Aftermarket slant six head

-
I know this is an ancient thread, but I was wondering where you ever went with this? My interim engine is almost complete so I'm starting to plan my slant.

I know this is an ancient thread, but I was wondering where you ever went with this? My interim engine is almost complete so I'm starting to plan my slant.

no i havn't... last yer i didn't get my business off the ground so im slow and going on most everything... though someone just had a head machined out of billet on another thread...

There are other ways. All it took on Leo's engine was to buy a set of AFR SBC heads, cut them, weld them together, re-machine all gasketed surfaces, have custom head gaskets made, fill the deck of the block (pinned), transfer the new bolt pattern and coolant passages, then redrill everything. Then deck, assemble, etc. Then to the backup engine. However he does run low 9s on methanol and a single turbo with it.

There are other ways. All it took on Leo's engine was to buy a set of AFR SBC heads, cut them, weld them together, re-machine all gasketed surfaces, have custom head gaskets made, fill the deck of the block (pinned), transfer the new bolt pattern and coolant passages, then redrill everything. Then deck, assemble, etc. Then to the backup engine. However he does run low 9s on methanol and a single turbo with it.

Is all this in reference to a /6?

The reason I ask is, stock bore on a slant 6 is 3.40".... will go 3.5", but that's a long way from the 4" SBC 4" bore.

What did he do with that .5" overlap (assuming ot WAS on a /6, and that IS what this thread is about.)

Just curious...:blob:

no i havn't... last yer i didn't get my business off the ground so im slow and going on most everything... though someone just had a head machined out of billet on another thread...

I saw that over at .org. While that took an incredible amount of skill, planning and work, for the rest of us it's just an oddity unless you have the equipment to do it yourself.

I'd like to build a slant for my car, but I'm at a loss for the head. I don't see how to get enough airflow (without boost) without going to a Hemi head or more than two valves per cylinder. Both of which would be neat and exotic, but would be a lot of work for the possible returns. This is why I posted in this thread and am hopeful you're up to something good.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but as Bill points out I don't imagine you're talking about a slant here.

I guess nobody else is gonna say it so I'll just say "here we go again."

I gotta say, that's the biggest problem in the slant world. Everything's been done and no one could possibly have a new idea.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but as Bill points out I don't imagine you're talking about a slant here.

No, I wasn't. But, if the bore spacing and basic dimensions are close anything can be made to work. That was my point. Even a set of V six heads from something. There was mention of a Jag head... A 4 valve OHC head would be wicked cool.

No, I wasn't. But, if the bore spacing and basic dimensions are close anything can be made to work. That was my point. Even a set of V six heads from something. There was mention of a Jag head... A 4 valve OHC head would be wicked cool.

its all about the bore spacing... i think the ford and even chevy 6 have the same bore spacing as the small blocks in there family... not so much for the slant....

Wonder what some of our Aussie breatheran have done- hemi head w/HUGE turbo(s), MPI, running CNG, all kinds of stuff...

What about something like the 3.8L fords? Aluminum heads, small chambers, easy to weld, and the bore spacing is tighter (new engines are built more compact). I know they run 2.2 pistons in them... What about the 2.2L heads? Or later 2.0/2.4 with DOHC possibilities? I dont have the interest or time to really research it, but the bore spacing is where it starts. Then you reverse engineer the rest of it. Any head can be cut and welded.

There is a head from Argentina in Arkansas now.

I think there was even pics of a 24 valve OHC one from the land of the Gauchos.

There is one slant running alcohol on boost out of Georgia. He is in the 9's.

yea frank has the arg head... big valve/big ports... like a 1.8 intake valve if i rememebr...

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1251.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 242
I wish there was more info,and better pictures of it. I do know that those Argentina racers were spinning 7 or 8k with those heads,but have never seen and tangible data on head flow for them.

-
Back