-
Status
Not open for further replies.

pettybludart

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
Can antbody give me some output on bringing a car across border.Car is pre-67.Guy says no title just bill of sale.So to put the car in my name,what steps??Is this going to be a problem?Never been down this road.Any advise will be helpful.Thanks

The state of Maine doesn`t issue titles for cars over 15 years old. If you can go through Maine (get a Maine registration) you shouldn`t have any trouble.

I bought my 1971 Demon in Miami Florida 3 years ago. It did have a title as only some states have them. What I had to do when I brought mine across was to drop all the paperwork (in your case, bill of sale) at the U.S. customs Export division where the car will be crossing. The must have the paperwork for a minumum of 3 days prior to you bringing the car across. I brought the car from Miami to Watertown N.Y. and stored it at a U-haul lot for the week. Dropped off the paperwork at customs and then went back the next weekend and brought the car home. Stopped at Canadian customs with the title and bill of sale and my E-bay winning bidder print-outs , paid $78.00 and have since spent another $10,000.00. Make sure when you get the Bill-of-Sale that it has as much information on it as possible. Check with the Ontario ministry of transport first to make sure that your vehicle can be imported as not all cars are allowed to be brought into Canada. The biggest hassle I had was showing them that the A/C was removed as R12 is not allowed to be brought over the border. Check with the license bureau to make sure that they will accept only a bill of sale with No Title and what if any other documents are required.
Good Luck
Kenny B

Hey Tomcopbar! thanks for the link.What year is your Dart it looks older than 15 years?Did you have ownership or bill of sale?Safety?Trip permit?I,m thinking broker.Thanks for any more info.

I was going to recommend calling a broker like Menhdelson. They process the proper documents etc for you. They will then tell you exactly where you need to cross the border, as that will be your portal into Canada. they will also process your duties etc. I using them for equipment I ship to Canada that was built in usa but not returning.

good luck!

I just brought a car back in August you have to give 24 hours notice for the paperwork and have it faxed to the border with attention to customs 24 hrs before the ask for a title not sure what happens if you don't have one then you have to go to the customs on the u.s. side and they will make the car "not exist" in the states removing it from their registry then you cross the border and go to canadian customs and do the same and pay a minimal transfer fee plus what the car is appraised for (can be done at any dealership for free the ministry of transportation has the paper work you need) I didn't do the canadian side of the deal just the u.s. part Canadian border guards are currently working without a contract and are not happy they let my 750$ purchase go through without any taxes whatsoever the only downside is that the car no longer exist and can never be put on the road. it was for parts so I didn't care.

Not duty....taxes. You don't pay duty on anything manufactured in the USA or Canada. You pay taxes on the greater of the purchase price or book value (whatever book they use, blue, black.....etc). Of course, you pay tax on the value converted to Canadian funds first.

In my case, crossing into Manitoba, I only pay GST. PST will be paid when insuring the car.

Just clarifying for everyone.

Darren

I followed these guidelines with my Dart. I did NOT have to go through the 3 day import, that is apparently only for vehicles 15 yrs or older. I crossed at Windsor and had absolutely no problems, just paid my duty and drove home.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm
hope this helps

If you're referring to faxing the paperwork (title and bill of sale) to the US side, it has to be at the US customs office 72 hours before you cross, minimum, not 24hrs.

Darren

I just brought a car back in August you have to give 24 hours notice for the paperwork and have it faxed to the border with attention to customs 24 hrs before the ask for a title not sure what happens if you don't have one then you have to go to the customs on the u.s. side and they will make the car "not exist" in the states removing it from their registry then you cross the border and go to canadian customs and do the same and pay a minimal transfer fee plus what the car is appraised for (can be done at any dealership for free the ministry of transportation has the paper work you need) I didn't do the canadian side of the deal just the u.s. part Canadian border guards are currently working without a contract and are not happy they let my 750$ purchase go through without any taxes whatsoever the only downside is that the car no longer exist and can never be put on the road. it was for parts so I didn't care.

The process is so easy, it's not worth the cash to get a broker IMO.

Literally, just clear the title with the US side (make sure your car isn't stolen or not eligible for export because of liens etc), take it to the Canadian side, fill out form 1 and pay the GST with VISA/MC etc and off you go. I crossed the border at 1am on a saturday and they were saying "hi" to me as I walked into the customs office because I was the only one there!

It was a breeze and I'd recommend saving the cash if you can be at the border in person.

