Aftermarket Wiring

-
Why don't you PM him..he has entered this convo and stated why he is the best.

I call this the theory / reality gap..from what he says ..he said he has never had one come back before except when the dumb owners thought his kit was like original.

I start running backwards when I hear that "I am the first customer that has complained of that..." Right...and I have some great Florida marsh farmland for sale..

Grassy

Most likely most if Not all aftermarket kits won't have detailed directions for heaters and crap like that. But to get nasty with you about what your asking is unacceptable.

Update on Ron Francis wiring. Well I finally finished wiring my car and I have to say the directions in the RF kit were pretty straight forward. I did call the Techinical Support hot line a couple of times and the person I spoke with was very knowledgeable. Usually the call went to voicemail but somebody called back withink a half hour. RF and I did not start off on the right foot but I will have to say I was very pleased with their product and the Techinical Support.

This was my first wiring job and I believe I passed the test! At least everything is working right now.

Here are tips that may be useful to anybody rewiring a car.

1. Mopar Ignition Switch and Turn Signal - The terminals used for these two items are called Molex terminals and can be purchased through Terminal Supply (http://terminalsupplyco.com/Default.aspx).

2. Ratchet Crimper - I purchased a this ratchet crimper through Amazon.com and it was a life saver. It comes with 5 dies and is also sold at Sears for about $40 more. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-18920-Ratcheting-Terminal/dp/B0002STTTI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1282664195&sr=8-2-fkmr1"]Amazon.com: S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ae53xPZhL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ae53xPZhL[/ame]

3. Terminals - I removed all of the insulation on the terminals utilizing a plastic retractable razor blade heated with a propane torch. I crimped the terminal utilizing the Non-Insulated ratchet crimper die. I could see I had a nice crimp then I just used some shrink tubing and a heat gun.

4. Take your time!

Hopefully these tips will help. Finding the Terminal Supply company took me a long time as most places will not sell Molex terminal indiviually. I didn't have a need for 5,000 terminals!

George, Nothing yet! I still need to figure out the Wiper, Heat and reverse lights.

I will probably just splice in the factory harness for each item. It shouldn't be too hard. Right?

I have a two prong harness for my reverse lights (4-speed). I would imagine I just need power to the switch and run wires to the reverse lights from the switch.

The wiper and heater should be similar as both are just two speeds and I would imagine all I need to do is get power to the switch and it should work.

At least that is how I mapped it out in my simple mind!

Steve
what did you do for a switch for the wipers

regards
George

Reverse lights are cake. Power into the switch and power out to your lights. Fused ofcourse and key power source.

Wipers are cake too. Just rebuild the stock connectors and use the stock switch. Not much to it really. I can look at my drawings but there is only one fused key power to the switch. The rest the switch takes care of. Just look where it's all hooked up now and duplicate it with all new wire and rebuilt connectors. My AAW fuse box has a set space for the wipers.

Heater I'm sure is the same. Power to the switch and from there ya just wire it like it was. The heater is the only thing I didn't put back in my car because I plan on goi g with a street rod type of heat/ac set up

Thanks Joe. I didn't think it would to be to difficult. I've got a lot more confidence in my wiring skills now that I have completly rewired my car (with the above exceptions).

I'm glad I did it myself. I can solder and crimp pretty well now. I put it off as long as I could and when I finally got started it was kind of fun!

I hear ya. It's nice knowing what every wire does in your car and knowing where they are isn't it. O ce ya do it you realize that it really isn't that hard. Really time consuming though. Lol. Like ya said put good crimps on, solider what ya need to solider heat shrink everything and grease every connection ya can and it will turn out very nice.

Steve
I got the car running and I was so anxious to start driving around I did not wire up the wipers yet. I was undecided as to use the original switch or purchase a new one.
The reverse lights.
I took power from the fuse panel, and ran it through the neutral safety switch on the trans. So 12 volts goes into the switch on pin 1 then when it goes into reverse 12 volts out on pin 3 back to the reverse lights.
I bought the bright bulbs from Ron Francis they are really nice and bright. Also I ran a ground wire from the ground distribution block to the back for all the lights.
And I put dielectric grease on all the bulbs.

