Advise on a 66 Barracuda

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some opinions on a 1966 Barracuda Formula S that I'm considering. It's got the original 273 Commando and will come with a 904 and 7 1/4. Glass, trim, gauges, interior is all there but needs cleaning and refurbishing. The engine needs a rebuild as does most everything else however there is little rust and two dents which consist of a large on in the panel that would need to be straightened out and a small one on the fender. It will be complete in that everything needed will be there except needs to be reworked. So we are looking at a 1966 rolling chassis with front discs, 273, 904, 7 1/4, formula S that needs a total restoration. What is a good estimate for this car? Are Formula S's worth a bit?

Thanks
Jake

This is what you are going to be hearing...
:worthles:

Hey guys I'm looking for some opinions on a 1966 Barracuda Formula S that I'm considering. It's got the original 273 Commando and will come with a 904 and 7 1/4. Glass, trim, gauges, interior is all there but needs cleaning and refurbishing. The engine needs a rebuild as does most everything else however there is little rust and two dents which consist of a large on in the panel that would need to be straightened out and a small one on the fender. It will be complete in that everything needed will be there except needs to be reworked. So we are looking at a 1966 rolling chassis with front discs, 273, 904, 7 1/4, formula S that needs a total restoration. What is a good estimate for this car? Are Formula S's worth a bit?

Thanks
Jake

Just by your description above, I would put a guess at about $1500.00. Yes, pics would help, especially any of the offending dents, rusted areas or items that need replaced rather than just cleaned up!!

Remember that even the finest examples of early A cars very seldom ever sell above the 8k mark, and most running, driving examples can be had for 3-5k, depending on condition and rarity!! Hope this helps, Geof

The early A's strugle with pulling in decent money. With that said your always money ahead starting with a more desirable car. A Formula S Barracuda is just about the most desirable early A out there IMO.

I would quess value as described anywhere from $1500 to $2500. Just seen a members here, his non running Formula S just sold on ebay for mid $1,700. I think he may have done better with more pictures. He only had four in the ad. Was down in your area also. Maybe this is the car your talking about. I think it was a fair price.

If your looking to fix up and flip you will more than likely lose money. If you fix up drive and enjoy the car. When you do sell it being a Formula S model will make it easier to sell and increase value over a standard model.

Can't really tell without photos, but a total restoration will probably cost more than the car is worth. Remember there are virtually no reproduction parts for the early A-body (1964-1966) 'Cudas. If you bought one that needed only some fixing up & paint you might make out OK. My 1965 Formula S is appraised and insured right now for $16,000 but is onlu worth what someone will pay. Book value can run up to $20,000 for a car in excellent condition, note that this does not mean a "perfect" 100-point show car. You need to do the math on what this car needs. My "street" paint job cost over $5000 and I did most of the work myself, but it has held up well for over 10 years now. As a few examples I've seen recently, the back glass went for $1300, NOS Formula S emblems were $150 each, the Commando 273 air cleaner and valve covers went for $300, a front valance panel $280, etc. These were all on E-Bay. Good luck if you decide to go for it. If I can help with anything let me know.

i have a whole complete red interior for your 66 1000.00 + the ride seats alone will be 500.00 per seat to redo that tell yah what it takes a little bit i have 26,000.00 in my 65 barracuda its worth about 10 k in this economy whats it worth to you in the end burry me in mine its 1 off a kind awsome pearl blue and 360 +30 rocketcammando call me when u need your parts i have alot most int or for 64-65

i have a whole complete red interior for your 66 1000.00 + the ride seats alone will be 500.00 per seat to redo that tell yah what it takes a little bit i have 26,000.00 in my 65 barracuda its worth about 10 k in this economy whats it worth to you in the end burry me in mine its 1 off a kind awsome pearl blue and 360 +30 rocketcammando call me when u need your parts i have alot most int or for 64-65

Damn man chill out. Every early A thread on this board has you pushing parts. Post in the parts for sale and leave it there!

