alternative kickdown linkage?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
I'm talking Bouchillon or Lokar type cable.
I have a couple of vehicles that could use some sort of alternative linkage to stock...
1st is a truck with a /6 and 727 that is getting super 6'd, the stock super 6 kickdown is damn near impossible to find.
next one is a B body 318/904, that is getting a cam and 4 barrel swap, I think I might have a factory 4 bbl bellcrank setup but not sure if itll work with the carb and intake I plan to run anyway without mods, I've been looking at some $25-30ish braided cable setups on FeeBay taht resemble Lokar etc for a more reasonable price. Anyone ever experiment with one of these setups? My son put (I think it was) Bouchillon on 2 of his vehicles and it looked cobbled as He11....Though not "Factory stock", as long as it works and don't look cobbled, I'm OK with it.
Ive also heard of people using 90s Dakota, Cherokee etc setup. Thoughts on this?

My mechanic/buddy installed the Lokar setup (throttle & "kickdown" cables) on my 318, LD4B intake with 1406 carb. Works great.

DSCN8193.JPG

looks better than the Bouchillon setups I have seen. The "cheaper alternatives" look similar to yours.
I've heard that these aftermarket cable setups wont work on factory Carter 4 barrels? Is that true?
one I'm considering on the 318, is a TQ that I have here. but not on a factory intake.

Schwinn makes the best cable setups. The radius of the carb linkage has to be coordinated with the kd lever radius on the trans, or all the adjusting in the world won't make it right.

Do I have to look them around the other side like on a stock magnum engine?

i've been using the lokar set up for over 20 years with great results.. stay away from the cheap copies on ebay and all.

Well, ya, it has to pull back. And if you can't find the right radius below the throttle shaft, you have to go above and from the front. That doesn't necessarily make the cable very much longer; since you have to loop around from the passenger side anyway.

I've used a couple of Lokar set ups on friends rides and no one has complained. Better than nothing or the wrong one that smokes your tranny!
But manual valve body works great and if you've got enough torque and gear you can leave in 3rd!

looks better than the Bouchillon setups I have seen. The "cheaper alternatives" look similar to yours.
I've heard that these aftermarket cable setups wont work on factory Carter 4 barrels? Is that true?
one I'm considering on the 318, is a TQ that I have here. but not on a factory intake.
Don, for the 68 Barracuda I looked at the cheaper eBay kick down cables but decided to go with the actual Lokar cable kit. It was easy to adapt to the GM Vortec TB that I am running and came with the correct adapters for the 904 transmission. Easy to adjust and functions fine.

Don, for the 68 Barracuda I looked at the cheaper eBay kick down cables but decided to go with the actual Lokar cable kit. It was easy to adapt to the GM Vortec TB that I am running and came with the correct adapters for the 904 transmission. Easy to adjust and functions fine.
Good to know.
And on the vehicles in question a manual valve body is out of the question, though I can see what you mean, "if I did so"

I have Lokar KD and throttle cables on my Duster, nice quality and I love the adjustability (using the threaded nuts that hold the cable ends to get the trans shifting JUST right). I think they're worth the price to stay "genuine", I can think of a few ways those cheap knock-off setups wouldn't last or work that well.

The knockoffs I'm looking at claim a lifetime warranty. And come with brackets to mount.
For $25ish if it don't work I ain't out much. Someone had a used "real" lokar on there for like $37. Someone else beat me to it though.

-
Back