Darren

I was going to recommend calling a broker like Menhdelson. They process the proper documents etc for you. They will then tell you exactly where you need to cross the border, as that will be your portal into Canada. they will also process your duties etc. I using them for equipment I ship to Canada that was built in usa but not returning.

good luck!

I've brought 2 mopars up from the States, an 84 Ramcharger from PA, and a 67 Dart from Ohio. Both had titles, though. Can't help on that part. Both had their VIN info faxed to Customs in the 72 hour window as req'd. They will actually keep it up to 30 days FYI. The only hard and fast advice I have for you is this: If you plan on importing at the Lewiston,NY crossing, know that they ONLY do exporting mon-fri 9-5. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! I spent the weekend in Niagara Falls,NY and missed a night of work because I was not aware of this. Good luck! It can be a stressful experience, have as much documentation as you can. Ebay auction printouts, website ads, emails, whatever. The more the better,IMO.

Windsor seems to be the better one to cross at,Ive crossed at most and they seem to know a little more about the process.

I've brought a few back in the last year but all with titles, I would suggest you have your bill of sale notorized before you bring it across. You can get a temporary tag in every state but make sure you bring your insurance slip or no tag! To prevent getting challenged on the sale price bring the currency conversion slip from the bank if you pay by cash or a copy of the check or bank draft. If you can document what you paid there will be no problem with Canada Customs. Ogdensburg/Prescott border is good, Ivy Lea near Kingston is also good. You do need to decide which crossing you are going to use and call them about their requirements. For example at Lewisburg you can fax them a copy, Ivy Lea requires the original documents be sent in advance. Each crossing have there own standards.
Good Luck,
Don

very easy process no need to get a broker...however you do need the title like everyone said...what i did when i brought the scamp in (from michigan through the Sarnia port) is i called the border much in advance to find out how far in advance they wanted a copy of the title faxed (call more than once because different people will tell you different things- my consensus was abotu 3 days, so i faxed it 4 days instead to be safe)...and you just need the bill of sale...very easy process...what i did was i wrote a bill of sale with the guy i bought the car from, then he also made up another which he still signed and i filled in the amount (much lower than what i bought the car for) and thats what i showed to customs at Canada so i wouldnt be taxed a ton...I used a Uhaul trailer and did the in town rental since its cheaper and theyll never know- it cost about 45 for the day...other than that, it was all gas money...make sure you have good directions, a map, a gps or something, and bring your toolbox with you at the very least- you never know what can happen...i also brought along my floorjack to be on the safe side...anyways good luck, and make sure you post some pics of the car once you get er home

Pettybludart, my Dart is a 71. What I had was just a bill of sale and a title, thats all I was asked for. The plates on the car were good for another month and the guy let me keep them, so I had no problem that way either, drove it 3000 miles using 1qt of oil to Windsor, spent half an hour talking about my car with the customs officer then drove home. I DID NOT have to wait 3-4 days or export the car from the US, all I did was drive to the border. IMO if the officer is giving you a hard time, accept it, but ask to talk to a supervisor, it might be handy to have the laws in hand, printed from the Canadian Gov't website. Hope this helps. Also, sorry for the length of time on reply.

Pettybludart, my Dart is a 71. What I had was just a bill of sale and a title, thats all I was asked for. The plates on the car were good for another month and the guy let me keep them, so I had no problem that way either, drove it 3000 miles using 1qt of oil to Windsor, spent half an hour talking about my car with the customs officer then drove home. I DID NOT have to wait 3-4 days or export the car from the US, all I did was drive to the border. IMO if the officer is giving you a hard time, accept it, but ask to talk to a supervisor, it might be handy to have the laws in hand, printed from the Canadian Gov't website. Hope this helps. Also, sorry for the length of time on reply.

I don't know, You either imported this back in 1980 when ther was different rules, or else you were just really lucky.

If you go to the rules on the importing and exporting vehicles, it clearly says that you must fax the bill of sale, and copie of title, ahead of time ( 72 hours) NO EXCEPTIONS.

I don't think it is possible to import something without a title. I am looking to buy a quad from wahington, and I won't be able to bring something without a title across.
My first car came from Idaho in 1996. and we drove that '67 galaxie streight to the boarder and did the paperwork there. But I bought a duster in October of 2007, and I had to give 72 hours notice. Its all new rules.

Don't get me wrong...its all too easy, and worth it.