My car has no heater assembly

regards
George

Update on Ron Francis wiring. Well I finally finished wiring my car and I have to say the directions in the RF kit were pretty straight forward. I did call the Techinical Support hot line a couple of times and the person I spoke with was very knowledgeable. Usually the call went to voicemail but somebody called back withink a half hour. RF and I did not start off on the right foot but I will have to say I was very pleased with their product and the Techinical Support.

This was my first wiring job and I believe I passed the test! At least everything is working right now.

Here are tips that may be useful to anybody rewiring a car.

1. Mopar Ignition Switch and Turn Signal - The terminals used for these two items are called Molex terminals and can be purchased through Terminal Supply (http://terminalsupplyco.com/Default.aspx).

2. Ratchet Crimper - I purchased a this ratchet crimper through Amazon.com and it was a life saver. It comes with 5 dies and is also sold at Sears for about $40 more. Amazon.com: S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece: Home Improvement

3. Terminals - I removed all of the insulation on the terminals utilizing a plastic retractable razor blade heated with a propane torch. I crimped the terminal utilizing the Non-Insulated ratchet crimper die. I could see I had a nice crimp then I just used some shrink tubing and a heat gun.

4. Take your time!

Hopefully these tips will help. Finding the Terminal Supply company took me a long time as most places will not sell Molex terminal indiviually. I didn't have a need for 5,000 terminals!

that crimper looks liek it fits just about everything.. do the directions say what insert is for what kind of terminal?

Joe, what you see in the picture is what you get! The only directions are on the inside of the case as shown. If you go through Amazon and enlarge the picture you can kind of make out which die is used for each type of terminal.

I can take a picture of my case and see if it is more legible if you like.

Joe, what you see in the picture is what you get! The only directions are on the inside of the case as shown. If you go through Amazon and enlarge the picture you can kind of make out which die is used for each type of terminal.

did you get headliner bows yet???

no need for pic... i was thinking about ordering it and just wanted to know if it told ya what die was what..

What if I want to replace my main wiring harness this winter but I have no idea what most are saying when you say "get power from here" "put it there" I say "wtf":read2: Do I then pay yearly one $525 for the exact replacement harness? Help

depends what you want from it.. if you want 40 year old technology that is at its limit pretty much from the get go. or do ya want a modern fuse box that you can expand to run a/c,electric fuel pumps, electric fans, upgraded radios etc..etc..etc...

basically with the aftermarket harnesses, the good ones any way it will be pretty straight forward for most of the system.. the things you will need to figure out is your turn signal switch, ign switch , charging system and ign system. none of it is very hard at all if you look at your wire diagrams

What if I want to replace my main wiring harness this winter but I have no idea what most are saying when you say "get power from here" "put it there" I say "wtf":read2: Do I then pay yearly one $525 for the exact replacement harness? Help

Looks like this thread came back from the dead! Also see you have another thread going on this subject.

First off, go back to page 1 and look at the comments from Mr. Ron Francis. I'm not the biggest fan of his product, but kudos to the man for showing up and explaining his product. It's important to note he makes no claim that his product is a reproduction piece. Same holds true for all the generic wiring kits. If you can buy an exact fit kit for $525 and install it yourself with no experience, I'd say go for it. The $200 to $300 you will save by buying the generic kit will maybe pay for 1/4 of the labour bill you will get if you must farm out the work. I noticed Ron Francis also offers a kit directed to Mopar, presumably this will eliminate the GM themed organization of the generic kits?

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AC-68

BTW, list price of this kit is $529 and I'd guess it still requires fabrication. Also appears to eliminate the troublesome firewall connector. Year one wants $550 for the dash harness alone. Engine harness will set you back another $200 and the taillight harness another $150. Might be more harnesses required if you have accessories like A/C.

I just wanted you to be aware that we also offer the more popular Mopar wiring in the EXPRESS format. Again an aftermarket harness which is best when you plan upgrades to a better alternator, no firewall plug to burn and room for accessories or far better fuses. The stock reporduction harness is best used when you plan no modifications and limited use. Personally I think the modifications make the vehcile more driveable and thus worth more. Our Crosslinked printed wire makes it pretty easy to install. http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-68

How often can you email and get a reply?

Thnaks
Ron Francis
Ron Francis Wiring

How often can you email and get a reply?

Thnaks
Ron Francis
Ron Francis Wiring

Thank you Ron,

Mr Francis has been very responsive to an inquiry I made to him. I'm becoming a better fan! Customer service is top notch.

-
Back