Aftermarket cylinder heads?? Which is best for the money??

-

360PLUS

Reaction score
Please help me out, i have a 410 ci LA 360, so i need standard oiling thru the heads, also i already have a set of 1 3/4" LA port headers. I would like to get between between 550 575hp, with some streetability with a hyd roller. It appears the Trick flow heads are best by miles, ive been reading up on the promaxx and speedmasters ?? are the equal? Any real world hands on information.

What you want is doable. I'd think twice about the hydraulic roller.

I'd shoot for 11:1 compression, get a custom cam and use the TF heads with a Strip Dominator. You'll need a QUALITY 750 sized carb (something with a 1.4ish Venturi and NOT made by Holley...even a ProForm is a better bargain than Holley) so you can tune it and a good ignition.

What you want is doable. I'd think twice about the hydraulic roller.

I'd shoot for 11:1 compression, get a custom cam and use the TF heads with a Strip Dominator. You'll need a QUALITY 750 sized carb (something with a 1.4ish Venturi and NOT made by Holley...even a ProForm is a better bargain than Holley) so you can tune it and a good ignition.

OOTB Tf's? I personally think 575 is a stretch but you have seen them and would know. Anyhoo, this will turn into an interesting thread....

JW

OOTB Tf's? I personally think 575 is a stretch but you have seen them and would know. Anyhoo, this will turn into an interesting thread....

JW

If he gets a plan and sticks with it, the 550 number is reasonable. That extra 25 HP to get to 575 will take a bigger header and carb.

We have a few stroker 360s built local recently with promaxx CNC shocker heads one was around 525hp on the dyno with a 600 lift cam... the promaxx heads are a lot less money here than the trick flows.

Could I ask where the pro max shocker heads are a lot less money than the trick flows. I’m seeing pro max shocker 195’s at $2086 and trick flows at $2250.

A 10% off summit coupon comes in handy because with the TrickFlow heads you will need their 200.00 heads studs too.

Could I ask where the pro max shocker heads are a lot less money than the trick flows. I’m seeing pro max shocker 195’s at $2086 and trick flows at $2250.
Here in Winnipeg one of the local machine shops is the Canadian distributor for the promaxx heads and they generally a good bit cheaper than trick flows. They have done Mopar builds with both manufacturers heads this winter in both big and small block..although they have yet to do a small block with trick flows

What are the cam specs?

Heads.... by the species flow numbers, if - IF you take advantage of the flow capabilities, the Trick Flow heads will make more power. So if you have a high lift cam looking to take advantage of the air flow in search of a lot of power, then that your head.

If - IF your cam is lifting the valve only as high as where the two heads flow numbers start to seriously diverge, then the Pro Maxx heads are for you.

The Pro Maxx heads are a good deal for most of us street runners.

Please help me out, i have a 410 ci LA 360, so i need standard oiling thru the heads, also i already have a set of 1 3/4" LA port headers. I would like to get between between 550 575hp, with some streetability with a hyd roller. It appears the Trick flow heads are best by miles, ive been reading up on the promaxx and speedmasters ?? are the equal? Any real world hands on information.

The best bang for the buck . You cannot have your heads done for less.. Summit has deals you have to watch for them. Take the heads apart blow them out and clean them though.

20171028_133300.jpg

20171124_211312.jpg

20171028_132837.jpg

20171028_133005.jpg

20171104_160834.jpg

Build the motor to have the driving characteristics you’re after, with the exterior components complimenting the rest of the parts in the car(gears, headers, converter, etc), and don’t get too hung up on the HP number.

A 500hp build in a good combo will outrun a 550hp build in a bad combo.

If you still decide to go after that 550+ hp number, you may want to rethink the hyd roller.

I’d also recommend reviewing your budget, and see if it’s in line with what it takes to build a 550+hp SB Mopar stroker.

If I were building it for myself I’d use Ede heads...... because the head work is free.
For someone who has to pay to have heads done, it’s hard to argue with the TF’s.

I’m pretty surprised there haven’t yet been any dyno results posted from a fairly rowdy “hot street” or bracket build using the TF heads.

Last edited:
Build the motor to have the driving characteristics you’re after, with the exterior components complimenting the rest of the parts in the car(gears, headers, converter, etc), and don’t get too hung up on the HP number.

A 500hp build in a good combo will outrun a 550hp build in a bad combo.

Oh this is SOOOOO bang dead on balls crackin accurate.

Also you're not getting away with those stock 273 rockers on trick flows...
A little more explanation would help here as to why.

I honestly don’t know. I haven’t kept up. I won’t be going there. (At least it is HIGHLY doubtful.) Ether way, just a drive by posting saying they won’t work isn’t a huge help. Since they are pictured and probably assumed good for use by the poster, did the poster assume this? Or was it read otherwise? OR was he told it is OK? Did he see them in use?

The only thing I know is that Summit advertises the Trick Flow heads with the use of Harland Sharp rockers designed for the head. So.... does this mean other rockers can not be used?

A- I never said anything about any rockers.

B- the pics with the rockers show a set of RPM heads..... and afaik, the stock rockers will fit on those.

A- I never said anything about any rockers.

B- the pics with the rockers show a set of RPM heads..... and afaik, the stock rockers will fit on those.

I wasn’t for you, it was for @j par

Yes, RPM heads, why did I write TF heads? IDK
Thanks for the correction

You didn’t make it too easy to follow along(for me anyway).

You quoted my post..... then add the “why”.

No mention of who or what you’re asking “why” about...... but it’s in a post where you’re quoting my post.

Your right, my bad.
You didn’t make it too easy to follow along(for me anyway).

You quoted my post..... then add the “why”.

No mention of who or what you’re asking “why” about...... but it’s in a post where you’re quoting my post.

I doubt the OP is investing for a roller cam and going to use iron rockers.
Iron rockers can be made to work, but why ? LOL
There is nothing offset on the Trick flow 190, standard.

If I was trying to exploit the capabilities of the TF heads, I’d be using lifters without any hyd plunger in them.
If the Comp Ultra Pro magnum rockers fit(and I think they will)...... that’s what I’d use.

-
Back