air shocks....to do or not to do

-
You have 2 kinds of people in this world.

People that do things correctly.
People that hack stuff together and just don't care..

...and you have people who just can't change their minds , even after its been proven to them.

You have Holley people...you have Carter people...you have Mopar people, and you have Chevy people. See, both can be right, at the same time.

..and you have restoration people and you have modified people...you have original color people and change the color people...GET MY DRIFT YET???? "to each his own", and let it go.

There are no shocks other than air shocks that will add to the ride height. If you're looking to raise the car, air shocks and different leaf springs are your two choices.

You CAN use air shocks. It's not gonna kill the car. You just need to know that's not the most correct way, plus you don't want to blow them slam up. But the thing is, for the money you'll spend on new air shocks, you could add a little more and get new springs. Just food for thought.

see i dont really wanna jack up the rear end and if i do ill change the springs just know that the ones are in it are completely trash so i need something...trying to get this thing street legal by next month

THIS is my old 70 440-6 RR which is CONSIDERABLY heavier than an A. Because it was a sixpack, it had the heaviest "trak pack" suspension Ma supplied, and a Dana 3.54. Nevertheless, sometimes I carried "stuff" in the trunk, and did some trailer towing. (Towed a 70 'Cuda on a trailer and all my possessions from San Diego to N. Idaho.

That car had over 140K on it when I sold it, and had air shocks on it for at least 100K. They usually had 40--60 psi in 'em, and were replaced once in all that time. So far as I can tell, there was NO damage to the shock mounts.

Ye...I know, terrible photo. Old slide film, about 1974

81sruds.jpg

I'm confused. If you don't want to raise it, why are you asking about air shocks?

Given the choice between the two, I would use the air shocks. At least with the air shocks, you have control over how much resistance they give. With that coil over junk you don't.

Any type of shock other than a standard, heavy duty hydraulic shock (NOT gas charged) will impede the correct operation of the rear suspension. Air shocks will all but stop the rear axle planting the tires. So, if you want a lot of tire spin, put air shocks on it. Regardless of whether you have 50 PSI or 150 PSI in them, they will still stop the rear suspension from working correctly.

I'd like to see the analysis that supports that. I doubt it is true. The use of air shocks increases the arch of the rear springs, more or less the same as would result from a weight reduction in the rear of the car. That doesn't mean the MOPAR rear suspension is impeded. The starting point may be somewhat different, but the spring rate remains roughly constant.

I drag raced my '65 Barracuda (last time 10 years ago) with 002/003 SS springs, Gabriel air shocks, shock extensions and ran a 60' of 1.46, 10.80 ET, 127 mph with a 4-speed car. I don't see where air shocks subtracted from any of those numbers.

I'd like to see the analysis that supports that. I doubt it is true. The use of air shocks increases the arch of the rear springs, more or less the same as would result from a weight reduction in the rear of the car. That doesn't mean the MOPAR rear suspension is impeded. The starting point may be somewhat different, but the spring rate remains roughly constant.

I drag raced my '65 Barracuda (last time 10 years ago) with 002/003 SS springs, Gabriel air shocks, shock extensions and ran a 60' of 1.46, 10.80 ET, 127 mph with a 4-speed car. I don't see where air shocks subtracted from any of those numbers.

It's called The Mopar Performance Suspension Manual.

It's called The Mopar Performance Suspension Manual.

I've read it (numerous editions) and understand the workings of a MOPAR rear suspension. I just don't recall any note regarding use of air shocks. It's been some time since I studied it however. Maybe you can provide a quote, year/chapter/page no. of the publication you refer to.

Its not even implied. Once you understand how the suspension works, it is painfully obvious air shocks were not made to be used with the Mopar rear suspension. They are really incorrect for most any leaf spring suspension.

Why and what is obvious?

I've explained it once already. I'm not doing it again. If you don't understand then I guess you are beyond my help.

The fact that you are gonna be trying to push against the axles natural twist with air shocks. Think about it.

Seems to me air shocks are putting downward force rear of the axle housing since that's where they are mounted, thereby assisting the axle housing's natural twist.

I understand there are differing opinions on this and RustyRatRod doesn't want to discuss. I'll just say I don't believe air shocks impede planting of tires. That's what I believe and I've heard nothing here that challenges that.

I've already discussed it. My explanation has been posted. Like it or not. Believe it or not. I don't have any more to add.

Some just don't get it , It takes common sense and some mechanical engineering knowledge to understand why air shocks or any load levelers hinder the traction. So every one should use air shocks. And put the highest pressure in that you paid for. Also add the shock extension you will get 2" more of lift.

This will also increase shop work for me . We do metal welding and frame repair.

Although I see nothing wrong with load levelers/air shocks if properly used. They can also cause damage . Seen it first hand on many.

Because ! If he wants to state facts he has the right to. Why does anyone post? And if no one would post what would you read? And if there was nothing for you to read how would you give 2 cents which has nothing to do with the post at hand.

Well I am going to have to go punch my wife in the face again. I am going to stop coming to this site for a while . She is really starting to show the beatings. When ever you guys aggravate me I take it out on her and the little kids I have. Ages 3 , 5 and 7 All girls.

I'll add my two cents. I've ran them on various Mopars for over 40 years and never broke a shock mount or did metal damage. Since the shock mount is behind the axle on the lower mount could only add to the planting of the rear tires when the pinion tries to rise on the launch. Thou this was seldom the reason I used them. Weather they are "good" or "bad" to use? Is simply a matter of opinion.

My Demon had air shocks on it when I bought it. I never had an inclination to put air shocks on any of my mopars but I like them on the Demon. I only put in about 30-50lbs and it raises it an inch or two. I get what has been said about affecting the suspension but I think it is fine as long as you don't try to jack it up 6 inches. If you have rust issues on the mounts I would think you might have a structure failure with or without air shocks.

-
Back