Advance springs

-

volaredon

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought some (aftermarket) "Mopar" advance springs from a guy who had a ton of them. I don't remember if it was from here or from the/6 site.
I guess I should have gotten more sets. I have a couple of "1/2 sets" with the weaker spring left in the package, I only used the heavier of the 2. The lighter one appears to be the same as the original lighter spring.
The heavier of the 2 is still much lighter than the OE heavy spring.
Id like to find a few of the heavier spring from the spring kit.
Looking at pix online of available advance springs the ones listed as "Mopar" have the loops all offset to the one side instead of centered, look like none of the springs in any of my distributors. (Of which all are Mopar)
There are some marked "Chevy" or "Ford" that look more like the same style of spring, but pics, lighting, etc can vary and none have a length listed.
Some claim to be for an "msd distributor" or "accel" distributor but look like they could work.
None of these are priced at the 49¢ it looks like they should cost, some are priced at 60 times that for just a pair. Crazy.
Lots for HEI GMs, lots I see listed for various years of Ford from the 50s and up (different sets grouped by year, none seem to fit more than a 7-8 years span and only certain engines of the respective brand, within that span at that) that look like the same style of spring that are in all of the distributors I have (70s-80s /6 and small block)
What fits, mainly looking for a mid- tension spring. I want to get rid of the heavy stock ones.
Id like to find probably 4-6 of them
Also some (most) of the "kits" im seeing, appear to have 2 of the same spring instead of 1 light tension and 1 "medium" spring.

I wish I had more of those blue dot springs they are great.

I took a shot in the dark and struck out
I bought some advance springs (weren't advertised as "Mopar" but for a much older Ford) but as long as the length is alright and the tension is what I want I don't care what brand they were originally "made for".
I bought them specifically because the seller had one of each set on a ruler and I counted the wraps and measured them vs the lighter blue dot spring thats too light to do me any good and they looked mighty close by the measurement shown in the pic. But they ended up being stiffer than the stiff side spring I'm trying to replace, without the long loop of the original stuff side spring.
I don't know how to measure spring tension from a pic or a catalog, all I can go by is length and configuration.
I wonder if something could be matched up somehow from someplace like Grainger or McMaster Carr? I know id probably have to buy a box of 10 or even 20 but I ain't paying $3 a spring plus shipping again for something that won't work. The ebay seller I took a chance on had what I bought in lots of 5.
Id like to match the heavier of the 2 springs in the blue dot ones. Which is lighter than the heavy spring in the distributors I'm trying to tune.
I had 2 sets of the blue dots. I used the heavier spring out of both sets. And left the original lighter ones in place. I put one in a /6 distributor and the other one in a 318 distributor that was planned for one of my cars but I wound up "donating" the 318 one to my kid for his .. so now I gotta do one again for mine.
On a side note he needs to learn to use a timing light, he insists on doing everything by ear.
I end up getting stuck doing anything to his vehicle that involves a timing light..,... He won't listen or learn.

I took a shot in the dark and struck out
I bought some advance springs (weren't advertised as "Mopar" but for a much older Ford) but as long as the length is alright and the tension is what I want I don't care what brand they were originally "made for".
I bought them specifically because the seller had one of each set on a ruler and I counted the wraps and measured them vs the lighter blue dot spring thats too light to do me any good and they looked mighty close by the measurement shown in the pic. But they ended up being stiffer than the stiff side spring I'm trying to replace, without the long loop of the original stuff side spring.
I don't know how to measure spring tension from a pic or a catalog, all I can go by is length and configuration.
I wonder if something could be matched up somehow from someplace like Grainger or McMaster Carr? I know id probably have to buy a box of 10 or even 20 but I ain't paying $3 a spring plus shipping again for something that won't work. The ebay seller I took a chance on had what I bought in lots of 5.
Id like to match the heavier of the 2 springs in the blue dot ones. Which is lighter than the heavy spring in the distributors I'm trying to tune.
I had 2 sets of the blue dots. I used the heavier spring out of both sets. And left the original lighter ones in place. I put one in a /6 distributor and the other one in a 318 distributor that was planned for one of my cars but I wound up "donating" the 318 one to my kid for his .. so now I gotta do one again for mine.
On a side note he needs to learn to use a timing light, he insists on doing everything by ear.
I end up getting stuck doing anything to his vehicle that involves a timing light..,... He won't listen or learn.
call these guys. they might have something. website is a bit difficult to navigate. FBO Ignition - Home of the HRR688

these work? Mancini Racing Distributor Spring Kit

-
Back