All About dashes

-

Kevo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering a few things, and I have a request also. I was wondering if it is possible to modify the dash so you could take it out without having to remove the windshield. If anyone can give information on this, im sure it would help a lot of people out. I also would like anyone who is willing to, to post some pictures of their dash from their car. I am looking at doing a custom dash, and need some inspiration.

Thanks everyone!

Hello! I am not quite there yet, but I plan to somehow make the dash frame connect in such a way windshield removal is unnecessary. Maybe Ross 76orangewagon or John johnparts have done this already?

Somewhere (might not have been here, might have) I saw a thread on this very thing. Basically, it involves redoing the screws so they will go in from below. I believe the poster even ground/ cut off the screws in such a way that he didn't have to remove the WS to remove it.

I admit, this is somewhat appealing.

You could move the j-nuts from the cowl to the dash frame and then install the screws from below. The windshield gasket has a flap that covers the screw heads. You'd want to be sure to use screws that are short enough not to push up the flap once installed from below.

Attachments

• DashFrame.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 362
You could also just notch out the sheet metal in the dash to windshield bolt hole to a 'U' so its a slide on deal instead of a remove the windshield deal.

Somewhere (might not have been here, might have) I saw a thread on this very thing. Basically, it involves redoing the screws so they will go in from below. I believe the poster even ground/ cut off the screws in such a way that he didn't have to remove the WS to remove it.

I admit, this is somewhat appealing.
It was on here a while ago. I believe the thread also covered getting it the first time with the windshield still in the car as well....I think it might have been Russ, 74burntorange (?).....

You could also just notch out the sheet metal in the dash to windshield bolt hole to a 'U' so its a slide on deal instead of a remove the windshield deal.

Will the dash stay in tight this way? Or would i still install the bolts from the bottom?

If you want to pull the dash out without removing the windshield you need to grind the bottoms of the bolts and the "J" nuts off like so:View attachment 100_0276.jpg
After you grind all 5 bolts and most of the bottom of the "J" nuts off you need to push whats left of the bolts up through the dash and fish them out from under the windshield gasket, if not they will still hold the dash in place.
Then find everything else that holds the dash in place and remove it. The bolts down by the kick panels( loosen these but don't remove them), the parking brake, steering column, hvac cables and ducts, wiring, etc...

Then when it comes time to re install dash frame into the car you get some small "J" nuts that are meant for sheet metal screws and clip them to the dash frame instead of the cowl. Slide the dash onto the bolts down by the kick panels to hold the weight of the dash, then pivot the dash into place and screw it into place from the bottom like so:
View attachment 100_1275.jpg
The screws need to be short (about 3/8" long) or they will push up the windshield gasket

View attachment 100_1281.jpg
And yes my windshield gasket leaks a little :(

I found the threaded neck on the stock U nuts no taller than the bolts hex head. i needed to grind just a tad off the bolts to reinstall them upside down.
Today I wish I hadn't done this. There is no way of getting to those bolts again without taking nearly everything out from under the dash. Will I someday find one of those bolts rolling around in the floor ? I hope not.

I found the threaded neck on the stock U nuts no taller than the bolts hex head. i needed to grind just a tad off the bolts to reinstall them upside down.
Today I wish I hadn't done this. There is no way of getting to those bolts again without taking nearly everything out from under the dash. Will I someday find one of those bolts rolling around in the floor ? I hope not.

Thanks for the thorough post daliant.

Redfish, so it is a tradeoff of sorts? I need to pull the windshield and have it resealed again. Wondering if there is a good way to set it up with the bolts from the bottom when the glass is out?

That's what I did I had the glass out along with the dash and everything else. I put it back together with those bolts in from bottom up. To take the dash back out now would require removing eveything again except the windshield.

i would put the bolts in from the bottom and then use these to finish it off.... but thats just me.........

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 267
Will the dash stay in tight this way? Or would i still install the bolts from the bottom?

Of course it would stay in tight, presuming you tightened the bolts it has the same connection it had before, install the bolts normally. This way, all you have to do is loosen the bolts a little bit, and out it comes. The other suggestions are great too.

There are no lock washers so vibration can loosen the bolts and gravity backs them out.
No room for a nut or anything more than the U nut under the gasket. The offset stamped in the metal is about 1/4 inch at best.

There are no lock washers so vibration can loosen the bolts and gravity backs them out.
No room for a nut or anything more than the U nut under the gasket. The offset stamped in the metal is about 1/4 inch at best.

This is true, on top of mine being firmly seated still after 40 years, you could add lock washers. I'm not trying to up sell the idea, it's an option that keeps you from being on your back fiddling with nuts. Somewhere no guy deserves to be.

-
Back