Aftermarket Fuel Tank

-

AircoolerKirk

Reaction score
Got the car running off a gas can this weekend, tank is full of 20+ year old gas and who knows what. Used to, I could find someone to boil out the tank (radiator shop) but that has all gone by the wayside. I see that new tanks are sub $100, so I am thinking its worth it to me just to replace the tank. My only concern is, in the VW world, most aftermarket tanks fit like crap and require modification. I dont want to do that, so I was wondering how well built the aftermarket tanks are.

Thoughts?

OxBCKwX.jpg

I bought one on ebay for around 85.00 for my 74 Duster and it fit perfect.

I know there were some sending unit retainer ring issues with some of the aftermarket tanks. verify the ring is the same as your old ring. some are not thick enough. had to improvise on mine as the new ring was not as tall and didn't put any pressure on the gasket. ended up making a thicker gasket to fix it.

I bought everything I needed from Spectra Premium. They're made in North America and fit like they should. You can buy them anywhere from O'reilly's to Summit Racing.

Fuel Tank - Spectra Premium

I agree. I bought a tank, strap, fuel neck grommet, pad and sending unit all from them. Save the locking ring from your original sending unit. That's the only part I had trouble with. They are stamped out of thinner metal and don't seal worth a damn.

-
Back