advice: 500hp SB build

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Ok - this is going in a Demon that will be a primarily street driven car. 4spd w/ 8 3/4 rear. Full interior trim.

So this is my goal: 500hp from a 360-based small block (.030 over). Nothing exotic, and something that is streetable. I expect to stroke the motor. Most likely going with Eddy heads.

with that said, does anybody have a proven engine build that would get me close to or at 500hp? If not proven, any good suggested combos? the block itself was rebuilt and bored .030 over already - also line honed and decked. Looking to start w/ this block.

So, give me some suggestions on how to get there - including what type of headwork (if any), intake, carb, gearing, CR, etc.

One other thing, I've decided to go w/ XHD leafs w/ offset hangers/shackles.

Thanks!

Any work to the Ede's?

A ported set of ede's would make it much easier and use a milder camshaft.

Ede's in stock form, run a solid cam comp 282s or bigger, ede's, 10-11:1, RPM, 950, headers.

Well ported ede's you can back the cam down to a Hydraulic like a lunati 60404, comp xe275hl, xe274-284.

Any work to the Ede's?

A ported set of ede's would make it much easier and use a milder camshaft.

Ede's in stock form, run a solid cam comp 282s or bigger, ede's, 10-11:1, RPM, 950, headers.

Well ported ede's you can back the cam down to a Hydraulic like a lunati 60404, comp xe275hl, xe274-284.
All I have right now is the block and original rotating assembly - so nothing is set in stone - I'll have the heads done if need be.

my vote would be:
a balanced stroker kit
Eddy heads ported by Ryan at shadey dell
The Xe275HL or even the XE285HL
A ported and flowed dual plane Have Ryan do that too.
Static compression around 10.5
and some sort of an 850 carb.

Just my.02
Andrew

Contact this place and tell them what you're trying to accomplish.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php

Great advice.

I've read up on a few 500 HP monsters, but in stock stroke only. They were more brackets race builds.

Fully ported heads on a 10-1 and better ratio with single plane intake, lots of carb and a cam that is preety large for street useage. Big headers, sewer pipe exhaust, etc.....

A Comp Cams "308" cam was one I read up on that made the grade.

Go W heads, 260* roller, and get a real big tranny cooler, IMO.

500HP is a lot for a 360, and I am not sure I trust the stroker to spin the RPM's that you need for 500HP.

Or, build a streetable mild (ish) 440........ (Mild compared to the 360)

With a 4" crank and fully ported Edelbrocks 500 hp is pretty realistic and still have good street manners.

Go W heads, 260* roller, and get a real big tranny cooler, IMO.

500HP is a lot for a 360, and I am not sure I trust the stroker to spin the RPM's that you need for 500HP.

Or, build a streetable mild (ish) 440........ (Mild compared to the 360)
Well, I already have a 68 dart BB project w/ a 440. this one I want to keep as my small block car.

manual tranny.

I'm not necessarily looking for a high-revving motor - I want a build for power that I would realistically be able to use on the street.

really, this is just an arbitrary goal i pulled out of my a$$ - No real performance goal related to that HP #. Maybe for the street I should be more concerned w/ the torque rather than the HP #. I'd love to get into the high to mid 11's w/ SS rear springs and 4.10 rear on sticky street tires. I figured 500hp would get me there (?).

I'd like it to have some street manners, so a somewhat decent idle and vaccum would be a goal too. Maybe a ported dual plane with ported Eddy heads to match would be the way to go. IDK.

Thanks for the info guys - keep it comming.

Great advice.

I've read up on a few 500 HP monsters, but in stock stroke only. They were more brackets race builds.

Fully ported heads on a 10-1 and better ratio with single plane intake, lots of carb and a cam that is preety large for street useage. Big headers, sewer pipe exhaust, etc.....

A Comp Cams "308" cam was one I read up on that made the grade.
Heck, I have no problem using the stock crank and stroke - it's newly freshened up - i just assumed I would need to stroke it to get the #'s I'm looking for.

Hughes is good, not my favorite.

There are some others that do great work. There's much more to cylinder heads than flow numbers.

I like Brian at Indio Motor Machine. He's a Mopar guy that runs 360's almost exclusively in his stuff. He's currently building an 48*R block/W2 360 for his Duster.

Brian recently had a 340 with stock ede's, xs282s and it made right at 460-470hp IIRC. It was a pretty nasty little piece. A little bowl porting and clean up in the runners and it would have made close to 500 IMHO.

You know, something with a 4sp car, and vacuum some don't think about.

It might not sound as cool, but you can turn the idle up on a radical motor some and pull more vacuum. (Not tons, buit it helps)

I need to get out of truck mode, the reason I don't trust the 4" idea, is because I am running one in my work truck, pulling tons and tons of weight.
First go around, it broke a piston, (Forged) where the wrist pin hole was. (Happens to be where the bottom ring is too) And wiped a cylinder when the pin came out. (Sleeve time)

Second go around, I have about 24,000 miles on it, and it has worked great tho.
Think WOT for a mile or two, at 4500RPM tho.

