aftermarket shifter automatic

-

caw440

Reaction score
Does anyone know what if any aftermarket automatic shifters will fit with a factory console, I have a factory shifter to use but I don't have all the linkage. I think with a cable shifter it would be easier. By the way this in a 69 Dart. Thanks in advance for the help.

I installed a B&M Quicksilver under my stock console on my 68 Cuda. I would think others will fit also.

BTW: due to the location and configuration of the stock shifter I had to cut off all the stock brackets and make shims because the shifter hole is off center of the tunnel. Also had to make a new baseplate to bolt the new shifter too and a custom top plate as the top plate that came with the shifter was too wide to fit the console. It was much more time consuming than I thought but in the end it was worth it, IMO.

If you do it and have headers on the car be careful of the cable routing. I thought I had mine clear enough but it toasted the brand new cable in less than 15 minutes. I ordered a 6' cable (it only came with a 5' cable) so I could route it differently. No problems since.

Here's a pic

Does anyone know what if any aftermarket automatic shifters will fit with a factory console, I have a factory shifter to use but I don't have all the linkage. I think with a cable shifter it would be easier. By the way this in a 69 Dart. Thanks in advance for the help.

What are looking for a ratchet shift style or just a different design? The link below is for a company that makes a setup to turn your stock console into a slap-stick shifter or atleast thats what they claim. They also have some cool handles to go replace the stock setup.

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/2.html

What are looking for a ratchet shift style or just a different design? The link below is for a company that makes a setup to turn your stock console into a slap-stick shifter or atleast thats what they claim. They also have some cool handles to go replace the stock setup.

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/2.html

THANKS I'm gonna have to look this over. I was actually thinking of trying to convert mine myself.

I installed a B&M Quicksilver under my stock console on my 68 Cuda. I would think others will fit also.

BTW: due to the location and configuration of the stock shifter I had to cut off all the stock brackets and make shims because the shifter hole is off center of the tunnel. Also had to make a new baseplate to bolt the new shifter too and a custom top plate as the top plate that came with the shifter was too wide to fit the console. It was much more time consuming than I thought but in the end it was worth it, IMO.

If you do it and have headers on the car be careful of the cable routing. I thought I had mine clear enough but it toasted the brand new cable in less than 15 minutes. I ordered a 6' cable (it only came with a 5' cable) so I could route it differently. No problems since.

Here's a pic

hey fish i had the same problem on my slant with frying the cable so i bought some of that heat shield tubing stuff... never a problem again and didn't even re-route it...

I had one of those Duncan motorsports slap stick conversions on my stock shifter at first. I hated it. Always had problems getting it into low when I needed and had to remember the goofy sequence of how to shift it and do it exactly right to make it ratchet. I got frustrated with it and put in the B&M. Just sayin.

805, I found the heat shield stuff too when looking for a new cable and put it on for extra protection. No problem since. The big problem I had was with these stinking Hooker headers, I just couldn't find a way to route the 4' shifter cable they sent so it was far enough away from one pipe or another. I had well over an inch clearance with the 4' cable but apparently that wasn't enough cause it didn't take 15 minutes to fry it. With the 5' cable I found a much better route that gave me plenty of clearance.

I had one of those Duncan motorsports slap stick conversions on my stock shifter at first. I hated it. Always had problems getting it into low when I needed and had to remember the goofy sequence of how to shift it and do it exactly right to make it ratchet. I got frustrated with it and put in the B&M. Just sayin.

805, I found the heat shield stuff too when looking for a new cable and put it on for extra protection. No problem since. The big problem I had was with these stinking Hooker headers, I just couldn't find a way to route the 4' shifter cable they sent so it was far enough away from one pipe or another. I had well over an inch clearance with the 4' cable but apparently that wasn't enough cause it didn't take 15 minutes to fry it. With the 5' cable I found a much better route that gave me plenty of clearance.

so true!

-
Back