Air in power steering system !!!!!! ? 71' Scamp

-

Dustu

Dustu
Reaction score
71' Scamp ----I finally got the very minor p.s. leak stopped {return hose valve on top}and had that 2 parts off and on several times . Now it has air in the system and turns the wheel to the left when started and jacked up . Should be easy to turn steering lock to lock several times to clear it out ,everyone says ,not happening ,3days off and on messing with it turn steering lock to lock many times .tried bleeding the line. .tried centering the wheel and opened the valve top to purge .Done every thing except drain the whole system and start over ? It not as forceful turning by itself but still does. Should have left alone I am thinking .

Air can get aerated into to oil, takes a while to get it cleared.

Aldo self turning maty not be from air in the lines. One of the steering gear valves might be leaking or partially stuck open

DO NOT PUT YOUR ARM THRU THE STEERING WHEEL TO START ENGINE, SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT .
Front wheels off the ground .
Engine running, with the top fitting bolts slightly loose, gently tap the top fitting either towards the front, or back, ( this is the adjustment) until correct, the steering wheel will stay straight ahead when placed there . Tighten fitting.
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a coupla times, then shut it off and leave it so the air you whipped into the system can separate, overnight would be ideal.
Check/fill fluid level before restart, then turn once lock to lock, should be good to go.
Good luck,

AND DO NOT REV the engine. Turn it once or twice, shut it off, let it set. Air in the system gets "foamed up" and takes time to work out in the pump. Let it sit for 15 min or more, cycle the wheel again, SLOW.

12F5D985-2315-41FB-BD68-B70DA20EC792.jpeg

The bleeding procedure that just came with a Saginaw style pump I bought.

You'd never make flat rate, fairly large deduct for that poor sucker.

In this case it's a used, charged system, in for a box adjust and fluid fill, not a new empty system/pump ?

Last edited:
You'd never make flat rate, fairly large deduct for that poor sucker.

In this case it's a used, charged system, in for a box adjust and fluid fill, not a new empty system/pump
Right, used and working fine, just a very minor leak . Quick fix before going to a show a week ago . no box adjust ,fluid wasn't even low .I've worked on these boxes before and never had any problems like this , i have saw were people have had this problem [air]with the steering wheel turning itself though. LOL! I have a new Borgsen unit to install this winter ,just not right now .

-
Back