Altered wheelbase update.

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
I was hoping to have the car up and running for this Fathers Day Weekend,but most of you know, as with all projects doesn't always happen the way you would want it to. Thought I'd post up a link to pages 18,19,and 20 on my Dart. After much consideration, I flipped the axle to mount it truck style now(leaf springs over the axle as opposed to under). I know current trends today are to have these gasser style cars 'nose-high' but it alot of the static photos I've come across, they sit for the most part level or even slightly nose down. I also think these new super stock springs are not done with their sagging yet. Fuel lines ,gas ,and the radistor, and shes ready to fry 'em!! Well, the bumpers too!
http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/shop-projects-1/shop-projects/page18.html

Peek-a-boo home-fried headers:hopefully, they'll work better than they appear!!
http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/shop-projects-1/shop-projects/img8014.html

really liked that dart until this pic. damn shame i tell ya.

altered.jpg

the body may have a transplant at this time in it's life,maybe the next owner will install a different powerplant.at least the vehicle isn't rotting away somewhere or being used for target practice.BTW,nice work!Bob

Check out image 460. He's flying the bird to the camera guy. Must feel the same way I do when the camera flashing. To bad about the powerplant. I wish I had the facilities, equipment and talent to work on my stuff like that.

I got the front end buttoned up over the last couple nights. This hood has to be the hardest I've ever aligned! I kinda screwed the pooch with the hood latch as well where I mounted up the trans cooler. I wanted to install hood pins. Now it looks like it'll be a necessity instead of an option. Today, its wiring and also trying to see if I can get a cool old steering wheel to fit up. My list of parts that I'm not using on the car has grown. We mocked up the lower valance(I have a pristine one that came with the car) to see what it'd look like notched and installed. We did it on Steves car, and it looks good, but somehow on mine, it looks outta place and dorky. A chin spoiler will look much more in place. Its kinda cool having it at home. More is getting done on it. I live on a somewhat busy street, and alot of people stop and do a double take. Funny. Most ask if I found the car on EBay! Yea. Then they realize it'll just be a menace to the community, and leave! Loud ,fast, obnoxious, old car. The police'll be here every day. Hmmn? Okay.....

http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/bmw-2002/002.html

really liked that dart until this pic. damn shame i tell ya.
I have to agree. With the obvious level of investment and skill that went into the car there is no excuse for committing such a crime instead of installing a way-cool, period-correct drivetrain. I am sorry. I think that people should be able to do whatever they want to their cars but I would be embarrassed to drive it and I would never hear the end of it from my MOPAR friends. Everything other than the tumor ender the hood looks fantastic!

CHEBY, clearly innovative thinking. Nice work otherwise, but I would have thought a BBM would have found a home.

Good job.

I have to agree. With the obvious level of investment and skill that went into the car there is no excuse for committing such a crime instead of installing a way-cool, period-correct drivetrain. I am sorry. I think that people should be able to do whatever they want to their cars but I would be embarrassed to drive it and I would never hear the end of it from my MOPAR friends. Everything other than the tumor ender the hood looks fantastic!
I have very few friends that own MOPARS, but the ones I do I value their friendship and assistance. Chrysler products have been in my family since I was driven home from the hospital in a Fury. Initially, everyone gave me crap about the choice of drivetrains. They got over it. You should as well. Its hotrodding. Thats all it is. Do I bleed Mopar? No more than I bleed Ford, GM or AMC. I love them all! I'll take any of them. Am I hardcore towards one brand over the other? Not so much like alot of you guys. Sorry. Is what I did "wrong"? If it was a Daytona coupe or a hemi car or a 990? Yup, I'd agree with you all. But it is a Dart. Nothing else.Well, it was a GT. Will it get a 440? Gee, I sure hope so. I got most of the parts to put one together. So, why don't I just wait to do it? Easy. I could be dead in a week. Or a month. Who knows. But, I had a complete, running powerplant, and with just drilling two holes, installed reasonably easy. The 440, to be built reasonably well enough to perform the way I would want it to, would put me around $6,000.00 more in the hole.Just don't have that kind of money right now.
I've got pretty thick skin. I joined the site to learn (which I have, and thanks for helping me with little tidbits on my build) more about the car I built for myself. Along the way, I wanted to share what I have learned in building this altered. It sure seems there is interest in these cars, as there are so few around. Just try and see the car for what it is, not what it should have.As this is an 'A-bodies only' site, if you find it so offensive to have a non-mopar powered car on here, let me know. Its cool. I'll sign out until I get a max wedge under the scoop. :)

