Air compressors

-

lowbudget

Mopar Man
Reaction score
Whats everyone running for an air compressor (horsepower CFM)? I have a 10 hp Gardner Denver 100 gallon but it is 3 phase while my power is only 1 phase. I'm leaning towards a Champion (Gardner Denver) or a Quincy 5 hp from TP tools. I'm not worried about tank size as I have an extra 60 gallon tank I can plumb it into. It will be used for sand/soda blasting.
Thanks Mike

My brother bought a used 10HP 3phase Quincy, and swapped out the motor for a (I think) 7.5 HP single Baldor, and a chinese contactor/pressure switch. I think he's got about $300 in the swap (and another $300 in the initial purchase), and it's a damn good setup. I think he also had to buy a new pulley, but found one for under $50.

I've got a 7.5 HP 32 CFM Bel-Air two-stage single phase.
I love it and it does what I need. However, I come real close to taxing it if I'm blasting a large panel. I'd say the duty cycle is about 20-30 miin constant use and about a 5 min recharge.

That 10hp/3 phase is an animal. Gardner-Denver is a great industrial brand. I have sold a lot of 5/80 Quincy's and they are a great compressor. Too bad you can't find a 7.5 hp single phase motor to swap. toolman

I've seen 3 phase power supply created with what they call a Delta Y. I dont know what it costs to do.
I think if I already owned a good Gardner Denver pump I would be hunting a motor for it.

10 hp is a big *** motor on single phase. You might be able to use a smaller motor pulley and slow it down. I would CERTAINLY look hard for a single phase motor before I tried a phase converter.

Depending on where you live, and how much money you have, THERE IS a chance you already have 3ph distribution in your neighborhood, it would just be the matter of cost to get it to your shop.

Can only imagine what Avista, one of the local power companies would charge for 3 phase. We recently installed a separate service on the garage. For any electrical usage they charge roughly 45% more than what they do for the "primary meter" on the house. Luckily the garage has a 400 amp service, when we build the house we are just going to take the power off of that so we will be back to 1 meter.....

5HP is not enough for blasting, it will get it done, but will work all the time. Better off to buy a 7.5HP motor for the comp you have.

To build the phase converter was going to cost my brother more than a new single phase motor.
Then you have workmanship :))) and potential reliability issues.
He also priced having 3 phase installed, and it was $2000 up front.

X2 on trying to find just the motor but if not take a look at Eaton Compressor.com. They make really good compressors in Ohio. I have two and may be buying another soon.

Just took a very quick look at Graingers. Not necessarily the best buy, but looks like around a grand US dollars for a 7 1/2 single phase

IMHO i think the compressor would end up burning up a 7.5 hp motor as it is a brute. I've been keeping an eye out for a 10 hp horizontal gas engine for it. I was just going to grab a 5 hp to get me by. I am planning to hook up an extra 60 gallon tank I have for volume as that's how we did it when I had my motorcycle shop. When the compressor kicks on take a break and build volume. I've been watching for used ones in Salt Lake but haven't found a reasonable used one yet. I do know one thing whatever I buy will have servicable/lapable valves and not reed valves.

Thanks Mike

A co worker of mine used a cheap drive to power a car lift going from 110v to 480v. Seems to me like you could do the same for 110 to 220.

My sitting back watching the want ads paid off. I just picked up a used Champion 5 HP Heavy Duty for 750.00. It was the same compressor I was leaning towards buying new for 2099.00. I will continue to look for a motor to run the 10 hp beast but this will get me by. The guy had it sold but the buyer was a no show. Now I'm at work so I bought it sight unseen but looking at the pictures it was well taken care of. I sent the guy 1/2 and will give him the other 1/2 on pick up. I've bought a lot of stuff this way and haven't got screwed yet but then I have a lot of faith in people also.

The thing that should drive air compressor selection is the cfm required for the "hungriest" tool. HP, power, and tank size should be selected to support the required cfm without having the motor run constantly. Try this site to configure your need
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ck-The-Perfect-Contractor-Air-Compressor.html

If your home has electric central heat, hot water, or electric clothes drier, it may already be wired with 3-phase power. If it is, connecting a 3-phase compressor is fairly simple. Some time ago, I put in the conduit and plug box, pulled the wire, then had the electrician put in circuit breakers and connect the wire to the panel. That saved us a few bucks.

The thing that is driving my air compressor selection is money lol. This is only temporary until I get my 10 HP sorted out. With the extra 60 gallon tank it will handle anything I need to do.

I live in the sticks and only have single phase. I've already wired my garage with 230 through a 30 amp circuit breaker that I run my welder off of. I will probably add a separate circuit for the air compressor.

I've got almost the same compressor only it's the Craftsman Professional. It's ok but it wouldn't handle any blasting, not that I tried. I've had it for years as a fill in compressor. I told my friend I would be selling it and he offered me 300.00. So that almost pays for 1/2 of my new toy. Here's a picture of my new toy from the ad. This is not my garage. I can't wait to get home and go pick it up. I'll be sand/soda blasting this days off.

Attachments

• air comp 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 303
-
Back