I don't know, You either imported this back in 1980 when ther was different rules, or else you were just really lucky.

If you go to the rules on the importing and exporting vehicles, it clearly says that you must fax the bill of sale, and copie of title, ahead of time ( 72 hours) NO EXCEPTIONS.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=+1]Vehicles Over 15 years old (except buses)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=-1]
  • All vehicles (except buses) that are over 15 years or older by the date of manufacture are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer[/SIZE][/FONT]
That is straight from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website
www.riv.ca

pettyblu, I would contact an "official" official, or a bureaucratic dum bass if you ask me, but they should, should being the key word, give you a solid answer on the title issue, but I am 100% sure of the 15yr deal.

Also, it could be that the US has the law that every single vehicle, no exceptions, needs to be exported permanently, but they dont matter at all IMO, once your at the desk in canada US law doesnt govern you, id still cross at Windsor, I feel safest there.

I agree with mr. tires....i dont know how you managed to get across like that...the registrar of imported vehicles is someting totdally different- its a like extra $200 fee and your vehicle has to go to an inspection ( i think by canadian tire) once it enters the country...even if your car is still 15 years old, you still have to fax title copy to the border however many days in advance they ask and then when you arrive you need to have the bill of sale to show...Pettybludart, I would advise that you just call the border crossing which you plan on going through and telling them you are from Canada importing a US car, how do i go about it- they mite be pricks (as they were to me many times) but if you need to call 10 times to speak to different people just to be sure, it doesnt hurt

I,ve hired a broker as I,m not allowed across border.72 hours ahead of bringing car across is mandatory.It,s been an experience for me phone,fax,paperwork etc...I think because this is my first time doing this,next time I,ll know exactly what to do right from start.Thanks for all your help guys,car should be here this week.I,ll post pics.

just blow right through the border gates...full throts....

Thats might work as the border gaurds on our side are unarmed. on another note, congrats to pettyblu on getting things worked out and getting a 'new' car, maybe the cost of the broker is worth the hassle that might of happened. I just hope that if I ever do do it again it goes just as smoothly as the first time (thats what she said) I like Windsor though, ive crossed at niagra twice with a friend who bought a car and ran into the same :snakeman: woman twice, i didnt even buy anything and felt as though i might not be let back in, i hate that crossing.

obama might let you cross, and then hes going to ask for half of your money, and then give it away to the minorities

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=+1]Vehicles Over 15 years old (except buses)[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT][SIZE=-1]
  • All vehicles (except buses) that are over 15 years or older by the date of manufacture are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer[/SIZE][/FONT]
That is straight from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles website
www.riv.ca

pettyblu, I would contact an "official" official, or a bureaucratic dum bass if you ask me, but they should, should being the key word, give you a solid answer on the title issue, but I am 100% sure of the 15yr deal.

Do you know what you are quoting?
Do you know what regestrar is?
Do you know that the information you posted has NOTHING to do with the 72 hour rule?

Registrar is a government MONEY grab that inspects vehicles that are 15 years old or newer to see if it complies with Canadian rules..IE daytime running lights...Low impact bumpers, Speedo in KM, etc etc. It also verifies that the vihicle is the vehicle that you have the paper work for. Thats it. You get the test done at canadian tire. This has NOTHING to do with importing a vehicle at the boarder, and dealing with customs, and giving the info 72 hours ahead of time.

BY the way Regisrar is a CANADIAN program. You have to give the US side the paper work 72 hours ahead of time...not the canadian side. They have absolutly NOTHING to do with each other.

However you did it ( when you imported your car) you either were lucky, or you did it in the early 90's or in a small town. When i imported my Galaxie from Idaho, i lived in a small town of Creston. we didn't do any of that stuff. Just whent down and bought it, and drove it back with a bill of sale in the window. got to the boarder and payed some taxes and duty, then left it at the boarder to go get a permit. I don't know if I did it when these rules didn't exist, or if because small town crossings are soo slow that they don't car. I did that car in 1995. YOU CAN"T DO ANY OF THAT AT A BIG CROSSING like here in the lower mainland. thats were i brought my duster over last year. you HAVE to follow the rules, or you will get turned back...and given a hard time to boot.

To whomever is thinking of importing a car from the states....

I highly recomend it...
But follow the 72 hour rule!
get a vehicle/heavy machinery export sheet and fill it out, and give it to the US customs 3 days befor exporting the item, along wit a bill of sale, and copies of title.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back