Are you stuck on EB heads? I know they are price effective, but if it is in your budget....... (They make some real neat ****)

I think it is very doable, on a stock motor, almost easy, but street friendly, you will have to be creative, I think. Rumble said the 308 comp would do it, I think that would be a start.

How do the B1BA's perform? The exact ones you linked are a little too involved for what i want to do (chevy-type rockers/custom exhaust drilling/non-standard intake compatability - not sure about accessory mounting either). Honestly, the Eddys are attractive because they're easy and perform well - I can use Mopar-style rockers and shafts, they accept standard intakes and exhaust is configured the same as stock. even if those brodix heads have more potential - I'm not sure I'll need it, because I don't foresee the need for going above or beyond a nice streetable build.

I like what I see, but the use of stock style shafts and rockers are something I'd like to keep.

I'm not sure.

I was just drooling on them. I built a 560 inch chev with new brodix heads last week, nice heads, perfect casting.

If your wanting to go with stock fit intake, edelbrocks are the way to go. However, there was another munufacture I found, let me go through my history.

I like what I see, but the use of stock style shafts and rockers are something I'd like to keep.

Me too, you know my saying, real engines have rocker shafts.......

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Code=RH&Product_Code=20301&Category_Code=Chry

No flow rates. Bummer. This head is a big difference from the Bros. Dix head.

In case you haven't noticed, I am not a fan of EB heads..... LOL..... (Just a couple bad experiences) BUt hey, I refuse to use crane rocker arms now too... Yeah, I am picky.

I looked everywhere, I will do more research tonight. (There has to be flow charts for them heds somewhere)
I cant even find a good pic.

It doesn't matter how much HP, if you can't get it to the ground; start with looking at traction...

My recomendations were based on the statement that it was "going to primarily be a street machine"

So let me further qualify:
I dont like Hughes either and I want sombody who specializes in small block MoPars. Ryan fits the bill. His site posts these numbers for fully ported edy head. .500"-276.0 Int/ 217.4Ex These numbers are comparable to an as cast W-2 head.And even a really good valve train for the eddy is half of what the W-2 valvetrain would cost.
NOW if cost is not a factor-what you really need8) is a set of Brodex Heads fully ported.They have 2.18Int and 1.60Ex And at .500" they flow331.1Int/ 239.4 Ex. Now being the type of person I am I called and asked HOW MUCH?
If my memory serves me correctly they were about $3000 ea and you need the high end valve train on top of that.
You said that you were more concerned with torque which is why I recommended a dual plane manifold, you will like it much more on the street.
Andrew

What is the budget for the build?
Well, I haven't set one yet. I'd say moderate. I'm not looking for second-rate parts, but I don't want to go buying full-race parts if I have no intention of tapping it's potential. Reliable but economical.

My recomendations were based on the statement that it was "going to primarily be a street machine"

So let me further qualify:
I dont like Hughes either and I want sombody who specializes in small block MoPars. Ryan fits the bill. His site posts these numbers for fully ported edy head. .500"-276.0 Int/ 217.4Ex These numbers are comparable to an as cast W-2 head.And even a really good valve train for the eddy is half of what the W-2 valvetrain would cost.
NOW if cost is not a factor-what you really need8) is a set of Brodex Heads fully ported.They have 2.18Int and 1.60Ex And at .500" they flow331.1Int/ 239.4 Ex. Now being the type of person I am I called and asked HOW MUCH?
If my memory serves me correctly they were about $3000 ea and you need the high end valve train on top of that.
You said that you were more concerned with torque which is why I recommended a dual plane manifold, you will like it much more on the street.
Andrew
Yeah, I'm leaning that way - a dual plane might be what I'm looking for.

I'll check out th web site, thanks.

Budget is always an issue - Let's say I'm pretty firm on the less expensive eddy's for now. Maybe the Comp rollers to top them off.

Here is a build for you, as this is what i have in duster.

360, stock stroke & .040 KB107 pistons set at 0 deck.
340 rods (race prepped)
Lunati solid roller cam #60433 - 249/255 at .050 585/600 lift
Crane Ultra Pro roller lifters(no need to grind block, they just drop in)
Eddy heads(cleaned up & flowed) 270 on int. 205 on ex. @ 550 lift.
All new springs & retainers for the roller.
Had to redo the valve job as it was crappy out of the box.
Eddy Air Gap intake(port matched to heads) & holley 750HP.
Milodon oil pan, rollmaster timing chain, arp everywhere.

Idles at 850 w/ 9.5 in. of vaccum, soso w/ my pwr. brakes.

Dynoed @ 519.8hp @6250
495.9tq @4500
:cheers:

-
Back