AIRBNB squatter

-
Squatting has become a large problem recently, but they've been doing it for years. About ten years ago a good friend kicked his son out (drug problems), so the son does a change of address and moves into Mom and Dad's rent house. Because he had a bogus rental agreement with forged signatures on it the cops could do nothing. They told him it was a civil matter and he had to take his son to civil court. It drug on for over a year costing my friend 1,000's of dollars. When the courts FINALLY put the kid on the street, the house was a total wreck on the inside that Mom and Dad had to fix to make the place livable again. They spent even more money to fix what the kid and his friends damaged. Unfortunately the kid over dosed before they could get him clean and sober.

That's one reason law enforcement exists.

I have friends who own a vacation home in Florida they also list as a vacation rental through listing sites such as VRBO and AirBnB. They will do a rent contract for more than 29 days due to most states having "30 day squatters rights" laws on the books. If someone rents for more than 30 days it takes months or even years to evict!

I have friends who own a vacation home in Florida they also list as a vacation rental through listing sites such as VRBO and AirBnB. They will do a rent contract for more than 29 days due to most states having "30 day squatters rights" laws on the books. If someone rents for more than 30 days it takes months or even years to evict!
"Squatters rights" How about home owners rights!

California always giving the poor and worthless more rights.
It ain't just California... On a different but related angle I was working in North Carolina recently and was surprised to find the Hilton I was staying at was housing "Homeless"..... Hardly "Homeless" they are living better that an awful lots of people who work hard to provide a roof over their families heads...

I wound up in the lobby after midnight & one of the "Homeless" was at the desk negotiating a "Departure Settlement" ????WTF??????? Apparently He'd only been at the Hilton for about ten days.. Prior to that he'd been at a Holiday Inn in the next town & they had paid him $5000 to leave...And now the Hilton was only offering him $2000 & he was "suggesting" the $5000 settlement and a clean room would be cheaper than having to repair his room after he departed....

How have we gotten to this point?

It ain't just California... On a different but related angle I was working in North Carolina recently and was surprised to find the Hilton I was staying at was housing "Homeless"..... Hardly "Homeless" they are living better that an awful lots of people who work hard to provide a roof over their families heads...

I wound up in the lobby after midnight & one of the "Homeless" was at the desk negotiating a "Departure Settlement" ????WTF??????? Apparently He'd only been at the Hilton for about ten days.. Prior to that he'd been at a Holiday Inn in the next town & they had paid him $5000 to leave...And now the Hilton was only offering him $2000 & he was "suggesting" the $5000 settlement and a clean room would be cheaper than having to repair his room after he departed....

How have we gotten to this point?
Frickin unbelievable!

unfortunately the laws put in place to protect those that need it most are exploited by others that clearly don't need those safeguards.

a friend of mine had a problem with squatters (parents has a house in AZ, seldom used and he's in CA) and when he found out that basically he had to evict them and all that rigamarole he just "put the house on the market" and quit the utilities. the problem sorted itself out, or, self corrected as they say.

That's what throw down guns are for.

The worse ones are those that break in, change the locks while you’re at your loved ones funeral and then proceed to be protected by the law for over a year , while stealing and robbing everything your loved one had and selling it. Then being given free reign for 6 months by the court to other buildings that they hadn’t yet broken into…

The worse ones are those that break in, change the locks while you’re at your loved ones funeral and then proceed to be protected by the law for over a year , while stealing and robbing everything your loved one had and selling it. Then being given free reign for 6 months by the court to other buildings that they hadn’t yet broken into…
man, i would dedicate my life to giving those people flat tires forever.

you only shared a little bit of that story previously, i'd love to hear the whole sordid tale.

man, i would dedicate my life to giving those people flat tires forever.

you only shared a little bit of that story previously, i'd love to hear the whole sordid tale.
It’s one for the law books let me tell ya. Both lawyers and the judge all agreed at the end it was nuts.
The Covid government eviction ban played a portion in that as well. Which never should have applied to squatters.

Karma will bite those SOBs eventually.

I've told this story before, I had a rental home, squatters moved in, stopped paying rent, I went the legal way, judgement and all, very long story short.
My wife and I were watching TV one night, story of dude going over to his rental, busted the doors and windows out, squatters left. . .I looked at my wife, she looked at me, knows me, and said NO ! ! as I grabbed my 9 iron and headed out the door, took out ALL the windows, they were single glazed and needed replacement anyway.
Squatters were gone next day .

Last edited:
That's what you went through not that long ago if memory serves. How did it work out in the end?

That's what you went through not that long ago if memory serves. How did it work out in the end?
14 months of court, to get them out, plus 3 months of a civil lawsuit brought by them that they lost. A bit over 100,000 dollars lost by theft and attorney fees alone, plus probably 75-85k in damages to the property. Plus 12,000 in unnecessary utilities we had to pay.

They had to pay back nada, nothing, zero.

14 months of court, to get them out, plus 3 months of a civil lawsuit brought by them that they lost. A bit over 100,000 dollars lost by theft and attorney fees alone, plus probably 75-85k in damages to the property. Plus 12,000 in unnecessary utilities we had to pay.

They had to pay back nada, nothing, zero.
Wow, that's some bullshit. $200k out of pocket and the scumbags walk away, nice.

Wow, that's some bullshit. $200k out of pocket and the scumbags walk away, nice.
In the short term yes, but they lost on getting us to pay their lawyer fees, which were nearing 80k by that point. They’d deliberately hired a lawyer from 4.5 hours away, who charged from the time he left his office to drive to the court house , plus court room time plus time back. So they took a hit too. That was just for the eviction case.

It since they were family too, there is future earnings and inheritance that they gave up as well.

But as far as the court hits, we sadly had to absorb them.

Burn the house down, blame squatter, collect insurance, jail squatter, move out of Los Angeles, strike that, move out of the communist state Komiforna, carry on, enjoy life and the first & second amendment a lot!

Good night Gracy!

-
Back