I guess I agree except I would rather have a 273 2bbl in my Dart than any boat anchor shivvvvvy motor! Don't get me wrong, I dig your car, but PLEASE, keep it MOPAR!! Back in the day, NOBODY put a chev engine in their mopar, infact, chev guys were putting MOPAR trans in their cars! Your car is soooooooo cool, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't ruin it with that engine!!

I have very few friends that own MOPARS, but the ones I do I value their friendship and assistance. Chrysler products have been in my family since I was driven home from the hospital in a Fury. Initially, everyone gave me crap about the choice of drivetrains. They got over it. You should as well. Its hotrodding. Thats all it is. Do I bleed Mopar? No more than I bleed Ford, GM or AMC. I love them all! I'll take any of them. Am I hardcore towards one brand over the other? Not so much like alot of you guys. Sorry. Is what I did "wrong"? If it was a Daytona coupe or a hemi car or a 990? Yup, I'd agree with you all. But it is a Dart. Nothing else.Well, it was a GT. Will it get a 440? Gee, I sure hope so. I got most of the parts to put one together. So, why don't I just wait to do it? Easy. I could be dead in a week. Or a month. Who knows. But, I had a complete, running powerplant, and with just drilling two holes, installed reasonably easy. The 440, to be built reasonably well enough to perform the way I would want it to, would put me around $6,000.00 more in the hole.Just don't have that kind of money right now.
I've got pretty thick skin. I joined the site to learn (which I have, and thanks for helping me with little tidbits on my build) more about the car I built for myself. Along the way, I wanted to share what I have learned in building this altered. It sure seems there is interest in these cars, as there are so few around. Just try and see the car for what it is, not what it should have.As this is an 'A-bodies only' site, if you find it so offensive to have a non-mopar powered car on here, let me know. Its cool. I'll sign out until I get a max wedge under the scoop. :)
Relax guy. You are very welcome here but I am sure you understand that you are going to catch flak about that everywhere you go. Not just from MOPAR guys but from GM guys too. I have seen it happen around here. Nothing nasty, just the typical gearhead ribbing. It is probably the fact that it is such a well done altered that makes the Chevy engine thing seem so wrong. You obviously put a ton of money and talent into it so it just seemed that doing a MOPAR big block is not that much farther to go. Seeing a Chevy engine in a MOPAR from the 40s on back is not such a big thing but an altered car is something very special. There was a guy around here that had a Hemi crate engine in his Cobra Kit car and the Ford guys went nuts about it. It wasn't even an original car but to them it just seemed wrong.

In 1980 I saw, and heard a 1971 Duster going down the street,
and it had a strange sound to it.

I followed the car till it stopped, and asked the owner,
Whats under the hood??

Chevy 350, and a 200r4 automatic.

It was a nice neat install, and he had done the work himself.

He had 3:73 gears, 8.75 rear,
the car sounded really good going thru the gears. :)

Ever seen a Caddy engine in a Chevy Pickup??

How about a 1957 Hemi in a 32 Ford?

Lotsa different stuff out there folks.

I agree. Different strokes for different folks. It's your car build it the way you want. Is it period correct, probably not, but again who cares?

Get it running and start enjoying it. Then you can drive it to swap meets and start looking for the parts to build a max wedge motor for it!!

Nice work by the way. Stick around the site, I want to see it completed and smoking tires.

