alignment trouble

-

boydman

Reaction score
left the allignment shop with my 66 after watching the guy put the settings rite on the money, got home and was checking it out when i noticed the front tires were toed way out, so drove back to the shop and put it back on the rack and reset everything,drove home and still the same thing only not as bad this time. all parts have bin changed a while back but theres not many miles on them,they looked tight when he inspected them. anybody else have this problem? whats going on?

One probability is that the "K" member has cracked welds at the LCA piviot. You won't know unless you pull the control arms out. It's a sorta common thing on high mileage cars.

Good luck, hope it's something else.

One of your alignment cams could be stripped & slipping also. A good tech should catch that though.....

Are you saying that something is wrong with your alignment by eye or because of another reason?

post the specs that were on the printout from the alignment shop. It would be nice if you had before and after specs for both alignments.

i did replace the k member a few months ago,when i cleaned and painted it i didn,t see anything wrong,the cams don,t seem to be slipping.i did convert to disc on the front with early 70,s duster spindles but using original bottom ball joints, don,t see where that would be an issue, i did read where you should put more + caster when using radials, any other ideas would be great,thanks

Have a close look at the k member for cracks.
If it was a dramatic change in the alignment as you stated, the cracks should be very obvious by now.
Another thing to look at is if the steering box is loose. (Very loose)
Check the idler arm for the same thing as well.

All three settings (toe, caster and camber) will change based on the ride height, so that's why it's important to set that first. A shop unfamiliar with Mopars might not check that. But toe-out bad enough to see with the naked eye is pretty extreme, and suggests something is broken.

How about the strut rod bushings? Are they installed correctly?

The type of alignment machine doesn't really matter. It's the tech that's important..........

I'm still wondering whether your alignment issue is by "eye" or because of a drivabilty problem?

Unfortunately, if you want to find a good alignment guy, your best bet is probably the graveyard. That's slim pickin's right there.

i think my ride hight may be to high , how can i adjust to factory specs and what are they?

well couldn,t find factory ride hight specs so i put it where it looked ok, about an inch and a quarter lower and went back to the shop, took our time inspecting it for anything loose or cracked and re alligned it again, looks like its holding but i think there is a problem. has anyone had issues with the top of the fender support,shock tower,unibody or what ever flexing inward? reason is the camber adjustmant is all the wat outand barely in specs, i,m thinking of building a strut to go all the way across the top to keep them open. any ideas? some older mopar guys are telling me to take it to the frame shop.

Had my car aligned a last summer. Put brand new tires all around, adjusted where I wanted the ride height to be. Took to alignment shop. Fast forward 100 miles and front tires are to the cords on the outsides and tires are leaning out at the top. Took back to the shop they say they don't know where they went wrong. They said to bring it back and theywill replace the tires and re-align it. I told them to just replace the tires and I'll take it to a shop that does older mopars and have it done right! They replaced the tires but I haven't taken it to have it re-aligned yet, but have talked to many locals and have found where to take it.

-
Back