Almost time for the machinist!

-
Yes about .010" thinner than the 8553PT.

Bore is 4.06".... very possibly a problem for a 4.03" bore. The bore holes don't always register perfectly centered in the gasket bores so that is too tight IMHO. But looks better for a 318 or 273 and their smaller bores. Tnx for the link.

Yes about .010" thinner than the 8553PT.

Bore is 4.06".... very possibly a problem for a 4.03" bore. The bore holes don't always register perfectly centered in the gasket bores so that is too tight IMHO. But looks better for a 318 or 273 and their smaller bores. Tnx for the link.
What is the bore of the 8335s? I haven't never paid attention

Maybe McCord their HP solid core gaskets (stainless cores for Marine) were good
and Victor Marine
or the Mr Gasket
on the pre clean- then you can grind and remove any casting flash b4 going to the machine shop- run a brush through all the gallies, drill out and round corners where necessary- etc

What is the bore of the 8335s? I haven't never paid attention
4.18". Same for the 1008's.
When you buy Cometics, you can get them in quite a few bore sizes, in .025" or .030" increments, IIRC. But the Felpro's are standardized for the worst case bore sizes and registration errors, I imagine.

I'm gonna stick with what I have. I can achieve my goal with the 8335s why spend more than I have too.

Its been a year. But the time has finally come. I got my pistons in the mail today. I got everything loaded up and taking it to the machinist tomorrow. Im very excited. I cant wait to get it back and start putting it together. I will post pictures in a minute

Pictures

20200422_202846.jpg

20200422_202222.jpg

20200422_195418.jpg

20200422_202851.jpg

20200422_195429.jpg

20200422_195425.jpg

20200422_201645.jpg

20200422_195432.jpg

20200422_201652.jpg

Just got home from the machine shop. I had alot of fun besides one part I will get to that. He looked everything over said I did a really good job with my port work. One old timer said somebody's been cutting on them I said that was me. He said well you did good I like how you left those intakes rough most people want to shine then like a mirror and that that ain't worth a ****! Haha they showed me the cleaning process and the how they do everything. He did recommend i do a valve job he said the seats looked rough and they wouldn't seal good so I'm going back tomorrow to give him my valves. We talked about cam break in and went into great detail about degreeing the cam. This guy is a cam wizard let me tell you. They have a setup that degrees the cam electronically they have a tool that goes in where the distributor would and then a proxy that reads the crank and the piston and everything is done in a computer. Its pretty cool so much more accurate than a wheel. He had the print off from the one he was working on and it gave every single read out at different opening starting at .001 he explained all the duration numbers and all that alot better than I could ever comprehend from a book. Now to the scary / funny part. He was explaining the cam separation in relation to the crank and I got really hot I took my jacket off and all of a sudden I got really dizzy and lightheaded and he said are you ok man you are really pale I said idk I just got hot all a sudden let me go out to the car and get a water next thing I know they was picking me up out of the floor I passed slap out. Idk what happened iv never done that before. Iv never had sugar or blood pressure issues. I'm wondering if I didn't stand locked knees to long I've heard of that before. He was showing me numbers on a cam card and they got really blurry I couldnt are them anymore then I dont remember anything until they got me up. It was kinds embarrassing I was so excited to be learning about all this stuff then I passed out lol they was cool about it tho i most definitely learned alot from them I'd love to go up there on my days off and work I bet I could really learn alot.

Just got home from the machine shop. I had alot of fun besides one part I will get to that. He looked everything over said I did a really good job with my port work. One old timer said somebody's been cutting on them I said that was me. He said well you did good I like how you left those intakes rough most people want to shine then like a mirror and that that ain't worth a ****! Haha they showed me the cleaning process and the how they do everything. He did recommend i do a valve job he said the seats looked rough and they wouldn't seal good so I'm going back tomorrow to give him my valves. We talked about cam break in and went into great detail about degreeing the cam. This guy is a cam wizard let me tell you. They have a setup that degrees the cam electronically they have a tool that goes in where the distributor would and then a proxy that reads the crank and the piston and everything is done in a computer. Its pretty cool so much more accurate than a wheel. He had the print off from the one he was working on and it gave every single read out at different opening starting at .001 he explained all the duration numbers and all that alot better than I could ever comprehend from a book. Now to the scary / funny part. He was explaining the cam separation in relation to the crank and I got really hot I took my jacket off and all of a sudden I got really dizzy and lightheaded and he said are you ok man you are really pale I said idk I just got hot all a sudden let me go out to the car and get a water next thing I know they was picking me up out of the floor I passed slap out. Idk what happened iv never done that before. Iv never had sugar or blood pressure issues. I'm wondering if I didn't stand locked knees to long I've heard of that before. He was showing me numbers on a cam card and they got really blurry I couldnt are them anymore then I dont remember anything until they got me up. It was kinds embarrassing I was so excited to be learning about all this stuff then I passed out lol they was cool about it tho i most definitely learned alot from them I'd love to go up there on my days off and work I bet I could really learn alot.

