After Market floor shifter

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a 67 cuda with a 904 and column shifter. The linkage is pretty worn out, So I am looking at an aftermarket floor shifter. The B&M looks good to me. What have you guys used and did it install well with few complications? What about carpet? did you install in over the carpet or cut to fit? Any info would be great?

Thanks,
John D. Beckerley
Autsin, Texas

John I have a B&M Quicksilver in my 68 Cuda. My car had a factory console so it was quite a bit of work getting it to fit under the console and look right. If it weren't for the console they aren't hard to install at all. And you can install over the carpet or cut it away. Your choice.

BTW: Only one thing to watch out for is if how you run the cable. If you have headers it isn't easy finding a route for the cable to run that isn't close to the headers. When I first put mine in I had it a little too close to the header and ruined the cable in less than 5 miles. I ended up buying a longer cable than stock (stock was 4 foot, I bought a 5 foot replacement) and running it a different route to miss the headers good and it's been fine since.

i like the pro-matic. it's very easy to use and there is obsolutly no chance of missing a gear or sticking in reverse or park by mistake. i used them in several hotrods.

Tha turbo action has been by far the best shifter I have used. From thaw canoe routing to the smooth operation of it ya just can't beat it

Thanks for the input guys. It's a toss up between the B&M Mega Shifter and Hurst's V-Matic. Although it seems one company is owned by the other. I don't need a "race" shifter just something that functions right and looks decent. I like the T-Handle look too!

John B.

Does anyone have a picture of an aftermarket shifter installed in a Split bench 2nd generation Barracuda or A-Body? Would like to see how it fits.

John B.

I also have the B&M star shifter,it is the only one I buy when I need to,also there is a clearance problim with one of the tranney lines,it has to be bent to clear the bracket that bolts to the pan,a real ***** to bend it almost a 90 to clear.I would be interested to here how outhers have delt with this problim,maybe I am not doing something right.

I echo Fishy68 abit. I used a inexpensive shifter and have bucket seats.
Since I had the crpet out of the car to begin with, it was easier to do. The carpet was installed later. A razor will make the carpet cutting easy. With a "X" cut, you'll just peel back the carpet to drill.

In my thread below, somewhere in there a few pages deep towards the end, you'll see where I put it. It would be a bit further back than where you want to put it. Under the car, the tranny may be in the way. For me, it was the end of the trans where the yoke leeds to the driveshaft. The little nuts are tuff to put on.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&highlight=rumblefish360

-
Back