Almost time for the machinist!

-
I was mostly worried about it causing him more work and time and in return costing me more money in labor. Yes I'm that cheap! Haha

It sounds better if you say "frugal", I know exactly what you mean, that's why I've been known to use car washes to clean my blocks to remove the big chunks and then hot soapy water at home..........been my experience that a shop quotes a flat "x dollars" to clean a block to be assembly ready reguardless of what condition it was in when you dropped if off. You may be making his life easier, but he's not likely to charge you less; UNLESS you negotiate that up front.

I didn't ask him his procedure for the cleaning process I guess I should have. When i asked him about the bore he said he does it in a package cleaning bore hone and cam bearings for 450 I said I would do the cam bearings myself and he said 350! Then approximately another 100 for the heads so I'm looking at about 500 or so
That is about as good as you are going to get. $100 on the heads is not much work; what is that going to do? Yeah, I made my own cam bearing puller from all-thread and wood discs... seen them installed well, and also poorly.

I didn't ask him his procedure for the cleaning process I guess I should have. When i asked him about the bore he said he does it in a package cleaning bore hone and cam bearings for 450

Not a bad deal I've paid over $500.00.........anymore I'll let the shop do cam bearings.......it sucks to have a broken set sitting on the shelf for years

Not a bad deal I've paid over $500.00.........anymore I'll let the shop do cam bearings.......it sucks to have a broken set sitting on the shelf for years
I bought a new set and I have a extra set just in case. Hopefully I won't need them.

That is about as good as you are going to get. $100 on the heads is not much work; what is that going to do? Yeah, I made my own cam bearing puller from all-thread and wood discs... seen them installed well, and also poorly.
Clean and cut flat. It may be a little more

It sounds better if you say "frugal", I know exactly what you mean, that's why I've been known to use car washes to clean my blocks to remove the big chunks and then hot soapy water at home..........been my experience that a shop quotes a flat "x dollars" to clean a block to be assembly ready reguardless of what condition it was in when you dropped if off. You may be making his life easier, but he's not likely to charge you less; UNLESS you negotiate that up front.
That is a good point I didn't think of that I just assumed that he charged by the hour.

600 + in ordered parts..Well 600 as far as the wife knows LOL + 500 at the Machine Shop...

Just keeping my math straight...

600 + in ordered parts..Well 600 as far as the wife knows LOL + 500 at the Machine Shop...

+ 300 for the pistons I haven't gotten and another 100 plus for the harmonic balancer. I know I know.

I should have just put the damn 318 in it bone stock Haha. I would have never seen those rusty cylinders walls had I not took it apart to regasket it.

I tried to put a cool cloth over your fever (Mopar fever) but now I'm just along for the ride...
This is the engine I would have build eventually anyway I'm just doing it sooner than later. Per my wife's instruction. When the 318 when south I was discussing the options with her, junkyard magnums, Facebook 360, Facebook 318 etc. She said just build the engine that you want to build and not buy another one. So that was all the motivation I needed.
But you have the mopar fever thing down for sure nothing has consumed me this much since i quite drinking! Lol

This is the engine I would have build eventually anyway I'm just doing it sooner than later. Per my wife's instruction. When the 318 when south I was discussing the options with her, junkyard magnums, Facebook 360, Facebook 318 etc. She said just build the engine that you want to build and not buy another one. So that was all the motivation I needed.
But you have the mopar fever thing down for sure nothing has consumed me this much since i quite drinking! Lol
Well see my wife messed me up the same way. And we met at an AA meeting so that should tell you something..
I like this High better...

Well see my wife messed me up the same way. And we met at an AA meeting so that should tell you something..
I like this High better...
I completely agree! I can actually see what I'm spending my money on and actually remember spending it!
3 years sober!

I completely agree! I can actually see what I'm spending my money on and actually remember spending it!
3 years sober!
Had this guy at work asked me if I was rich or something because we bought new snowmobiles. When I added up his monthly bar tab I showed him how much cheaper was to have the snowmobiles. He was pissed LOL...

Had this guy at work asked me if I was rich or something because we bought new snowmobiles. When I added up his monthly bar tab I showed him how much cheaper was to have the snowmobiles. He was pissed LOL...
I had no idea how much I spent . And after I quit it made me sick thinking about how much money I had wasted on that crap. I could have build this car super nice and my barracuda twice over.

Don't forget to take your shoes and socks off for that higher math your working on

I used the silver colored composition gaskets in my 273. They were a Mopar part number. At that time Fel pro had discontinued the red colored 1008's and nothing thin was available.

-
Back