Advice needed on used crate engine

-
if you could schwing it, by scrimping and saving, looking at what i see... i would say new lifters / cam / springs if you could.

My buddy is a salesman for a major auto parts chain in the area. I get cost plus 10 %.

I'm seriously thinking about replacing the unknown cam, lifters ,springs , and having the heads at least looked at and freshened. I'll know more when I pull the heads and inspect the lower end.

See how things start to snow ball?!?

if it ran good I would just use it as is
if it aint broke why fix it?
just a temp anyway, save the cash for the replacement engine

Can anyone decode this block number?!? Trying to find out if this is a 89-92 roller block?

IMG_20120226_104621.jpg

Or this intake??? MOPAR is cast into the top. Is it a M1 intake?!?

IMG_20120226_103457.jpg

BrianT,

I have a 1992 360 Super Commando (see pics).

The 360 Super Commando crate engine is essentially a production standard bore 1992 360 LA engine (roller block) with high vol. oil pump, MP cam (280/280 gross duration, .474/.474 lift), the heads, 444308, have 2.02/1.60 valves and 9.0:1 compression ratio. Motor used a single plane M1 intake. With a 750 carb, it puts out over 360HP at 5500rpm, and maintains 365 lbs torque from 2250-5750rpm.

Here's some pics of the block, I'll post some more... give me few minutes to resize them.

Attachments

• Engine and Intake 002.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Engine and Intake 004.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Engine and Intake 007.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 106
My block had the stamped steel rockers like yours does and mine had the KB Performance Silv-O-Lite hypereutectic pistons. I called KB and they verified the pistons were special made for Mopar crate motor program.

I used the block and heads to build my 408 stroker for my Demon. But, I still have the pistons, rods, crank, balancer, oil pan, and M1 intake if you want to turn your's into a "Super Commando".

Heres some pics of the head numbers and the pistons and rods.

Attachments

• Heads04.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 95
  • Heads06.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Demon_Engine011.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Demon_Engine012.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Demon_Engine013.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Demon_Engine014.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 90
I used the block and heads to build my 408 stroker for my Demon. But, I still have the pistons, rods, crank, balancer, oil pan, and M1 intake if you want to turn your's into a "Super Commando".

I think I will just stick with my original plan of tearing it down to the short block, plastigauge the bottom end, and put it back together with new oil pump, water pump, timing set and gaskets. My buddy has the part numbers and is checking prices today.

We will be bringing it home on Saturday. I will pull the intake, valve covers and Shumaker mounts and they will all be for sale.

I forgot to add this earlier, but when I paid for it I told him I couldn't pick it up til next Saturday. He said no problem. I had a copy of all of the emails back and forth, so I could document everything that he told me about the engine over the last week. I asked him to write me a receipt on the back of them, showing that it was paid for and guaranteed. He said that his reputation is not worth ripping off a fellow Mopar guy and I agreed.

He wrote "Motor is promised to be a good working, kick *** motor, ready to rock & roll. Money back guarantee"

I think that about covers it!!

oops. i looked at the wrong pic..

Yeah, that's not my block. But the long number is the same as my block. Next Saturday I'll get a better look at everything and write down some more numbers.

That's cool. I hope the info I provided helped you out. Info on these early crate motors is hard to find.

Yes it did. Thank you.

I am still trying to find info on the 300 hp version that I have. I don't even know what heads or pistons I have?!?

-
Back