Ah, but I love the (car) hunt

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't read IF too long. Move along!!
It started back in the 80s' and it was fun. Cheap good old used and abused Mopars everywhere. Us old guys were there. Chevy and Ford guys didn't want them. Cars everywhere, all needs work, and dirt cheap. You found cars thru your buds and friends of buds. Some time sitting beside the road, or out in the back pasture of Uncle Ned's buddy's farm. No internet. Ads in Mopar Collectors Guide, Hemmings, newpapers. Forget the stupid Car Trader mag.
Fast toward to today. CL and FB Marketplace. BJ tells all the wanna bees what cars are worth, both restored and rotten in the dirt projects!
Best place to find projects is still thru good friend and friend that they trust. Or the honest peeps on places like FABO, FBBO, and some real enthusiasts site on yes even FB.
BUT, the hunt is fun so there ya are trying to buy something off ads on CL or FB Marketplace sometimes.
So now... you have to determine if the seller is honest or just some guy that will say or do anything to get that POS car out of his yard. They can't talk on the phone, everything is text? OK so younger guys like the text deal.
Then what is so hard about taking good pics, after all the seller is an 8 hour drive. Video of car running, yep you can tell it run. Does he have any info on compression, history, anything? If he does, he ain't saying. It is a project!
He gave $4000 and ain't gonna lose any money. Maybe he overpaid for his POS and wants YOU to do the same!? lol
It ain't the destination but the journey!!???:rofl::lol::realcrazy:

If you're ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. It's also nice to see alot of these Mopars brought to one place, for example, Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA. Thousands of cars, millions of car parts.
You can find most Mopars in various stages of restoration.
Bring cash, and a trailer, then make a deal.

If you're ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. It's also nice to see alot of these Mopars brought to one place, for example, Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle, PA. Thousands of cars, millions of car parts.
You can find most Mopars in various stages of restoration.
Do ya know how far it is to Carlisle, Pa. from Shepherd, Tx!?????? :poke:

OP , I think you are correct. It still is going to be best deals when you know who the Mopar guys re in your area. That's the way I started out. A guy in high school was into big blocks, I stuck with small blocks. he'd always call with small block parts,:hey do you want a 318?".."do you want an intake and 4 barrel off a 360?" things like that and sometimes he'd give it for free or gas money to deliver it etc. it wasn't a money racket like now. And Carlisle..? I am an hour away haven't been there in years...I dunno ,it got too big, and one year there was a guy selling Kelsey -hayes disc setup that was worse junk than what I had on my car and my stuff was bad, rust pitted etc. carlisle is good if yui have a good eye for deals, one of th elast things I bough t there was a carpet set.10% off...I did meet Dick Landy there one year...good times.

LOL! Had a good one this past year- my buddy got a good deal on an out of town dually; we made the trip to go pick it up, got there, and did all the usual inspections and haggling. My buddy starts peeling off Benjamins to pay the guy, who has this horrified look on his face- he didn't want to take cash! He wanted a bank check- thought that much cash had to be drug money or something. After going back and forth for a while, the guy's wife/girlfriend comes out of the house, listens for a minute and tells the guy "Are you effen CRAZY??" He still wouldn't budge, ended up going to the guy's bank and he had them check the money to make sure it was real... Geez, some people... Kinda takes the fun out of it, but leaves you with a good story.

LOL! Had a good one this past year- my buddy got a good deal on an out of town dually; we made the trip to go pick it up, got there, and did all the usual inspections and haggling. My buddy starts peeling off Benjamins to pay the guy, who has this horrified look on his face- he didn't want to take cash! He wanted a bank check- thought that much cash had to be drug money or something. After going back and forth for a while, the guy's wife/girlfriend comes out of the house, listens for a minute and tells the guy "Are you effen CRAZY??" He still wouldn't budge, ended up going to the guy's bank and he had them check the money to make sure it was real... Geez, some people... Kinda takes the fun out of it, but leaves you with a good story.
People are morons...:)

Some of it is in the art of the deal.
Nothing speaks louder than peeling off hundred dollar bills and placing them in piles of 1 thousand $ each on the hood.
It can be very tempting to the seller.
I easily saved 7gran off an asking price.
The question is when do you stop?
Set your limit.
And you can't show a bigger wad of cash back in your pocket.

I lived a couple of blocks from the corner gas station in the big city, Milwaukee. They posted counterfeit bills taped to the bullet proof glass that they took in and some of them were damn hard to tell from real money. I don’t blame the guy.
When I go to look at a car I take cash, Benjamin’s. I set a limit of what I want to spend, put it in my pocket and the rest goes in my shoe. If I have to spend more than pocketed money, I tell them I have to go to the bank for the balance. If the guy wants to go to his bank with the cash after we have struck a deal, I have no problem with that.

Back in the 60s running across our home state of Ga., we kept our $ in our boot just in case we got caught speeding. Speeding back them was something over 100.

I can deal, I just don't want to make that 8 hour trip and spend $100 or so in diesel, without honest info from the seller!!
I won't go look at any car unless the guy gives me his number, we talk and I ask good questions. But I hate sounding like a DA!!

I lived a couple of blocks from the corner gas station in the big city, Milwaukee. They posted counterfeit bills taped to the bullet proof glass that they took in and some of them were damn hard to tell from real money. I don’t blame the guy.
When I go to look at a car I take cash, Benjamin’s. I set a limit of what I want to spend, put it in my pocket and the rest goes in my shoe. If I have to spend more than pocketed money, I tell them I have to go to the bank for the balance. If the guy wants to go to his bank with the cash after we have struck a deal, I have no problem with that.
You can get a counterfeit marking pen from any Staples.
I've fanned out money that I thought was suspect and just swiped a mark across them.
It's easy enough to see the ink color change.
I got burned once, in Dallas. Sold Cowboy tickets to a few guys in the parking lot, he re sold them to someone else, but I got 3 large counterfeit bills. Didnt know they were counterfeit until I got a call from the car service I paid to go back home from the airport. The guy said " you gave me funny money" with a Russian accent. I went back and paid with a credit card then turned the counterfeit into the bank and got a big thank you.
Lesson learned.
https://www.staples.com/Staples-Cou...iD-IGwFyNCdapw4BR-oknLHqCyQmhwDxoC7xYQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Most of the cars that I have bought over the years was word of mouth or cruising the alleys....
Oh the good old days!

Most of the cars that I have bought over the years was word of mouth or cruising the alleys....
Oh the good old days!
Yeah, my wife is constantly complaining about my head being on a swivel whenever we're driving- "You spend more time looking in people's backyards than you do watching the road!!". What can I say? When she's right, she's right...

Ah the hunt. Yhis AM I stumbled across an ad here (just a 9 hr trip) for a 50 Ply. business coupe. Vids are supposed to be coming! Yes they are a strange looking Mopar 2 seater! Yes a project. I can't won't pay for a good one IF I could find such!

The business coupes had a long trunk, I think you could sleep in it if you were a traveling businessman. I did brakework on a 49 once as a young mechanic..

The business coupes had a long trunk, I think you could sleep in it if you were a traveling businessman. I did brakework on a 49 once as a young mechanic..
True. Long trunk no back seat. Plenty of room for salesmans goods. They just speak "hotrod" to me!!
I saw one getting off the highway near here a few years ago, it was obvious a built street rod. You seldom see any Mopar hotrods as such. Cool dude!
Still waiting on his vid! We will see.

-
Back