Almost time for the machinist!

-
I'd like to rag on you and just say 'Yer just gettin' old.... welcome to the club.'

3 hours of sleep miiiight have had something to do with it..
Man I went to bed early last night and guess what still only 3 hours of sleep. I dont understand what is wrong with me and why I cant sleep iv been doing this for months now I'm tired I lay down a sleep for 2-3 hours i wake up wide awake and cannot go back to sleep. Its probably 15 years of swing shift but its getting old. Lol

If for months, then time to see the doc.
Yea I making an appointment. It started my last day shift rotation I work 4 weeks of days and 4 weeks of nights this is my first week of days so it's been going on for at least 8 weeks. I will go 6-8 days of cant sleep but 2 or 3 hours then I will sleep for 18-20 hours straight. I took two weeks off at the beginning of April and my first day off I slept for 22 hours straight. Then for 11 days I was sleeping 3 or 4 hours tops then last week I did the same thing I worked my 4 days sleeping 3 or 4 hours my first day off I slept for 16 hours then my last three days off I couldnt sleep but 2 or 3 hours at s time. I know what it sounds like but no I'm not on meth! Haha

I think alot of it is I'm severely OCD and I cant stop thinking about stuff. Iv made a lot of progress on my car in the last couple months and I can finally see the end and my mind just want shutdown. I will literally fall asleep thinking of something, dreams about what I'm thinking of and it will wake me up still thinking about it.

I think alot of it is I'm severely OCD and I cant stop thinking about stuff. Iv made a lot of progress on my car in the last couple months and I can finally see the end and my mind just want shutdown. I will literally fall asleep thinking of something, dreams about what I'm thinking of and it will wake me up still thinking about it.

Like you, I can’t turn my mind off to sleep. It helps me to turn a radio on or sometimes (like last night) I put my ear buds in and put my iPad on auto play and select an artist and just let it play all night. I slept good last night.

Something to maybe try. BTW, I started with Dio and Black Sabbath and woke up at Lock Up The wolves.

YMMV

Like you, I can’t turn my mind off to sleep. It helps me to turn a radio on or sometimes (like last night) I put my ear buds in and put my iPad on auto play and select an artist and just let it play all night. I slept good last night.

Something to maybe try. BTW, I started with Dio and Black Sabbath and woke up at Lock Up The wolves.

YMMV
That's funny you said that! That's exactly how I escape!!

I stopped by the machinist today on my way home from work today to drop of my valves so he can do the valve job. The heads are done other that the valve job. They look so perrty! They milled them .030 and cleaned them my port job really shines now. He complimented me on my port job said I did an excellent job for that to be my first pair. And gave me some pointers for next time. He said there is 3 or 4 blocks in front of mine and he should have them done by the end of next week so I'm guess maybe 2 week I should have it back. Alot faster than I anticipated. I gotta lot of work to do before then. I'm afraid I'm gonna have a gap of time between getting it back and having the car ready. So I'm gonna be a ole redneck and roll that sucker in my spare bedroom haha. I dont have anywhere inside to keep it and I dont want to let the bores get rusty by keeping it outside unassembled. I'm getting really excited tho this engine has been 17 years in the making. For those that followed my build thread knows this engine was the long term plan I was planning on putting in a 318 and then building the 360 when I got more money. But the 318 didn't work out so I just went straight to the end game. I pulled this engine in the summer of 2003 with the intention of putting it in this same dart. Back then I was still driving the dart and it had the original slant six. And I just never had the funds to do it. It's crazy almost 20 years later here in am so close to having it finished. No wonder I can't sleep haha

Yes
When i get a block back from the machinist, the only time it come out of the bag is to work on it.........then usually get washed with soap and water, cyl bores main jurnialas......any bare metal get WD-40.

If its going to be apart for a long time i cut up a bunch of cardboard and throw in the bag to sock up any moisture left behind.

You can't clean your block to many time.

upload_2020-4-24_20-22-5.png

Last edited:
I don't know why i can't remove that front end alignment spec's but it just won't go away sorry

Maybe a add man can get it remove. Don't even know why it pop in my message
Edit delete it and.....it still there........