I was at a car show last night and the guys and I was laughing at people that put chevy motors in other type vehicles. It seems that it is "ok" to do that in a old type street rod but not in a later model muscle car. The cars seem to lose value far as price and respect when the motor is a chevy.

you hardcore guys need to let this go. Dale's altered Dart is an INCREDIBLE car. Look at the quality of work done to it. at least he is putting a motor in it that will allow him to DRIVE and ENJOY the car, not so it can sit in a garage all its life. motor swapping across brands is the basis of hot-rodding, its been happening since before most of us were born. the chevy motor is a tried-and-true, reliable powerplant that makes a LOT of bang for the buck. The goal is to have fun, and get the car down the track as quick as possible for the least amount of $$$. If a chevy motor is what he needs to do to accomplish this, more power to him.

I LOVE mopars, like the rest of you guys, but in my poinion, this brand-elitism/snobbery is really just a bunch of BS. a cool car is a cool car, no matter what brand it is.

-Tim

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH, CHEVY IN MOPAR GREAT. The only IMHO is that with all the available parts and the internet, the days of chevy motor cause it's cheap or convenient is BS. C'mon. A barely running 440 from craigs dropped between the fenders with period correct 426 Super Commando valve covers and a loppy cam would have fooled 95% of the lookers. It could have been a smog motor with low compression and still turned heads. None-the-less it's your money and your time do as you will. Just how cool it could be with those huge 440 headers plunging through fenderwells and cut-off tips dropping in right after the wheels when you lift the tires off the ground...

Nice job BTW

you hardcore guys need to let this go. Dale's altered Dart is an INCREDIBLE car. Look at the quality of work done to it. at least he is putting a motor in it that will allow him to DRIVE and ENJOY the car, not so it can sit in a garage all its life. motor swapping across brands is the basis of hot-rodding, its been happening since before most of us were born. the chevy motor is a tried-and-true, reliable powerplant that makes a LOT of bang for the buck. The goal is to have fun, and get the car down the track as quick as possible for the least amount of $$$. If a chevy motor is what he needs to do to accomplish this, more power to him.

I LOVE mopars, like the rest of you guys, but in my poinion, this brand-elitism/snobbery is really just a bunch of BS. a cool car is a cool car, no matter what brand it is.

-Tim
You need to re-read some posts and back off the attacks. There is no "elitsm or snobbery" involved here, at least not on my part, and it is rude of you to make such accusations. I just expressed my belief that an altered car is something very special and this particular one is so incredibly well done that it is an awesome candidate for a full period-correct build-out. I would feel exactly the same about seeing a 440 in a Super Duty Pontiac or Ford Thunderbolt. All of the manufacturers made some great stuff back in the day and it is all to be appreciated.

How many 32 Fords have sb Chevys in them? Same difference, it`s just part of hotrodding. The old time hot rod guys would take whatever they needed from whatever they could and make it work. Although it would be nice to see a period correct Max Wedge engine stuffed in between those fenders, right now it is, what it is ,and will probably go like hell Chevy engine and all. Altered wheelbase car = the essence of hotrodding. I admire the workmanship no matter what the powerplant.

How many 32 Fords have sb Chevys in them? Same difference, it`s just part of hotrodding. The old time hot rod guys would take whatever they needed from whatever they could and make it work. Although it would be nice to see a period correct Max Wedge engine stuffed in between those fenders, right now it is, what it is ,and will probably go like hell Chevy engine and all. Altered wheelbase car = the essence of hotrodding. I admire the workmanship no matter what the powerplant.
That is not a good comparison. You have to swap the engine in a '32 Ford for something not even close to original if you want it to perform. That is a completely different situation.

Though I can't seem to find it just now, I think I was one of the first to give funnycar farmer a bad rap on his engine. For the record, I am quite fond of using terms like: "Your car, your money, YOUR choices!". Personally, I DO "bleed MOPAR" and given time money, shop space, etc - I would put 408" MOPAR small block strokers in Mustangs and Camaros with the express reason being to annoy folks at cruise nights, etc who bleed F*rd or generic motors, but in a fun and good spirited way. It's all about Hot Rodding, after all. Just because someone does something I wouldn't do doesn't make THEIR choices WRONG.

(unless they put a ch*vy motor into a classic MOPAR, of course!!!)

Just kidding, FF!

BC

-
Back