Go get looked at. If you are diabetic or something else happened do not just blow it off.

Go get looked at. If you are diabetic or something else happened do not just blow it off.
Yea im going to make an appointment. I had blood work done back in 2018 i was healthy as a horse. But for sure gonna have it done again

Yea im going to make an appointment. I had blood work done back in 2018 i was healthy as a horse. But for sure gonna have it done again
Sounds like you got hold of some bad beef sausages. Lol
Didn't think I was paying attention, did ya?

Sounds like you got hold of some bad beef sausages. Lol
Didn't think I was paying attention, did ya?
Haha could have been. I did some research on it and I think it was from standing in one place too long. I was reading that If you stand in one place with your knees locked it can cut of circulation to your head. Its common in the military. Once I sat down (rather got picked up and set down) i was fine almost instantly it was very weird. It was a scary feeling. Now it's just more embarrassing than anything I bet those guys think I'm a wimp haha pass out while talking engines thats crazy who ever heard of such lol

Haha could have been. I did some research on it and I think it was from standing in one place too long. I was reading that If you stand in one place with your knees locked it can cut of circulation to your head. Its common in the military. Once I sat down (rather got picked up and set down) i was fine almost instantly it was very weird. It was a scary feeling. Now it's just more embarrassing than anything I bet those guys think I'm a wimp haha pass out while talking engines thats crazy who ever heard of such lol
Absolutely happens. Seen it more than once in the Navy. Don't blow it off though, get yourself checked. You ain't a spring chicken any more.

Absolutely happens. Seen it more than once in the Navy. Don't blow it off though, get yourself checked. You ain't a spring chicken any more.
Yea I'm going to. I have had dizzy spells before but not like this I went down fast I went to take a step and bam I was out. Iv been hit pretty hard before and never blacked out like that.

The good news is I got my junk at the shop it wont be much longer now till this thing is running! I'm so excited. I have a lot of work to do before it gets done. Let's hope I can get it done before then.

Very exciting stuff!
While I'm thinking about it let me ask you this, did you sleep at all last night? Did you eat anything this morning before you left for town? That could have something to do with it.

Very exciting stuff!
While I'm thinking about it let me ask you this, did you sleep at all last night? Did you eat anything this morning before you left for town? That could have something to do with it.
I didnt sleep much. I went to bed but couldn't sleep I finally feel asleep around 630 and got up at 930. I made eggs for breakfast and had a bottle of water with my breakfast at about 10 and went out and worked on the car till about 1240 and left the house at 1245. I had a mountain dew on my way there. I had my episode around 3 I believe. I was gonna leave right after but the boss told me to stay a while and hang out to make sure I was ok to drive. I stayed there till about 430 got home around 5 and have been fine since it happened

I didnt sleep much. I went to bed but couldn't sleep I finally feel asleep around 630 and got up at 930. I made eggs for breakfast and had a bottle of water with my breakfast at about 10 and went out and worked on the car till about 1240 and left the house at 1245. I had a mountain dew on my way there. I had my episode around 3 I believe. I was gonna leave right after but the boss told me to stay a while and hang out to make sure I was ok to drive. I stayed there till about 430 got home around 5 and have been fine since it happened
Uh huh. Take it easy and get some sleep. I am, lol. Nite nite.

I'd like to rag on you and just say 'Yer just gettin' old.... welcome to the club.'

3 hours of sleep miiiight have had something to do with it.. Did you have lunch?

-
Back