Can't really tell without photos, but a total restoration will probably cost more than the car is worth. Remember there are virtually no reproduction parts for the early A-body (1964-1966) 'Cudas. If you bought one that needed only some fixing up & paint you might make out OK. My 1965 Formula S is appraised and insured right now for $16,000 but is onlu worth what someone will pay. Book value can run up to $20,000 for a car in excellent condition, note that this does not mean a "perfect" 100-point show car. You need to do the math on what this car needs. My "street" paint job cost over $5000 and I did most of the work myself, but it has held up well for over 10 years now. As a few examples I've seen recently, the back glass went for $1300, NOS Formula S emblems were $150 each, the Commando 273 air cleaner and valve covers went for $300, a front valance panel $280, etc. These were all on E-Bay. Good luck if you decide to go for it. If I can help with anything let me know.

Send the guy over to me that will pay $1300 for the back window, I got 2 to sell him, and only $500.00 each!!LOL!!

The back glass on 64-66 doesn't sell for anywhere near that kind of money, but thanks to the "Desert Car Kings", now everybody thinks they do. Well, they thought that before that show too, but I can tell you that they don't even sell for $50.00!!

I went to look at a clapped out 65 a couple years ago, and almost passed out when the owner told me he was asking $4500!! When I asked him why the price was so high, he told me that the back window alone was worth $1500. I turned it right around on him and offered him 3 rear windows for his car...of course he turned that down!!

I saw chryslerfat's running and driving Formula "S" 65 car sell for what??Less than $2500 if I remember right. Went to a member too. Now that was a good deal!! Geof

"Are Formula S's worth a bit?" ... well a little bit but not too much.

I'm thinking the max this car is worth today totally fixed up is $5500.
So with a $3000 engine rebuild there's not too much left to get it looking good.
So to me this car sounds like it has too many expensive needs.
This car has some potential but as soon as you get anything done to it you'll be way upside down value wise.

Thanks for all the input. I went and talked to him again and see what else he had to offer for the deal. He was willing to put a rolling chassis parts car in with that I could use for the rust on the quarters and anything else I needed and an extra rear glass. For the 2 of em it's around 1500 and I think that's a pretty good deal considering I'll part out the chassis once I'm done for a couple hundred bucks and be hopefully around a grand into a straight bodied Formula S. I'm really considering getting them and just storing them for a while until I have the necessary time to do all the bodywork. So $1500 for the two. How does that sound to you guys?

Photos are worth thousands i say 1500 for one and get the parts car too? My 66 is basicly orig. and had a cosmetic resto in 96 i have around 2500 into it not including purchase and i have not began restoration,i just drive it on weekends and enjoy it,she does need a paint job but life comes first my 66 is a luxury at this time someday i'll redo her.

If you have somewhere to store them, if the pot metal and other trim parts are in above average to exellent condition, lots of ifs to consider.

Well, you won't be upside down at $1500 for both, even if you had to part them out to make your money back!! If they were near me, I would buy them!!!JMO, Geof

Front disk brakes is a good good thing :cheers:
Just look real close at the frame rails in front and the T bar area for bad rust, along with the rear spring attaching area, repairing these area's can be dun but costly, I agree, if I had the cash and they was close I would have my son bring them home.. These are sway bar cars aren't they :glasses7:

The trim is all there on both and in good enough shape for how I'd want to do it. No rust on the frame rails or floors. And I do have a place to store them. I just convinced myself. I'll be getting them next weekend.

As I recall, the '66 Formula S comes with the bigger rear end, not the 7 1/4. Maybe someone swapped it out.

I believe that in 65, the 8 3/4 was a dealer installed deal after you broke your 7 1/4. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think 66 was the first year for 8 3/4s to be an actual option. It might still have its original 7 1/4 with sure grip too!

Front disk brakes is a good good thing :cheers:
Just look real close at the frame rails in front and the T bar area for bad rust, along with the rear spring attaching area, repairing these area's can be dun but costly, I agree, if I had the cash and they was close I would have my son bring them home.. These are sway bar cars aren't they :glasses7:

$1500 sounds like a really nice deal. Memike offers great advice, don't let the excitement of buying this car blind you to the possibility that the frame and body have other issues. If you're not sure what to look for, take a buddy or two to look the car over. Take a flashlight to look in the trunk, wheel wells, and underside. Check the body gaps to make sure they're uniform. You want a good foundation for a project car. Best of luck. And PICTURES!!!!!!

-
Back