WD40 is a light oil with a lot of solvent in it. It is not recommended for a preservative oil. I use CRC sp-350. LPS also has a good products. Or, just put some NEW oil on a rag or paint brush and have at it. I like the garbage bag idea.

I don't know why i can't remove that front end alignment spec's but it just won't go away sorry

Maybe a add man can get it remove. Don't even know why it pop in my message
Edit delete it and.....it still there........
It's all good haha.

WD40 is a light oil with a lot of solvent in it. It is not recommended for a preservative oil. I use CRC sp-350. LPS also has a good products. Or, just put some NEW oil on a rag or paint brush and have at it. I like the garbage bag idea.
Thanks I like the motor oil idea just wipe it down with a paint brush really good. It would be nice to have them coated with that blue rubber coating they put tools and blades in. It's like a soft material it just peels off when your ready. We have our knives at work coating with them I have no idea the process behind it tho

Agree more of a water dispersant for when you wash you block to keep the moisture away!

Thanks I like the motor oil idea just wipe it down with a paint brush really good. It would be nice to have them coated with that blue rubber coating they put tools and blades in. It's like a soft material it just peels off when your ready. We have our knives at work coating with them I have no idea the process behind it tho

Last thing you want hiding in some crevice of you block to be chewed up by your pump and possibly plug of a port down the road.
If you're going to store it for a long time, like my 340 block i took out for a stroked 360 block. you put lots of Grease on every shiny place in the block, then turn it upside down and fill with cardboard........Then seal with a large garbage bag. Then a blanket over that too help from the bag getting punched.

In a climate control building or house it will take longer but it will still rust just the same.

Agree more of a water dispersant for when you wash you block to keep the moisture away!

Last thing you want hiding in some crevice of you block to be chewed up by your pump and possibly plug of a port down the road.
If you're going to store it for a long time, like my 340 block i took out for a stroked 360 block. you put lots of Grease on every shiny place in the block, then turn it upside down and fill with cardboard........Then seal with a large garbage bag. Then a blanket over that too help from the bag getting punched.

In a climate control building or house it will take longer but it will still rust just the same.
Hopefully I can get it together pretty quickly I gotta get my engine bay finished up I'm basically just waiting on the weather to cooperate it's either been to cold or raining.

Gotta question for yall. What size tap and plugs do yall use in the heads to plug the smog holes? And what size are the brass plugs in the side of the block? I'm trying to get everything I need to put it together before I get it back.

Gotta question for yall. What size tap and plugs do yall use in the heads to plug the smog holes? And what size are the brass plugs in the side of the block? I'm trying to get everything I need to put it together before I get it back.

I think I used 1/4-20 but I need to go look later for sure. I will tell you to be careful doing the tap work. That cast iron turns to crapola when it’s been heat cycled millions of times and it will grab the tap, snap it off and poo poo all over your day.

Get a GOOD cutting oil, not rapid tap or some crap like that, preferably lard based and go slow, keeping the cutting fluid in there and turn the tap backwards every 1/4-1/2 turn to break the chip.

Old, nasty, heat cycled cast iron is not fun to play with.

I think I used 1/4-20 but I need to go look later for sure. I will tell you to be careful doing the tap work. That cast iron turns to crapola when it’s been heat cycled millions of times and it will grab the tap, snap it off and poo poo all over your day.

Get a GOOD cutting oil, not rapid tap or some crap like that, preferably lard based and go slow, keeping the cutting fluid in there and turn the tap backwards every 1/4-1/2 turn to break the chip.

Old, nasty, heat cycled cast iron is not fun to play with.
Just out of curiosity what would happen if you didnt fill the smog holes? Where do they go in the head?

I wipe grease on all the machined surfaces on engines I store, then wrap with common saran wrap to seal them up.

Here you go @yellow rose here are some pics of my port work on the exhaust. I probably could have went a little more but this was my first port job and better safe than sorry

20190303_212400.jpg

20190303_212353.jpg

20190303_212842.jpg

20190303_212833.jpg

20190303_183156.jpg

20190215_175326.jpg

20190303_212838.jpg

20190215_175330.jpg

20190215_175318.jpg

20190223_161258.jpg

-
Back