All cylinders filling with water

-
good idea but it sounds like h has the manifold off and one of the cylinder heads, what is this a 318, 340, 360?? what all have you done to it?? machine work that is

1972 360 .30 over
KB 191 @ 12 to 1
J heads 2.02 / 1.60
Zero decked
Ported, Polished all that good stuff
Gasket matched
273 Rockers 1.5
Comp XE285 HL (going to probably end up needing more cam)
Mopar M1 manifold
Holley 750
2 inch carb plate
Hooker 5204 headers
Mopar ECU and Distributor
Summit wires
Autolite AR51 plugs
Mopar mechanical fuel pump (Going to get the Carter Strip Super Series)

You said nuts? Are you running head studs?

Maybe the nut is bottoming out at the end of the threads of the studs when you're torquing them before the gasket is fully compressed and head seated??
Are the studs screwed in all the way?? Just a thought I had.

did you by chance just have harden'd valve seats installed in your heads? It's possible they machined to deep into the head and in to the water jacket. if so, water will be pulled into the cylinder right around the seats......I had a machine shop ruin a set of heads on me, because they did this and did not tell me. They ended up replacing my heads!
I just spoke to the guy that did the machine work. He stated that he did not install hardened valve seats.

Maybe the nut is bottoming out at the end of the threads of the studs when you're torquing them before the gasket is fully compressed and head seated??
Yes, I am using studs. When we put everything back together I will triple check that this is not happening.

Well then I'm thinking it has to be a problem in the head clamping area. Studs not screwed in far enough, not enough thread to run the nut down maybe. Did you use the washers under the nuts?

I just spoke to the guy that did the machine work. He stated that he did not install hardened valve seats.
if your gonna be running race gas and with 12:1 I think you will have too then the hardened seats wont be necessary as I have been told you need those for unleaded gas, race gas still has lead I do believe..

if your gonna be running race gas and with 12:1 I think you will have too then the hardened seats wont be necessary as I have been told you need those for unleaded gas, race gas still has lead I do believe..
The same the he told me about compression and 110 fuel.

so far this makes the most sense to me smart people on here, you will have to post up a video when you get this thing rockin

Not sure of the diff between regular LA studs and Edelbrock studs but maybe they sent you the studs for the Edelbrock??
I think the Edel ones would be taller due to a thicker deck casting. I'm just guessing and throwing it out there. I'm sure someone else knows more about that than I do...hopefully they'll chime in.

Im not a tech by no means, but Im thinking Waggs is on to something with intake cracked??

I was thinking intake as well, only because "This morning I went out and started the motor. It ran great for about 90 seconds then started to miss."
Would it have ran great if the head gaskets failed the night before? I too am no mechanical wizard.
Another thing I wondered about was if there was "clean" water drained out on top of the milky oil.

Cracked intake "cooling" overnight...somewhat sealing up..then fired up in the morning...heats up expands and more wa wa

I just went out and looked at the intake. It is a Mopar M1. I do agree it could be cracked, but it only uses the front water passages. The rear ones are blocked off. Not sure how all cylinders could get filled with water.

I understand the thoughts some of you have, but this has to be a major sealing issue. With water in all eight and the crankcase, that pretty much rules out a crack anywhere. If a head or intake was busted that bad, it would be in pieces during disassembly. Either there's a stud issue or the machining is totally off in my opinion.

oh i hate to here that when im this far behind and trying to just go slow no hurry
that would be my luck i like tony:s idea if i ever see it wow on a new motor

Just some quick thoughts. With the block being zero decked, is it possible the alignment dowels, if installed, are to tall to properly go into holes on head maybe bottoming out and not allowing the head and gasket to clamp up?

Just some quick thoughts. With the block being zero decked, is it possible the alignment dowels, if installed, are to tall to properly go into holes on head maybe bottoming out and not allowing the head and gasket to clamp up?

This is a really good shot at the issue!

Take the head gasket and measure thickness right next to the dowel locations and compare to what it should be compressed or if you know what the unmolested thickness was. I've seen a set of ede heads where this occurred and the heads ended up cracked badly.

If you have the heads off, set it back on the block, sans gasket and see if you can slide a feeler gauge between head and deck. The head should sit on the deck, no clearance.

Water in all 8 likely isn't a cracked intake. That sounds like a head gasket sealing issue.

head gaskets..cause it is in the cylinder and in the oil..

thinking cyl head dowelstoo. realy only rational explanation

Take the head gasket and measure thickness right next to the dowel locations and compare to what it should be compressed or if you know what the unmolested thickness was. I've seen a set of ede heads where this occurred and the heads ended up cracked badly.

If you have the heads off, set it back on the block, sans gasket and see if you can slide a feeler gauge between head and deck. The head should sit on the deck, no clearance.

Water in all 8 likely isn't a cracked intake. That sounds like a head gasket sealing issue.

x3

I agree, & make sure like others have said, that your studs are the right length & are clamping enough. It has to be an assembly/ fit issue. Go back & make sure everything fits as intended.

I agree, & make sure like others have said, that your studs are the right length & are clamping enough. It has to be an assembly/ fit issue. Go back & make sure everything fits as intended.
I will start with checking with no gaskets this morning. I will post the results after we do it.

I bought a 68 Mustang Fastback 302 back in about 1973 when I was stationed in Germany. Motor just had the heads done but the owner couldn't get it to start. Went through it one Saturday morning, got it fire up, and took it down the street for a test drive. Looked in the mirror a little while later and had a steam cloud coming out of both exhaust pipes like you wouldn't believe. Pulled it back in the yard and found the same thing as you - water in all 8 bores. While checking everything over REAL careful, I noticed the tabs on the corners of the head gaskets sticking out by the exhaust manifolds?? Pulled the heads, turned the head gaskets over so the tabs were up by the intake where they belonged, torqued the heads back down, and went racing with it the next weekend. Couple of oil and filter changes in that time frame cleaned it right up.

-
Back