shim the rockers so you have very little side movement, like amost none at all.

yea im going to order shims from mancini and try to get this back together this week,cant belive indy talks to there customers like that

Most people that have delt with Indy have had a problem with their customer support (or lack there of) They have good products but they certainly are A- holes. Check that the rolller tip sweep is centered on top of valve stem (which can be adjusted by shims under the rocker shaft) and set the side play cearance with shims between the rocker arms

you said the coil bind was Ok but what are your numbers??

i had a stocker slant head on my motor when i first got it up and going with the bigger springs (didn't know anything about coil bind lol) and i was losing pushrods left and right...

old racers trick is coil bind + .050 + valve lift after lash = installed height...

its coming down to to much side clearness as its around 0.45,i have shims ordered for this week,and i was told a old trick to check for coil bind is a pape clip,which you can stick 2 paper clips in there and still fine ill check for,roller tip sweep too

-
Back