After almost a year, Dart saw the light of day!!

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Haven't been on FABO for a while, just thought I'd give an update and an explanation.

Brief recap. My neighbor mini tubbed the Dart almost two years ago. I bought a set of four wheel discs from Master Power. Whole front end rebuild kit from Just Suspension. Decided to narrow the 8 3/4 to obtain correct looking offset on rear wheels. Threw that plan out the window and had a custom width Strange 60 rear end built. Ordered my wheels and tires, and they fit great. Then the car sat for almost a year...

Feb11013Medium.jpg

Brake lines needed to be run, parking brake bracket needed to be fabbed. Alignment needed to done. I decided to install a floor shift steering column and new Tuff wheel, etc. Long story short, I kinda lost interest and the car has been sitting.

Enter my buddy Adam. He kicks me in the *** and reminds me how much time and money I have invested so far and that it's shame to let the car sit and gather dust. So with his help, new brake lines were run and the brakes were bled (long drawn out process, could be a thread of it's own!!). The steering column got a rattle can rebuild but we added a leather Tuff wheel and a Flaming River u joint.

We set the alignment by eye the best we could, then we took the Dart to work yesterday and got it on the alignment machine. After a couple hours and some head scratching, we got the alignment within specs and got to take it for a spin!!!

IMG_20111231_100231.jpg

The car stops and drives wonderfully!!! It tracks straight and doesn't pull either direction. There is no locking of the brakes even though we didn't use a proportioning valve, only a splitter. We are no where near being done, but my car is no longer fancy garage art!!! Here is a link to a bunch of pictures if anyone is interested...

Photobucket link to brake project

Needless to say, I'm stoked. I hope that 2012 becomes known as the year of the Dart!!!! Best wishes to everyone in the new year!!!

Wish I could tub mine, but MAN that looks great. Really like your wheels. Must be nice to work where you just happen to have an alignment rack. I don't even have a shop, I'm planning on jacking my trailer up level and using it for a "rack." Got meself a buy on some used Ammco stuff, a caster/ camber gauge, toe gauge, and some swivel plates.

that thing has a mean stance. i love your choice of wheels and tires. great car , glad you fell in love with it all over again!i have had my charger on the back burner for a while ,it needs very little, but this summer i am going to git er dun.

Looking great! Sweet tire combo!

Great looking Dart Brian T. I like the stance.

Attachments

• 4][py63452JPG.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 169
Can you send Adam down my way??? Brian your looks spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. The car is really a 20 footer, but it's coming along. When it sits in the barn and gathers dust, it's easy to keep ignoring things that really need to be done. Every time we drag it out, I wash it up real well and that helps to get me excited again. Here is what it looked like today after a bath.

Dart2012005Medium.jpg

I bought a 1984 Yamaha RZ350 a couple of months ago and that has been taking up a lot of my attention. It has a bad motor in it. Soooooooo, the money that I was going to spend on the dart engine this winter, is now going into the RZ engine.

IMG_20111106_115916.jpg

We are building a sweet little stroker motor for it, with a "stage 3" port job, bigger carbs, etc...should be a fun little around town bike. But it has distracted me from the Dart project. These are both toys that I've wanted since I was young and I am really blessed to be able to have these projects.

-
Back