aftermarket shifter cable

-

Rockatansky

Reaction score
probably been asked about before, but i'm intending to switch my shifter off the column to the floor, and i'm curious about the different aftermarket shifters people are using.

honestly i really don't like the modern look of most shifters at all, but obviously options are sort of limited.

i'm pretty sure i want a winters shifter, mostly because they still do hold some historical and period value if you're doing a 60s/70s car.

i was wondering if anyone has any pics of what the cable setup looks like going into a 904 tranny

IMG_0647.JPG
I have a Hurst Pro-Matic 2 and was able to get it under a console.
The car is apart and I don't have a picture of it installed.
At the transmission there is a cable bracket that bolts to 2 of the pan bolts, then it just moves the lever forward and back.

thats a nice looking lever and shift knob too. i really dont like the looks of modern T handles in most cases.

if you're going with a performance or even race looking interior they're fine. not trying to put down anyones ride!

but i like the idea of keeping everything looking sort of like it could have been done in the late 60s, which means no curvy looking chrome b&m hammer shifter or anything.

what Roger said
the big problem with 99% of the shifters out there is they have the cable exiting the front of the unit, forcing it into the headers
(where cables melt and once that happens the internal cable will do as it pleases which will not be what you want it to be)

that winters unit, is the 1% that exits out the back

well i didnt even think of the cable direction, but that is something to think about. one more plus for the winters i suppose.

that is a nice shifter he has, but it's a reverse pattern

-
Back