Almost started...not getting fuel

-

wgillespie

Reaction score
Nearly had my 66 Barracuda started yesterday. the issue is, its not getting fuel. I have ordered a replacement fuel pump, i hope that's the only issue. I may look for a hidden kill switch, as alot of old cars had them installed

A kill switch would be electrical and not fuel dilivery related.
Have you tried attaching a hose from fuel pump in to a fuel can ?
Supply line from your tank may be the problem.

After sitting for a year I had crud built up in my carter fuel pump so it wasn't pumping. Pulled it and cleaned out the inside and it works like a charm.

I noticed a piece of black foam inside and thought WTH. After taking apart an extra Carter pump I found out the piece of foam belongs in there.

Does the car have gas in the tank? May sound stupid but my friend kept telling me his Charger wouldnt start. I told him to check the lines, etc but he was hard headed so he loaded it up and brought it to my house.

The pump was pumping fine when I ran a hose to the can. I took the line loose at the rear and blew through it. No clogs.

So I pulled the sending unit. I had it almost all the way out before I saw a little bit of dampness. I put it back together, poured 5 gallons of gas in it and fired it off.

He had several other small things like timing that was off, vacuum leaks,etc that I fixed but within 2 hours of me starting on it, the car ran like a top.

I called him and told him 9 out of 10 Dodge cars run better with GAS in them. He said,"That car had gas. I put a gallon in it." A gallon? I told him that wouldnt be sufficient for a beast. LOL

Start at the pump and work your way back.

My Valiant had been sitting for years when I bought it. It started at first but then wasnt getting gas. The front to rear fuel line was completely clogged.

If a car has been sitting even just 3/4 of a year I always disconnect the fuel supply to the pump and run a rubber gas line to a fresh gallon gas jug so I don't put trash and water/gunk in the Carburetor... If gas don't flow out of the steal supply line then it's out of gas or the line is gunk'ed up.

If a car has been sitting even just 3/4 of a year I always disconnect the fuel supply to the pump and run a rubber gas line to a fresh gallon gas jug so I don't put trash and water/gunk in the Carburetor... If gas don't flow out of the steal supply line then it's out of gas or the line is gunk'ed up.

YUP

and..........you have electric or manual pump?

Inspect the rubber connector hose back at the tank, if its a few years old replace it.

Disconnect the line before the pump, if you don't have a rear mount electric, and blow back through the line. Best to remove the fuel cap, and don't get too rough with air pressure

You have a solvent gun? The kind where airflow develops vacuum to suck up solvent, otherwise know as an aspirator?

Hook the solvent pickup tube to the line unhooked from the carb and suck away

Also did you have the engine apart? Do you know how to set "static timing" so you don't have to argue with timing?

And before you get TOO deep, crank it a little with the coil wire held near the block, make SURE you have a good hot spark.

X3. Fill the carb float bowl with gas manually (primer can) and then try to start it. That will tell you if it's a fuel problem or not.

I had a similar problem with a manual fuel pump and it was sucking backwards and not towards the carburetor... to fix it I just 'primed' it by using a pump and sucking gas into the pump. After that it started pumping in the right direction and it started up.

-
Back